Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Moving to Lifeline AGMs - but tongue weight is an issue

So I'm finally going to bite the bullet and switch out my current crappy deep cycles for AGMs. I have two options. Option 1: Slightly increase the height of the battery box to accomodate 2 6 volt Lifeline GP4 CTs. Weight will be slightly increased on the tongue over my interstate group 24's. If anything I would like to decrease the weight on the tongue, as I am towing my 23D international with a touareg. It works fine now, but I wouldn't want to add much weight to the tongue.

Option 2: Pull the interstates, and install a GPL 8DA farther back in the cabin, under the sofa most likely where the weight would rest more on the wheels. This area is not vented, and I would need to run some beefy cables up to the connection points in the battery box on the tongue. The nice thing about this setup is I would have more amp hours, a battery that would stay warmer inside, and I would lighten the tongue weight. Downside is concern over the venting even with AGM's, and I only have one battery. Still, if one battery went bad in the 6 volt option I would have no power as well.

If I really wanted to go nuts with option 2, I could buy a second 8DA and throw it in the back of my Touareg in the future and hook them up in parallel. A lot easier than adding 2 more 6 volts...

Thoughts? What would you do?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How does it work with your weight scale values? That is, is there room to adjust the WDH a bit more? It is not a direct correlation from an extra 60# of battery weight to an additional 60# of TW. At all. The further from the coupler ball center, the less, IOW.

I do know that I'd rather not move the battery around. Sooner or later they get dropped or themselves damage something else just due to mass & weight.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwatch View Post
So I'm finally going to bite the bullet and switch out my current crappy deep cycles for AGMs. I have two options. Option 1: Slightly increase the height of the battery box to accomodate 2 6 volt Lifeline GP4 CTs. Weight will be slightly increased on the tongue over my interstate group 24's. If anything I would like to decrease the weight on the tongue, as I am towing my 23D international with a touareg. It works fine now, but I wouldn't want to add much weight to the tongue.

Option 2: Pull the interstates, and install a GPL 8DA farther back in the cabin, under the sofa most likely where the weight would rest more on the wheels. This area is not vented, and I would need to run some beefy cables up to the connection points in the battery box on the tongue. The nice thing about this setup is I would have more amp hours, a battery that would stay warmer inside, and I would lighten the tongue weight. Downside is concern over the venting even with AGM's, and I only have one battery. Still, if one battery went bad in the 6 volt option I would have no power as well.

If I really wanted to go nuts with option 2, I could buy a second 8DA and throw it in the back of my Touareg in the future and hook them up in parallel. A lot easier than adding 2 more 6 volts...

Thoughts? What would you do?
Keep in mind that with the 6 volt batteries, when one dies they are both gone, as far as supplying any more power.

With 2 12 volt batteries, in parallel, the opposite is true.

Basically, the 2 6's have no advantage over the 2 12's, but indeed do have disadvantages.

Andy
Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Keep in mind that with the 6 volt batteries, when one dies they are both gone, as far as supplying any more power.

With 2 12 volt batteries, in parallel, the opposite is true.

Basically, the 2 6's have no advantage over the 2 12's, but indeed do have disadvantages.

Andy
Yep I mentioned that concern in my original post "and I only have one battery. Still, if one battery went bad in the 6 volt option I would have no power as well."

There are a couple of advantages of the 6 volts over what I currently have. First and most important - they fit in my current battery box (with just a little modification to the height). Second, I would have 220 amp hours with 2 of these in series as opposed to my group 24's in parallel which provide 160 amp hours. That's enough of a difference to make it worth my time.

The 8DA provides 255 amp hours.

I don't really know what the exact affect on the tongue weight would be with switching to the 6 volts up front in the battery box, probably not huge. Removing the 2 group 24's completely and going with the 8DA further back might lighted the tongue weight by 40 or 50 lbs - have no idea. Not a huge deal either way. But trying to add the large 8DA up front likely would have enough of an impact that I would be concerned.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
My advise revolves around my own experience.....only.

When I up-graded our converter to an IOTA DLS-55 IQ4 for the improved charge profile I also changed out our Interstate grp27 deep cycles, (one had failed due to overcharging from the OEM P-lax), with Lifeline 100a grp 27's,
installed in the factory locations. I had also considered the 6v options and mod's, but after weighing the +/- decided that for what I was after, plus the added cost, time and effort it wasn't a viable option.

It all depends on what goals you set, for us it was just a matter of extending our off-grid battery life to more than 1-2 days. Mission accomplished. have gone up to 4 before needing a charge. We camp without hook-up's and use a LPG dual conversion 2000i when power is needed.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The distance to coupler is a percentage of "dead weight". Greater the distance, the lower the percentage apparent at the ball.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Sherline tongue weight multiplier for tongue jack

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote