Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Needles Outpost Canyonlands NP

We took a nice trip through OK, CO, UT, AZ, NM and back to TX. Our destination was Needles Outpost just outside Canyonlands NP. The park has no water/electric but does have water available and a nice little store/restaurant. I know some have found the hostess not to their liking, but we found her and her husband to be way more than anyone could ask. Don’t feel like cooking, they will make you a nice meal. The park also has a nice bath house. You pay for the showers but you have to consider they have to truck in their water from a spring in the NP and the NP charges them for the water.

The main draw is the camp faces west over the canyon lands and the sunset is unbeatable. I wish I could take sunset pitchers worth posting. It is not high overlooking the river but a really really nice place. The drive in is long but it has its own great views of canyon walls.

Here is the site and from above on the rocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	195462

Name:	camp1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	195463

We also went to Dead Horse for the views and to Arches. Also took a ride up into the mountains from the entry road and checked out a NF camp in case it was too hot down low. At this camp we saw two bears. It is always nice to see wildlife. The tent is not mine and was abandoned or already "visited".

Name:	bear.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	195467

On the return trip one stop was to be Meteor Crater in AZ. I became concerned by the advertisement signage and the attempt of this place to appear to be a government park. I should have done my research. The cost is $18 per person. We passed. Maybe their sites are nice and their museum and tours are nice as well, but we felt we were misled and the price too steep to view a hole in the ground. I say avoid it.

We saw a few AS on the road. An older one at a grocery in Blanding UT. Also, the RV park in Bluff UT has at least a handful of shiny trailers if not all AS. What is this park about?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Maybe you saw the Southwest Adventure Caravan (WBCCI) during their brief stay in Bluff?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I hiked in Canyonlands

I took shade under that big tree in the second picture. Didn't help, It was HOT. I stayed at the outpost campground after the hike, watched the sunset, then got attacked by a million mosquitos. A minute later, my vision went wacky. Bats were dive bombing the bugs. I slept on top of my bag with a sheet over me. NOT ONE bug bite all night.
The outdoor eating area at the outpost is shared with many hummingbirds.
If you ( don't ) continue along the road in the first picture, the road becomes a narrow cliff ledge on the side of a plateau. Last year, my nephew drove up it on a motorcycle, had second thoughts, but was afraid to turn around. Twenty some odd years ago, my brother and I went up the that road in a gerry-rigged Toyota. Again....DON"T. Many places in the region leave or create obstacles like that to keep " tourists " in gigantic motorhomes away. Anyway...that's my take on it
Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Maybe you saw the Southwest Adventure Caravan (WBCCI) during their brief stay in Bluff?
Did not stay in Bluff but saw the RV park. I thought about just pulling through to check it out. Should have, but I am not good at stopping and checking it out. I need to work on that.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I took shade under that big tree in the second picture. Didn't help, It was HOT. I stayed at the outpost campground after the hike, watched the sunset, then got attacked by a million mosquitos. A minute later, my vision went wacky. Bats were dive bombing the bugs. I slept on top of my bag with a sheet over me. NOT ONE bug bite all night.
The outdoor eating area at the outpost is shared with many hummingbirds.
If you ( don't ) continue along the road in the first picture, the road becomes a narrow cliff ledge on the side of a plateau. Last year, my nephew drove up it on a motorcycle, had second thoughts, but was afraid to turn around. Twenty some odd years ago, my brother and I went up the that road in a gerry-rigged Toyota. Again....DON"T. Many places in the region leave or create obstacles like that to keep " tourists " in gigantic motorhomes away. Anyway...that's my take on it
Tracy said that mosquitoes can be bad after a rain, same with flies. We had neither. Bats were all about, right above our heads. Cool stuff.

Storms on the west horizon were cool. Watching the stars and meteors was real nice (Dallas has too much light pollution). Nothing like clear desert sky for star gazing.

It got hot one day but we were out to Dead Horse and the mountains. I ran the generator each day to keep the batteries charged. On the hot day, maybe close to 100, maybe above, the refer had a hard time. I suspect the inside of the trailer was quite hot. At night it cooled off quite a bit and with the FF blowing in was comfortable sleeping.