Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For the other rock-gatherers from our trip.....I soaked the rocks I am gifting, along with those I am keeping inside, in hot water and Dawn overnight, then scrubbed them again this morning with an old toothbrush.

This worked very well. There seem to be other mineral deposits inherent in some, which don't scrub out...part of their unique beauty.

Maggie
Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #222
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found this photo online of polished chalcedony rose....beautiful.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	244013  
Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #223
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Sorry I missed this great sounding trip. How did the Interstate(s) do in the muddy roads? I've never taken mine off the beaten path yet
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:56 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We got to miss the muddy and ruddy roads into the Gila, as kind others offered us rides in their trucks.

I went to Chaco in mine, tho, and it did just fine on the washboard and rutted roads.........drive very slowly, wander back and forth across the road to find the smoothest path, and it's all good. .

No problem.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #225
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
We finally stopped at a place with wifi, and wanted to say thanks to Ray and Nancy for getting the trip together. It was great meeting everyone, and we'll look forward to meeting again. We enjoyed exploring southwest New Mexico, and are now on our way to Santa Fe for a few more weeks of cool weather. I keep looking at the forecast for central Texas (100 degree plus for the foreseeable future) and wonder why we want to go back. Ugh.
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #226
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
Hey Richard & Shelly, enjoy Santa Fe and the nice stretch of dry weather (finally!) if you get a chance, please post some photos of your site at Black Canyon CG...

Cheers!
Chris & Carla
Thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #227
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438901537.885592.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438901582.531749.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  123.4 KB
These were taken Monday morning.
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful pictures, Richard!

Maggie
Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #229
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
Hey Richard! - I can see why you like it... really beautiful! 'looks more like an enchanted Black Forest. - I'm not sure I could bear to return to central Texas until at least October!?!

Cheers!
Chris & Carla
Thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hey, everyone!

I finally sent off pictures of each participant a bit ago, but they will only go from the IPad mini via my ICloud email account. I have no idea why.

I can't remember how to access this, so if you have sent any response be aware I can't read it.

My son, and 24-hour tech support, is on his way out of town, so I won't have any info from him probably til next weekend.

If your picture did not come thru, email me at the yahoo.com address and I will resend.

Thanks.

Maggie
Old 08-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Maggie... I received my photo, but who is the woman standing next to me? You might want to post it with the hope someone will identify her for me.

The sign in the background showed Pie Town to the east and Quemado to the west. The Mile Marker was 0.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ray & Nancy Eklund, in Quemado, NM.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	245092  
Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
ASK those that survived this trip...

For those of you who were not able to make the trip to Quemado, NM, this place still exists. So do the individuals that attended who can supply you with all of the answers to your questions.

It is still there. Unlimited activities... or at least what activities that do exist are unlimited. The Summer climate is wonderful, if the monsoon weather of the summer months can be timed to miss any rain showers.

There is no need for air conditioning with evenings in the upper 50's to lower 60's. The Quemado Lake campsite has dry camping to full hookups available. For those not use to dry camping in the Pinon and Junipers... there are options. This location is on the map south of Quemado. The days are crisp and into the mid 80's.

You do not need a tour guide or a group to explore. All you need is a Forest Service map and go into the unknown.

Contact any of those who have attended and I would not be surprised that they are capable and know their way around this volcanic area at 7600'. I have been in the area in April and into September with the same wonderful experiences.

Amazing finds of chalcedony were found by trip members who learned quickly how to locate these unusual forms of chalcedony, a close relative of banded agates and common opals. Some specimens were museum quality for the unusual forms. Just the luck of the hunt. We were only able to get so far back into the rougher roads when the thunderstorms forced us to retreat.

If you believe this area is too far... so did those who live in New Mexico. Sometimes people do not look at the places close to home being of any interest as it is too... close. You just have to imagine, to explore your own State.

I am sure there will be a number from this trip that will return and complete another leg of the adventure. It has taken me eight years to understand just some of this area, geologically and I still have no clue what is around the next mesa!

Feel free to jump onto this Thread and ask other trip members questions and what they would recommend you to do on a possible trip, solo or with company. There are no bad questions. I can guarantee that once you have been exposed to this kind of environment, the area will enchant you as it has done myself. The camping possibilities are unlimited.

The only other area that I know that meets this high criteria are the Badlands of western Nebraska and Fort Robinson State Park near Crawford, Nebraska.