Old 04-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Need a good 5 gal water container

I often camp in locations where you can get water from a spigot that's too far to hook up to with a hose. I use an Igloo 5 gallon container and carry the water to my AS. The container has the necessary water spout that will fit into the Airstream's tank input. It also has a vent that speeds the movement of water from container to tank. However, the container leaks where the threaded spout connects to the container. I've had several of these--each time thinking the next one won't leak--but they all do. I stand at the side of the trailer, pants getting wet, mentally composing a letter to the head of Igloo about how he ought to try his own stuff from time to time.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that produces a tank with the necessary spout and vent and that doesn't leak?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 04-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Get a steel tank. Less prone to leaks than plastic.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
This is what we use:

Amazon.com : Reliance Rhino-Pak Heavy Duty Water Container (Grey, Medium) : Camping Water Storage : Sports & Outdoors
Old 04-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I like the blue "Aqua-tainers" that you can get at Walmart for about $12 or $15. They are 7 gallon, but just don't fill it up all the way if you think that's to much. They are made of a type of plastic that won't leach into the water.

After the Durecho storm a few years back where we lost power for 4 days (and hence couldn't run the well pump) I vowed to never be without water again. I have a bunch of them full of water (you put like two tablespoons of bleach in the water and it's basically preserved forever).

We lost power for a day last summer. Into the Silver Tube, used the Honda Genny to run the vents (too small for the a/c), and put 40 gallons of water from the Aqua-tainers into the freshwater tank so I could take a shower and wash dishes.

Power came back on 3 hours later...but I am convinced that it would not have if I had not put the freshwater into the coach.

Aqua-tainers have a valve nozzle, but a long thin funnel helps. In my Time-Of-Need, I took a 2L pop bottle, cut a rectangular hole in one side, and used that as a horizontal funnel. Worked excellently.

McGyver has nothing on me

Get you a dozen Aqua-tainers and never worry again
Old 04-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I'm gonna try the Rhino. I tried the Aqua Packs and found the need for a funnel and the low flow of the valves to be a deal breaker. Thanks for the responses. And I'm still open to even better solutions.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Go find a rubber gasket that fits where the spigot threads to the container. Perhaps a mason jar ring is the right size. If you can't find the right size, cut one out of a piece of rubber.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lakeview , Arkansas
We have the Rhino and it works great.

WBCCI # 1959
Black 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
2015 23D International Signature (Salsa)
Stella our Bull Pointer mix
Airborne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that produces a tank with the necessary spout and vent and that doesn't leak?
I purchased a thing called a "fusti" from Amazon that is a stainless steel container for water (or olive oil, wine, etc.) I use my smallish one for drinking water that I fill from my reverse osmosis system at home. I don't like the plasiti-cy taste from most water carriers/tanks. Maybe one of these and a folding hand truck might work?
Old 04-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I just bought one of these, (BPA free) it has a bit of thread mismatch to a standard water hose, but using a stack of three hose gaskets I can get a leak free pour from a water fill hose adapter from camco.

Scepter Water Cans - Scepter Military Water Cans - Scepter Watre Cans for sale, Scepter Military Fuel Cans, Military Water Cans, MWC, (MWC), Scepter 2.5 gallon water cans, Scepter 5 gallon water cans, Scepter 10 liter water cans, Scepter 20 liter wat
Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
5 gallons of water gets heavy for me trying to pour it into the water fill. I've purchase a small water pump to make it easier. Using a 12v extension cord and battery clamps.

Kelvin
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
The gaskets don't help, The Fusti is too fussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Go find a rubber gasket that fits where the spigot threads to the container. Perhaps a mason jar ring is the right size. If you can't find the right size, cut one out of a piece of rubber.
The Igloo 5 gallon tank comes with a washer which does not keep the thing from dribbling. Being a reasonably handy individual of the male species, I immediately thought of duct tape--for which I could imagine no application in this case--and washers. I tried using two of the washers which I was able to do because I actually have two of these accursed containers-and that didn't work either.

Regarding the Fusti: I am familiar with these and possess a number as I raise olives for oil and use them to store that divine liquid. The problem I see with this solution is contained in the suggestion. And it raises a question; where would one store the hand truck? I don't think it will fit anywhere in my 25' EB. And schlepping it around might be more annoying than wet trouser legs. Remember, I only use the containers to transport water from spigot to A/S. I don't store water in them. But thanks for thinking outside the, um, box.

Whenever I'm using the container and water is dripping on my leg I think of how I used to do a lot of business in China, that fine nation where the containers are actually made. When you were having something sourced in China you needed to stay watchful, because the Chinese, pressured by their customers and their own desire to own Audi's, and Gucci, and travel to Disneyland, try to cut cost whenever they can. If they start out with a material specification, they'll almost immediately start looking for a cheaper material. Next thing you know, the widgets you ordered come in just a little smaller or thinner or weaker. With these plastic containers, I'm guessing they use molds that have a life span during which they turn out parts that meet spec. Beyond that life span, spec is no longer met. In the case of the containers, the threads on the outlet go from working, to not working so well. And I'm guessing that Igloo doesn't keep a close enough watch on the quality of their incoming goods to detect that the supplier is using a mold that no longer turns out spec goods. Or, who knows, maybe they started out with a design that was always going to dribble and just don't give a rip.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Water Jug

These work well for me. Just wish they had a handle on the side of them.

Scepter 5-Gallon Water Can — High-Density Polyethylene, Model# 04933 | Camping Hiking Equipment| Northern Tool + Equipment

Not bad for just 15 bones.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
I often camp in locations where you can get water from a spigot that's too far to hook up to with a hose. I use an Igloo 5 gallon container and carry the water to my AS. The container has the necessary water spout that will fit into the Airstream's tank input. It also has a vent that speeds the movement of water from container to tank. However, the container leaks where the threaded spout connects to the container. I've had several of these--each time thinking the next one won't leak--but they all do. I stand at the side of the trailer, pants getting wet, mentally composing a letter to the head of Igloo about how he ought to try his own stuff from time to time.

Brad,
I use Scepter "military" cans for both water and fuel. These are what the US and NATO use. Much different than standard model mentioned by FishinHatteras above.
You can check them out on this web site. Scepter Water Cans - Scepter Military Water Cans - Scepter Watre Cans for sale, Scepter Military Fuel Cans, Military Water Cans, MWC, (MWC), Scepter 2.5 gallon water cans, Scepter 5 gallon water cans, Scepter 10 liter water cans, Scepter 20 liter wat
They have 20L/5Gal. and 10L/2.5Gal cans. There is even a hose thread on the spout. They are the best cans I have ever used. They do not leak!
I do not think you can get the fuel cans here.

Good hunting,
Dennis
Old 04-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Brad,

I have been in your situation many times and have tried different things.

The Moller-Scepter water containers work best. Amazon has them. The spout will work as is with the Airstream water fill, or you can trim it a little bit with a knife and get faster flow (making the process easier on your back). The containers don't leak, are strong enough to stack either full or empty, are clearly marked "water" to avoid dangerous mixups, and have a self-storing spout. Only disadvantage is that they don't collapse when empty, which sometimes matters.

Before I got the Moller-Scepter containers, I used a combination of the blue cubes and collapsible clear things you see everywhere. To load water into the trailer I set up a camp table at about the right height and then used a cheap battery operated transfer pump. There are battery operated pumps sold for use with kerosene that cost around $10 that work well. All that worked out OK but was more fiddly and there were more possible opportunities for contamination.