Lubbock , Texas
Smile Thanks

Thank you for all your comments.

RedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
cookeville , Tennessee
i have a queston..what are the numbers across the top in big red #for i just got a 1970 airstream .would really like to what the #are for

cwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The big red numbers are the membership number in the Wally Byam Caravan Club, Int'l (WBCCI) for the trailer owners. A membership directory is published annually and folks can look you up plus your state of origin just by the red numbers.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

We love the 25, have never been been stuck while boon-docking, the tanks are just the right size for the two of us.

Our last trip to the Adirondacks, 4 adults two dogs,10 days, no problems.
Though the operative word here may be adults.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	69036   Click image for larger version

Views:	92
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	69037  

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Must agree with Robert Cross, our 25 Ft has served us well. We were particularly happy with it while camping at Chiricahua Nat'l Monument in Arizona. Any larger Airstream TT would not have cleared the drainage ditches crossing the roadway which accesses 1/2 of the parks available 25 spaces. The rear of the trailer would have dragged on the concrete after the tow vehicle had cleared. This was a beautiful campground built by the CCC in the 1930s. Owners of large units were quite disappointed to be turned away at the visitors center due to being oversized. The 25 is very maneuverable in tight spaces and concerns of the back end of it dragging when crossing ditches getting on and off the roadways (i.e. accessing shopping parking lots) are minimal.
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
A 23 or 25 foot AS option

For western US National Forest roughing it camping a 25 foot will get you where you want to stay. If you buy a 23 foot AS, you will be wishing you had the 25 footer in a year or two, or in three weeks after buying a smaller AS.

We pull our 23 foot Safari anywhere we can travel as long as we have road clearance. Having a 4x4 as a tow vehicle is a must. Not that you will need the 4x4, but when you do... If your towing ability is below average, go for the 23 foot or smaller dual axle AS. If you are a competent driver with a trailer in tow, go for the 25 footer. Nothing like having about 3 more linear feet of living space, a bit more width, a larger refrigerator and room to roam. Our "Rockdocking" requires a dual axle to cross creeks, small angular erosion in gravel roads and other irregular terrane. The black and grey water valves are your biggest worry for off asphalt travel, and having a spotter for those tight squeezes to avoid leaving your PVC pipes along a trench.

Bring trimming tools for removing low hanging branches and bushes that will drag along the sides of your AS or rake your roof accessories. Bring several so everyone can clear the brush along side the road. Believe me, you WILL need trimming equipment. Bring one or two sturdy short handled shovels for... road building. Also a two foot long, 2 inch by 12 inch board for tricky obstacle crossings...

For practice, try some of the off road camping locations that other AS owners have been so generous to offer on this forum! These AS owners know what is going on.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
I'm towing with a 06 Ford Expedition which is essentially a 1/4 ton. We have over 12,000 miles towing all over the West, including up and down several mountains, with no problems.

Did I say 1/4 ton?

I meant 1/2 ton.

Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #22
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I have done a good amount of camping in NPs and SPs out west and Alaska with a 3/4 ton GMC club coupe SRW 2WD 8' bed and a Lance 10' truck camper. I never I had any problems with sites. Now I have a 2002 Ford F-350 SRW 2WD crew cab with 8' bed and 25' Classic. The TT size would not be a problem. I can see having problems due to the length of the TV getting into tight sites with narrow roads. Any experience with short TT and long TV's??
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #23

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Width again

Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I agree with all of the above.

I boondock, a lot, an absurd amount in fact. If the question is truly boondocking as opposed to national forest campgrounds, then the real issue is WIDTH. When you get into the boonies, it is common for the prime boondocking spots to be down narrow lanes or tracts. A couple of my favorite boondocking spots would simply be inaccessible with a wide body. So if you really mean boondocking when you say boondocking, then you might want to think about the narrow body that the vintage units have
Just remembered this image from this summer in Colorado. You wouldn't want to tow a wide body up Rat Creek. The road is just the width of the truck and see them willows up ahead?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I drove down to Echo Park Campground with my previously mentioned vehicle and truck camper. It would take a short wheelbased TV and short TV to make around the hairpin turns. I got my time in and out. Thirteen miles got over 1 hours. After the trip I had to get the front end realigned.

Echo Park Campground

Echo Park Campground is located 38 miles north of the Canyon Area Visitor Center. It is located near the confluence of the Green and Yampa rivers. Access to the campground requires high-clearance vehicles. RVs and trailers are strongly discouraged due to sharp turns and steep grades.
Echo Park Campground has 22 sites, including one handicapped-accessible site and four walk-in sites. There is some shade. Suitable for tent camping. There is running water and vault toilets. No showers. Check with a ranger for current fire-use policy. Fee is $8 per site, per night. There are no reservations, but the campground rarely fills. The water is turned off from September to mid-April, and there is no camping fee at that time.
There is one group site. For group reservations, click here for a reservation form or call (435) 781-7759 to have a reservation form mailed to you.
Echo Park Campground is open year-round, but access is dependent on weather. The last 13 miles of dirt road are impassable when wet. Winter access is often impossible due to snow.

halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, Colorado can be tricky for Boon docking... One minute the road is fine and the next there's a 3 foot deep wash, and no place to turn around.... We go up to silver Jack in the summer.... I have scouted most of the roads I wanted to go up and glad i didn't... Saw some trailers up there but I know they bottomed them out.. Always best to disconnect and drive up the road if your not sure...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Kelly , Wyoming
Here is my opinion for true, pure boondocking (under the most conservative of interpretations, i.e. unimproved, rough country spots with no hookups, etc. Your length is of secondary importance to ground clearance, especially as it pertains to the dump outlets, front jack height, rear over hang and such.
Twenty-three or five feet will get you into most spots, but you DO NOT want to get hung up on your the underside - Believe me!!! You esp. donít want to rip off your sewer outlets! Oh what a mess:-(
DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #27

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Halimer, I am truly impressed that you took your 25'er down (and back up again) to Echo Park. I was glad to get my truck in and out.

Beautiful place, though. You'll recognize the wagon in my avatar.

oops - just realized that you took a truck camper, not your airstream. Oh, well.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
We have been up to Silver Jack and came in to it from the Cimarron side. I was on what you would consider a narrow county road or forest service road used primarily by ranchers. It wasn't a bad trip but the roads were so washboardy we had to put a lot of dishes back in the cupboards after reaching campsite.
Will be glad when we can get back out and do some boondocking.

Member Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105

dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote