Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
Need advice.

We are looking to buy a AS soon and we will be mainly boondocking. We are looking at a 23FB or a 25FB. Should we be looking for something smaller?
RedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
Should we be looking for something smaller?
why?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
We want to be able to use NM and Colorado National Forest campgrounds and do not want to have a TT that is too big.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I'm towing with a 06 Ford Expedition which is essentially a 1/4 ton. We have over 12,000 miles towing all over the West, including up and down several mountains, with no problems.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Good question

Quote:
We want to be able to use NM and Colorado National Forest campgrounds and do not want to have a TT that is too big.
It is not just the AS length, although the campgrounds use TT length as a guide, they almost never measure. Many times the campground maps and descriptions of campsites are just plain wrong, usually much larger than what is printed. The real question is will you fit and can you maneuver your truck and trailer in the space available. We have a 25FB and have not found a situation where we were denied access even though some sites were designated for 23 feet. We also found that when we switched from a CrewCab-Long Bed truck to a Short Bed truck, the task of getting into tight spots became easier.

Buy the Airstream that fits you comfortably, if the 23 is it, go for it, but if the 25 is your thing, don't let the fear of access into some parks be the reason to say no.

Just opinion here, based on our experience.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
23 or 25 should get you into most any space. Some older places do have restrictions on size, but those restrictions are usually closer to the 30 foot mark.
Call around to the parks. Do some homework where you think you might want to stay. "Let your fingers do the walking".
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
We are looking to buy a AS soon and we will be mainly boondocking. We are looking at a 23FB or a 25FB. Should we be looking for something smaller?
If I remember correctly, Airstream measures including the tongue. Most other trailers do not include the tongue. So a 25' Airstream is the same as 22' SOB. I have not had any impossible situations in any campgrounds just a tight one in the redwoods in No Cal.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
_

. , .
red

this issue comes up regularly.

in 29 years of 'steaming i've been in one park that couldn't handle longer units.

the issue for me when boondocking is water and smaller trailers have smaller fresh tanks and holding tanks.

yes there are others ways to carry water.

we tend to read about a few famous spots that have length issues, and seldom from folks who OWN long trailers.

so to me it's a bit like worrying about a shark bite while swimming in lake michigan.

in general MANY more folks go UP in size because the first trailer is too small...

than go down in size because of access issues.

here are just a few of the 100s of threads on this issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rks-43474.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ize-42426.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...get-40751.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ost-35193.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...est-30668.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nds-43668.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tes-24793.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We live in Western Colorado and have a 28' and have had no problems thus far...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
AS= Airstream

We have a 20' and have camped in many places where a larger unit would have been difficult - not impossible, but difficult. We also really liked the floor plan of the 20. So I think that should be your deciding factor- which floor plan works best for you.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We've done a lot of camping without hookups available. National forest campgrounds seem to have good sized slots with good clearance in general. They'll put sites where you'd drag your tail backing in but there usually are enough other choices. Only a small number of natl forest campgrounds take reservations in our area.

State forest campgrounds are another issue altogether. They're widely variable and you've just got to cruise sites when you get there. Branches may be low enough in some that a tent or popup would be all that fits. They won't appreciate your efforts at making it big enough for an Airstream. All Airstreams are virtually the same height.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
A 23 or 25 ought to fit most places. But if boondocking is your thing, think a) tank size; and b) batteries or generator or solar. It's no fun to find THE perfect spot for a few days' R&R and then before the few days are up, to run out of water or black tank capacity or electricity.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
A 23 or 25 ought to fit most places. But if boondocking is your thing, think a) tank size; and b) batteries or generator or solar. It's no fun to find THE perfect spot for a few days' R&R and then before the few days are up, to run out of water or black tank capacity or electricity.

I agree with all of the above.

I boondock, a lot, an absurd amount in fact. If the question is truly boondocking as opposed to national forest campgrounds, then the real issue is WIDTH. When you get into the boonies, it is common for the prime boondocking spots to be down narrow lanes or tracts. A couple of my favorite boondocking spots would simply be inaccessible with a wide body. So if you really mean boondocking when you say boondocking, then you might want to think about the narrow body that the vintage units have

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Red -

I'd advise getting the biggest one you are comfortable paying for and towing. I agree with the advice about the bigger tanks (fresh as well as grey/black). I REALLY wanted a 19/22 footer - and my wife talked me into the 28 - bigger bed and space to move around on rainy days - I'm glad she did. We've been to 15 campgrounds and we are usually the SMALLEST trailer there. State parks and national parks have not been a problem.

Beat of luck!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
Smile Thanks

Thank you for all your comments.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
cwv
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
cookeville , Tennessee
i have a queston..what are the numbers across the top in big red #for i just got a 1970 airstream .would really like to what the #are for
cwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The big red numbers are the membership number in the Wally Byam Caravan Club, Int'l (WBCCI) for the trailer owners. A membership directory is published annually and folks can look you up plus your state of origin just by the red numbers.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We love the 25, have never been been stuck while boon-docking, the tanks are just the right size for the two of us.

Our last trip to the Adirondacks, 4 adults two dogs,10 days, no problems.
Though the operative word here may be adults.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 166.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	69036   Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 031.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	69037  

Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Must agree with Robert Cross, our 25 Ft has served us well. We were particularly happy with it while camping at Chiricahua Nat'l Monument in Arizona. Any larger Airstream TT would not have cleared the drainage ditches crossing the roadway which accesses 1/2 of the parks available 25 spaces. The rear of the trailer would have dragged on the concrete after the tow vehicle had cleared. This was a beautiful campground built by the CCC in the 1930s. Owners of large units were quite disappointed to be turned away at the visitors center due to being oversized. The 25 is very maneuverable in tight spaces and concerns of the back end of it dragging when crossing ditches getting on and off the roadways (i.e. accessing shopping parking lots) are minimal.
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
A 23 or 25 foot AS option

For western US National Forest roughing it camping a 25 foot will get you where you want to stay. If you buy a 23 foot AS, you will be wishing you had the 25 footer in a year or two, or in three weeks after buying a smaller AS.

We pull our 23 foot Safari anywhere we can travel as long as we have road clearance. Having a 4x4 as a tow vehicle is a must. Not that you will need the 4x4, but when you do... If your towing ability is below average, go for the 23 foot or smaller dual axle AS. If you are a competent driver with a trailer in tow, go for the 25 footer. Nothing like having about 3 more linear feet of living space, a bit more width, a larger refrigerator and room to roam. Our "Rockdocking" requires a dual axle to cross creeks, small angular erosion in gravel roads and other irregular terrane. The black and grey water valves are your biggest worry for off asphalt travel, and having a spotter for those tight squeezes to avoid leaving your PVC pipes along a trench.

Bring trimming tools for removing low hanging branches and bushes that will drag along the sides of your AS or rake your roof accessories. Bring several so everyone can clear the brush along side the road. Believe me, you WILL need trimming equipment. Bring one or two sturdy short handled shovels for... road building. Also a two foot long, 2 inch by 12 inch board for tricky obstacle crossings...

For practice, try some of the off road camping locations that other AS owners have been so generous to offer on this forum! These AS owners know what is going on.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote