Old 07-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So sorry to hear all of that, Laura!

Was looking forward to meeting you, maybe next year when Ray does Wyoming. I am hoping to get back for that.

What a bummer at JC.....and that they didn't tell you.

Hope it all gets satisfactorily resolved, and soon, Laura, and that you are back on the road.

Take care,

Maggie

Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And then there were 7.

SOUTHWEST ROCKDOCKING 2015

Ray Eklund
Thalweg
unifreck
traveluminum
Lily&Me
mstcswagb20
Thinair

Maggie

Old 07-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #185
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
Sorry to hear of your troubles ramblin girl!

One more monsoon dazzler from last night in Taos!

Look forward to meeting all in Quemado!

Chris & Carla

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436380279.620340.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	242443
Old 07-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #186
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I hope ALL of you post pictures to show your peeps what we have missed!
Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Our Wagon is ready to roll...

Had a big surprise several days ago when traveluminum and his parents arrived at our place outside of Castle Rock towing two restored Airstreams done by traveluminum. Since we live on the far end of the neighborhood and no traffic, they all found the street flat and a good place to take a break from their Colorado High Country... rain, rain and cool damp... rain. Two absolutely beautiful restored Airstreams. I think his parents got the better of the two with their 1959 Airstream! They headed to Raton Pass on the Colorado/New Mexico border where there is a RV Park, which must be on the Raton Pass Summit. A good way to see the weather coming from Colorado and blowing into New Mexico.

If we are lucky, Thinair can dazzle those who could not make this trip with photographs.

Our trailer's water lines are flushed and primed as of this moment. Hot water tank filled in the process and added 12 gallons into our fresh water tank. Refrigerator is stocked, down to operating temperatures and enough water for our two Blue Heelers to quench their thirst on our way to Quemado.

Possibly next year Tan Son Nhut might be tempted on a future Off the Grid tour. Also those with late arriving conflicting matters of importance or Airstream JC issues.

Since May of this year and as I type, we have had so much rain, nearly every day and heavy. Last year was not much different. Although we welcome the rain, we have had more than our share of snow and rain with a scattering of sunny dry days. It IS green here. Even Wyoming is off our list of places to go this year.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am in Socorro....have had the day from hell, and soon will have a glass of wine and try to change my frame of mind.

See y'all soon.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #189
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
The hook is in, I am biting! We have a 34' sailboat we sailed to the Bahamas and back to Cape Cod two years ago.
I am looking forward to our planned trip to the Canadian Maritimes and then down to the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque this year.
Had I known about Ray's adventurous trip I would NOT have committed to New Mexico, I would be there on July 13 (my 70th Bday) to learn many new experiences and knowledge that I lack about "Boondocking".
I am envious of ALL of you! Please post pictures so I can convince my wife for next year!
Good luck to all, Be safe and have a GREAT time!
Bob Beggan (Tan Son Nhut)
Old 07-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Off the Grid tourism for 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan Son Nhut View Post
The hook is in, I am biting! We have a 34' sailboat we sailed to the Bahamas and back to Cape Cod two years ago.
Bob Beggan (Tan Son Nhut)
When those who attend this Off the Grid trip get together, we will discuss what are the Dream Boondocking Adventure routes in the Rocky Mountains region. I have my ideas which can work through well known National Parks and Monuments, but camped Off the Grid for most evenings.

We rarely use RV Parks but set up camp in areas that seem remote, because they are just difficult to FIND by the 99% of tourists who prefer the safety of numbers, where people outnumber the wildlife. We have camped with the Grand Teton directly in view, but on National Forest dry camping in Wyoming. Others have mentioned areas in Idaho, outside of Jackson Hole, Wyoming that are very nice but not visited by us as we have been there too many times.

Anyone who can read a chart to sail can sure sit down and also work out a grid as to Places to Visit, circle them and work out how to make the best of a trip, while using Off the Grid campsites. Both have their benefits. At Quemado I will see if any of this hardy group see anything positive in exploring and touring mixture. We find it pleasant and finding hidden jewels within the mountains is well worth the effort.

Since this is not something that can be covered as I type, we will have plenty of time to sit around and dream up one, two or five years worth of potential tours of Geological, Archaeological and just for the vast beauty of an area to experience.

We will see. I think there will be plenty of input from those on this trip. I am just crazy enough to sit down and work something out with them...
Old 07-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #191
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Panama City , Florida
Hi Maggie, we'll be passing thru Roswell shortly on our way to Socorro. Looking forward to meeting you there. Hope your day got better after the wine break!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
See you soon!

Maggie
Old 07-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #193
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
Hey, everyone. We'll be a day late, but have directions. We'll explain when we get there. Sorry, but don't wait for us in quemado. Richard and Shelly

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for letting us know.

Travel safe, and we'll see you Tuesday.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #195
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
First of all let me say I'm hooked, so Maggie or Ray, add me to the list of candidates for the 2016 edition. We didn't sign up this year as my 95 YO Mom suffered a stroke and we didn't feel comfortable making a commitment others might rely on.

As it turns out our Rig is at the AS dealer in Mesa anyway having the curbside wheel well and banana wrap repaired/replaced as a result of running over something bad 20 miles north of ABQ a few weeks ago. Seems they took a couple of weeks off to attend Farmington, allegedly back at their job now, but the process is slow. Good folks, though.

Ray, there is an absolutely terrific campground at the Whittington Center south of Raton. Separate 30 and 50 amp campgrounds with clean heated showers (we woke up to snow the end of May), full hookups and all for $27.00. The campground is about 8800 feet. Traveluminum can tell us if he stayed there. If not, highly recommended for when you want full hookups in the area.

Maggie, Lily will do fine. We travel with three "girls" and our Lily also is assertive the first time she meets others of her tribe. Some of it is that she's mostly Terrier and some of it may be that she's a survivor of two coyote attacks. So her first instinct is to level the playing field. She stays on leash, until the initial growling and sniffing is over then peace reigns.

Y'all have a great trip, take lots of picture and bring back lots of stories - then share them. Those of us back here are envious.

Be safe.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Ice Man.

We are 3 rigs in Quemado tonite, temps are quite cool and humidity free.

Lily has met Dingo and Blue, the Eklunds blue heelers. They did their little who's-the-boss dance....umm, that would be Lily ....and then were just fine.

All is well, and adventure awaits.

Maggie