Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I purchased a small Engel for our sailboat and the Airstream. We have solar on the boat and our 2014 25' FC. We store the freezer under the table. Filled it with steaks, chicken, lamb, pork and shrimp before we departed for 3 mos in the Maritimes.
During the day I turned it up to the highest setting, at night the lowest freezer setting. Cloudy days, I used my CPAP battery. Also have a couple of Honda 2000's

Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have two Yetis and love them. Precooling is important for best results. We also have the Yeti Ice and the Yeti tumblers which are fantastic for keeping your drinks cold or your coffee hot.

2015 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2004 19' Bambi
Cincinnati , Ohio
Be careful about using dry ice in an enclosed space.
Richard Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Go with a fridge freezer

Yes, it has a higher upfront cost, but you will never again have to purchase ice or dry ice, worry about soggy items in melted ice, etc. We bought a 50 qt. ARB last year and mounted it in a temporary rig in the back seat area of my Tundra. It runs great off of the 12V during the day (I bought a Goal Zero 400 to keep things cool while we are out hiking during the day or when boondocking at night). It can operate as a freezer (you intended use at first), but then as a fridge or freezer as your needs dictate in the future. We love to have access to cool drinks while on the road, and have cold water and lunch items while the Airstream is parked and we are out hiking and exploring whatever area our travels take us. It is great coming back to the truck after hiking in the desert and have ice cold beverages waiting, while never having to worry about ice on a daily basis in the desert.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Cold goes down heat rises , so I always put frozen or cold foods on the bottom of any type of cooler, and then use dry ice or use bagged ice in zip locks on top. The melted ice (water) is then easily poured into my drink yetis, so refreshing. Want carbonation in your juice add a small piece of dry ice (MAKE SURE IT MELTS BEFORE YOU DRINK your carbonated juice), so you don't get any dry ice pieces in your body.
Freezer burns are dangerous. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2016 25' International
shioloh , Illinois
In reguards to freezing food for a long week;may I sugest even cooking meats. I precook hamburger, shredded pork etc, I marinate chicken as well. I put it into pre portioned ziplock bags and freeze flat on cookie sheet. Then it stacks nicely in freezer.
KpEfonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #21
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
Have owned a Yeti for almost 3 years. But now I've seen, and friends own some equivalents. They are costing half. Shop. Good recommendations above. I won't endorse a brand, but the one's I might have been mentioned.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
check the charter sailboat forums... there used to be tons of recs on how to store/cool food while on smallish boats in warm climes...
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Originally Posted by KpEfonthego View Post
In reguards to freezing food for a long week;may I sugest even cooking meats. I precook hamburger, shredded pork etc, I marinate chicken as well. I put it into pre portioned ziplock bags and freeze flat on cookie sheet. Then it stacks nicely in freezer.
From a food safety point of view, this is a good idea.

NOMB but I'm curious as to why you need to take so much frozen food. On longer trips we rely more on dried foods and canned goods.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Not sure about the logic of using both dry ice and regular ice, except the dry ice will keep the regular ice from melting and then it will do it's cooling when the dry ice is gone.
We packed things in dry ice for a move and then had some still left over after a couple of days. I put it in the freezer and it was completely gone the next morning ....Duuh!
JCWDCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We have the ARB 50 and love it. We leave it plugged in at all times in the tow vehicle even overnight with the engine off and parked. It's just that efficient, it has a sensor that reads the battery power and will shut down the fridge if the battery begins to drain, but will still stay cold because it is a cooler too. Never buy ice again and no soggy food, too sweet.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #26
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
Bob, the questions you have to ask are - how much extra food do you need, and how often is this likely to be a need.

I have had both Engel and National Luna fridges. Both were combo units that had freezer/fridge, freezer/freezer, or fridge/fridge capabilities. If you have the coin, the National Luna comes in stainless steel. But honestly, the Engel and the NL were both fantastic units.

We also have a Yeti 45 cooler. (a worthwhile investment).

If this is a need that you will face on a regular basis, I'd look at a small 35 or 45 quart fridge/freezer and keep it in your tow vehicle. (unless you have the spare room in the trailer) The battery drain is minimal.

Hope that helps.
The Jarretts
Nashville, Tennessee
2015 25' Eddie Bauer
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Assuming you can run the AS fridge and freezer off propane while traveling and boondocking...If you choose the right food items, some might last for a week or more in the refrigerator once they are thawed. Perhaps you could choose prefrozen items at the store, or freeze some items at home in sealed freezer bags, then pack some of them in a "less expensive" cooler on ice while traveling. Once the ice is gone, move them to the fridge. These would be the items that have the longest shelf life in the fridge once they are thawed. The other items with short refrigerator shelf life (once thawed) could stay in the AS freezer the longest and dethawed last.

phann is offline   Reply With Quote