Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
i bought two packs of quick-drying towels over the net. We have 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels, and 4 wash cloths. They are supposed to dry 30% faster. Since the towels are always the major time factor at the laundromats, they should really cut the drying time down. They seem to dry fast between uses in the trailer as well. They are nubby and really feel good to dry with. I picked a color not used at home so that the towels come back to the trailer each time instead of ending up in the cabinet at home like our former towels did.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We have some microfiber dish towels and hate them - they don't soak up the water anywhere near as well as a conventional dish towel. I don't understand why people like them. Microfiber is fine for using spray detailer on the car, or rubbing off car wax, but not for drying things.

Our bath towels are quick drying but not microfiber.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #31

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Benicia , California
We use 4 bath size micro fiber towels - my recommendation is to get the waffle weave. Best prices have been thru amazon. The towels dry fast so moisture doesn't build up inside the trailer.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
We have some microfiber dish towels and hate them - they don't soak up the water anywhere near as well as a conventional dish towel. I don't understand why people like them. Microfiber is fine for using spray detailer on the car, or rubbing off car wax, but not for drying things.

Our bath towels are quick drying but not microfiber.
NEVER use fabric softener or dryer sheets on towels - it reduces their ability to absorb moisture. AND it's far worse with microfiber than with cotton. Could that be the problem?

Paula
Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We use them all the time.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #34
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
We bought one large towel at REI to test it. It has been through about a dozen wash/dry cycles, some with fabric softener some without, and it just keeps getting better. The space-savings and speed in drying time make it worth it to us - doesn't feel as good, but how much time do you spend feeling your towels? We are about to replace all our trailer towels with MF.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
NEVER use fabric softener or dryer sheets on towels - it reduces their ability to absorb moisture. AND it's far worse with microfiber than with cotton. Could that be the problem?
Probably is - we use both. I've never heard this before. Our regular cotton towels absorb water just fine, though, with the same treatment. I'm not going to start dealing with special washing instructions for towels, though so our next set will just be regular cotton. (I use them on my car, unwashed, so I do know how they work when new. I'm not impressed enough to want to deal with the extra maintenance hassle.)

Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Neither the wife or I like them for body drying or dish drying. Good cotton is much better.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #37
Blog: ameliaairstream.com

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
>NEVER use fabric softener or dryer sheets on towels - it reduces their ability to absorb moisture.

Foiled Again is quite right.

I don't use softener at all, because pouring conditioner and perfume on my laundry is strange. I've never understood it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
I don't use softener at all, because pouring conditioner and perfume on my laundry is strange. I've never understood it.
I didn't use it either, until I got married and my wife wanted softer clothes. At least we use the perfume-free stuff - in particular, the dryer sheets that smell drive my nose nuts.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
For backpacking we use Sham-Wow towels (yes, the ones you see pitched on infomercials). They are light, compact, and very absorbent. Like the backpacking towels from REI, you can wring them out and continue to use them.

We are still using regular bath towels in the AS, however. There's nothing like a big, fluffy towel.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We have some chamois like towels we found in the automotive dept at WW. We have used them about 10 years now, yes the same ones. We dry, wash, rinse, wring and put back in their storage tube till the next time. They come in colors so we know whose is whose. Though they are put away damp, there is no odor. We take them in the shower with us to get them wet warm before using. A light wipe from head to toe and you are dry.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The optometrists around here all sell litle four-inch square pieces of it to clean glasses. They do a terrific job, but you do pay through the nose for them.

They usually throw them in when you buy new glasses, and I have never seen them wear out.

I have a very small mesh bag I throw them in when my wife (or I) do the washing. Just have to remember not to put them in the dryer, since we use dryer sheets too. They air-dry in the basement quite quickly.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
I believe that Airtandem is referring to a product called "The Absorber". I have several that I use for our cars and our boat. Did not think about using them as bath towels. I did purchase two microfiber bath towels at Whole Earth Provision Company this week. Leaving on a week long trip in the morning, we will see how they work. Will report back.