Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
Good idea re IKEA. I also have had success with super-cheap, thin, cotton terry towels at Wholesale Liquidators or the like. They are thin and undersized, just what you don't want in your home bath, but they make great gym and travel towels. They are thirsty and they dry so fast! And, cotton.

perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
Love, love micro-fiber towels and bought our first MF towels for the AS from BB&B. These are actually billed as towels for hair - bought the large ones to try out. Definitely a different feel than luxurious fluffy oversized bath towels that have no place in our AS due to their real estate required in precious cabinets. Tried them for the first time and like them well enough to go buy a few more. Even in humid Florida, they dried overnight. I can pack and stack a dozen in the same space one of my fluffies take up!

AirKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Micro-fiber towels feel like you are drying yourself off with plastic.... They are good for dusting furniture and wiping down the AS only....
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I've used high tech towels for years and also am not a fan - they work pretty well and save space but you have to 'blot dry' rather than rub - it's not a great feeling.

The best towels I've found for the trailer are these: Green Earth® Quick-Dry Towels | The Company Store

They look and feel like the real deal but take up half the space. I LOVE these.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
west plains , Missouri
Rivet We like ours

We each have a large microfibre-type towel we purchased from LLBean several years ago and like them a lot. In addition to extended Airstream travel we have carried them internationally many places. It is true they are not as pleasant as cotton, but their obvious advantages overweight for our useages. They dry quickly, absorb thirstily, and have antibacterial components. Sundrying them works very well. They can also be washed without necessity of a laundry. Ours have been used living in China, traveling in Asia, Africa, the Americas, Europe, and across th Trans-Siberian railway.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
We have one of those super-absorbent pack towels in the back of the closet in our camper for when the weather is damp and cotton towels won't dry out. It... functions... just fine. It will dry off an adult, and then you can wring it out and it's ready to use again. But I'd take the feel of a cotton towel any day over a pack towel. Nothing pleasant or sensual about it. Just blot, blot. We use cotton terry towels 90% of the time.
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Here's my $.02 for what it's worth. I have an old MF (microfiber) bath towel that has managed to get kinda mildewy smelling over time. I am sure there is probably a way to refresh it, but I haven't really tried too hard as I'm not a big fan of the crunchy/sticky texture. I have found I much prefer plush cotton. I just down sized to a hand towel (the size above the small square one) & found it was surprisingly enough for me to completely dry off. It also reduces laundry/ drying time.
But if someone has any MF towel cleaning methods to share, I would gladly try to revitalize mine (which currently is used only as a back-up).

As for other uses, I do use the washcloth size for kitchen cleaning and have found the colors useful for coding different chores (eg: blue=dishes, green=counter-tops, yellow=cleaning spray, etc.) But they definitely need to dry completely between uses or they will get a little funky.
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
So, ever wonder how to knock out that decaying smell from sponge or favorite towel????

Nuke them!

Seriously. Dampen well then put in MW for 15-30 second bursts. Time in MW will depend on lots of factors, some being mass, density and MW power.

However... Give it a try. You might be surprised!

Another tip is mixing hydrogen peroxide with the cloth/sponge. It will also kill that stinks!!
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Wash in white vinegar solution; use about 1/2 c per load; also whitens and reduces static cling
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #24
1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
Yes on the white vinegar. If you throw it in the dryer, add some baking soda. A generous sprinkle of baking soda has removed that "oops, I let this load sit in the washer too long" smell.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
We've found the bath size from BB&B are nice. Second best are at REI. After that the cheapies are just that. The trade off is that you get a dry towel each day. Not so with terrycloth.
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
2nd that.....pack towels from REI. They fold up tiny, so, when you're on a short trip and not taking full showers and not using them, they barely take up any room at all in. I think mine are the XXL size too.
My New Blog Project:
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #27
1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
All that being said, we have been traveling for a month in our 70 Overlander. We are relocating from the East to West coast. I took several towels from the linen closet in our old house and they've been fine. We have a lot of storage in this thing so there's always a clean dry towel somewhere. We have a couple dozen dishtowels, too. It's a lot easier to have unused storage without the kids!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I bought on a whim before oure very first trip in our first airstream last weekend a 10 pack of these blue microfiber dish towels at home depot...these were amazing for cleaning up the galley when cooking...and when they got wet and I hung it up...dried really fast...they seemed to pick up stuff better than other dish rags? I used 3 or 4 of the 10 on the trip for various stuff...I was able to keep the sink, fixtures, counters spotless and even very much shiny through the weekend with ease.

I am interested in trying MF for showering....we have some plain towels we used from home...they dried ok with the exhaust fan on in the bathroom but it took a while during the day...

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote