Old 08-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My Wife - Loves Maps

So I am a geek, I'm ok with that. I like electronics, the web, the cloud and all the APs out there that help us enjoy and control (okay a little control freak in there) our RV experience. My wonderful wife of 34 years likes maps and books. I need advice on the best paper versions of all the great RV references out there. Thanks

Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Paper maps and knowing how to read them are nice to have when all the fancy toys break and they will at the worst possible times. I have a US Roadmap Atlas and pick up state maps from state welcome centers. I do like my GPS but they lie all too often.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I guess there are still those big campground books out there. I have not seen one in several years. The ones that I remember were about the size of the Manhattan Yellow Pages. I'm sure that you can still get one, but I'm not sure where. You can still get state highway maps at the welcome stations. We haven't gotten one in a long time.

We have gone totally virtual. Good luck in your quest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
It sounds like a perfect blend. Technology and old school works well together.

I also like when the copilot likes and can read a map and also look something up on a phone to supplement the paper. I do not like to see the driver trying to read a map or phone.

We also love paper maps. I love the l o n g distance look a paper map gives you without zooming in and out.

We use the basic Rand McNally $7.00 at Walmart every year. We us the Delorme for our state off road. We will use the current Milepost for when we go to Alaska.

We also pick up a specific state map if we need more detail.

I love Google Earth. The time I've wasted and places I've gone (online) while scouting a trip or a place someone talked about.

Sometime you all will post a trip, location or campground and I will look it up to see where you are or the pretty place you posted about.

We Love Maps Too!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

We still use AAA Maps,TripTiks and Travel Guides.

Also have a Tom-Tom portable and an On-board nav, when they argue we go to the TripTik.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Ditto on maps and hard copies being great. Try to get any Road Atlas as a spiral-bound book. Much easier to deal with.

The DeLorme Atlas maps are great. Very detailed and accurate for good local navigation. Here is a recent thread in this sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ff-146957.html

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DEL...?section=10042

If you like maps, these are really great!

Happy Trails,

Peter
Old 08-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I like paper maps too! Garmin and Google maps are more up to date, but not as much fun.
I have an old Rand McNally Atlas that I use to record our travels. I use red pencil to mark the highways we have towed on. While we are traveling without the trailer I mark the routes in blue pencil. I circle towns where we spend the night and write notes in the margins. It's fun to go back a look at the spiderweb of markings. Brings back memories.
If I ever sell my trailer I may just hide it somewhere in the trailer's innards, so that some day a future owner doing a renovation might discover it.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
GPS and maps are not competitive. You need both. Maps help you plan your trip for the most enjoyment and tell you when you should ignore what the GPS lady is telling you. GPS tells you where to go to get some gas and gets you around in an unfamiliar town. It does not do a good job on local temporary road closures. It does get you back on track, if you have to deviate into unfamiliar territory. A navigator, that can operate both systems, makes life a lot safer. Driving is a full time occupation.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Wife navigates very well. Paper maps are great for planning. Have not used our Tom Tom in several years. It did a pretty good job. Found the phone to be much better for several reasons. Tom Tom tells about traffic on your chosen route. Phone shows traffic wherever you wish. Makes navigating around trouble a snap. The google earth view option on phone map is nice to be able to see if you want to tow to a location or not.
We always have our phones with us, so can easily plan, determine distances etc. wherever or whenever we choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
As time goes on, we find that we are going more electronic and less paper in our travel planning and navigation.

On our recently completed 56 day Airstream adventure, we used paper maps very little. We did almost all of our route planning on the notebook in the evening using Microsoft Streets and Trips. During actual travel, we used a combination of the Garmin 760 and our Android smart phones and tablet.

We have made this transition at the urging of our youngest son, who is 38 years old. He often tells us that "1989 called and wants their maps back". He also tells us that in the near future, paper maps will only be found in nursing homes.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
. . .
. . . "1989 called and wants their maps back". He also tells us that in the near future, paper maps will only be found in nursing homes.

Brian
Your son has a great sense of humor . . .

As long as I have my maps and oxygen, that will be OK.

Here comes "Club Bed" !!!

"Pops"

Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Another great book/map is Next Exit, it's older but still very accurate( and we just make notes in it for corrections). easy to find on Amazon. Major highways it will give you rest areas and exits with food/gas/diesel/camping. My wife uses the box/map and can confirm with laptop/phone. We like maps because we decide the route we want not the GPS.

Happy Travels
Joe D
Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Joe,

Here is the 2016 edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Next-EXIT-201.../dp/0984692142

Looks like a good investment for $14.40!

Peter
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We pick up the "Official State Road Maps" from the welcome centers every year so they are as updated as they can be.
We do use GPS navigation from time to time, but it seems to get me lost and frustrated more than it helps, so I have a Rand McNally Road Atlas on board and a compass.
I also print out turn by turn directions before I go and memorize as much of the trip as possible.
I refresh my memory at every rest stop, fuel stop, meal stop.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote