Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I ran into a guy in Key West in February at a no hookup campsite. He had a 40 gal bladder that he laid out on the roof of his pickup. Using a hose from a water site he filled up the bladder then at his camper he let gravity flow to his RV filler neck. No mess, No pumps just good 'ole gravity. Gonna get me one of those before next winters trip to Key West.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Plastic GASOLINE containers for water

Avoid the "Jerry Can Plastic Water" jug as it is narrow at the base and tall. Just a bit flimsy, unstable and easily damaged due to the thin plastic.

I use the thick plastic, usually RED, Gasoline containers that are squat and stable. They bit perfect in those plastic "milk crates". When empty they are light and you toss them into the back of the Tow Vehicle.

We have been doing this for nine years and have had no ill effects, physically that is, from using the red plastic jugs.

I am 65 years old and can pour the water from the jug into the Airstream's water tank. Take a 5 gallon plastic bucket and use it for a resting, half way point. And if the spout drips a bit while pouring... so what. At first, the full water jug is heavy but it drains quickly.

Gasoline containers are stronger. I know, someone is going to say you could confuse the container with gasoline with the Water container. Well. Then, I cannot help you. But for everyone else... when you sell the trailer... use the gasoline containers for whatever pleases you the most. Maybe take a magic marker and write WATER on the jug(s) containing water.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
Reading these posts gave me a thought. Not that i would do it as i consider boondocking requirements to be sewer, water and electricity. But were I to do it, I would consider the use of a large ice chest setting in the back of the pickup, fill with water hose and either siphon it out into the fresh water tank, get small 12v pump and pump i t into the tank or simple gravity feed with hose at drain on lower side of ice cooler. Just a thought.
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I purchased a small RV pump off Amazon to use to pump water into my water tank from a 5 gallon Coleman collapsible and a 3 gallon rigid water container. I spliced in a 12v adapter so I can plug it into my portable 12v jump start battery. I also have a 12v extension cord with battery clamps so I can run it off my AS batteries. The pump is only rated 1.2g/min but it works fine and you don't have to prime it but it was only $20. I may get another collapsible water container before my trip to Utah in a couple of weeks. I'll be dry camping at 3 national parks.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
I bought a valve at a hardware store that screws into the plastic threads where the plastic spout goes when you store the spout in or outside the 7 gallon jug. I screwed a hose fitting on the other side of the valve. I then set the jug on its side on top of the tonneau cover of my pick up and attach my white hose and gravity feed into the trailer. I try to keep things simple as the more complicated things are, the more problems arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Perker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I have two blue water containers, one 5 gal, one 7 gal. They have a screw-on cap that came with a plastic spigot. I replaced the plastic spigot with a brass one that has a garden-hose threaded end.

So, I fill the tank from whatever tap or spigot I find with potable water - I have a "water thief" that slips onto a non-threaded spigot and a short piece of clear plastic hose, just so that I can place the tank on the ground while it fills.

Once back at the trailer, I set the tank up on the platform of a 4-foot step ladder, attach the plastic hose to the brass spigot, slip the hose end into the water fill on the side of the trailer, open the spigot and let gravity refill my tank.

Since we boondock in Quartzsite, I've learned where to scrounge water (without paying for it) and I make it a point to always have the empty tanks in the back of the TV for refilling anytime I locate free water.
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Like others have already said, I use the Rhino jugs. I have four of them and find that the nozzle that comes with the jug fits the freshwater fill on the AS really well and the jug's vent allows the it to empty quickly. They are easy for one person to lift and hold up while pouring them.

I looked for a solution for a couple of years and ultimately bought the Rhinos based on recommendation of a fellow Airstreamer and friend.

They are fairly inexpensive and work very well for me.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before!"

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote