Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2015, 04:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Cinnamon toast and hot chocolate go together.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2006 31' Classic
2020 26' Flying Cloud
Lake Saint Louis , Missouri
I take a round cookie cutter and cut the center out of a slice of bread. Put the bread in the skillet and crack an egg in the center. Turn after a couple of minutes to get an over easy egg and toast together. My Grandkids call this "Egg in a basket" and love it. You can also toast the round center along side and use to sop up the yellow. Quick easy breakfast.
richarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
We've been perfecting the toaster off grid for years. (Coleman does make a LP powered toaster oven, sort of a small camping oven. It didn't work for toast at all, but probably would work OK as a small oven, but I don't think it would save any energy relative to a conventional insulatedgas oven).

So we have tried every kind of camping/non electric toaster option out there. Far and away,,FAR AND AWAY! the best toaster option we have found is a small camping catalytic heater. The problem is that most of the new ones are round and not very conducive to toast which is,,square. My neighbour (also off grid) has a Coleman Canada model that I have coveted for years. It is rectangular, ~8"X6" with a wire grill 1/2" above the catalyst mat. (Just the right size for 2 pieces of toast! These have not been made in a number of years so they are VERY hard to find. It took me 5 years of regular searching to find one on Ebay! It works great! Light it, it glows red in about a minute, drop the toast on, turn it after about a minute and it is the nicest golden brown you can every imagine!
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
For the past 7 years I've spent some time with the Boondockers BOF (of the Escapees) when they are in Quartzsite. The camping there is dispersed (meaning wherever you are comfortable without infringing on anyone else). Every morning they started a fire and made cowboy coffee. I would feed the pooches, fire up the BBQ and toast some thick cut of bread on the BBQ, spread on some butter and home-made marmalade, haul the toast, my empty coffee cup and a folding camping chair and over to the fire-ring pour myself a coffee and enjoy my breakfast among like-minded free spirits.

Now, however, I'm gluten-free, so no toast - but I still get the cowboy coffee!
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
For the past 7 years I've spent some time with the Boondockers BOF (of the Escapees) when they are in Quartzsite. The camping there is dispersed (meaning wherever you are comfortable without infringing on anyone else). Every morning they started a fire and made cowboy coffee. I would feed the pooches, fire up the BBQ and toast some thick cut of bread on the BBQ, spread on some butter and home-made marmalade, haul the toast, my empty coffee cup and a folding camping chair and over to the fire-ring pour myself a coffee and enjoy my breakfast among like-minded free spirits.
That sounds like a pretty good life to me!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #26
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
We've been perfecting the toaster off grid for years. (Coleman does make a LP powered toaster oven, sort of a small camping oven. It didn't work for toast at all, but probably would work OK as a small oven, but I don't think it would save any energy relative to a conventional insulatedgas oven).

So we have tried every kind of camping/non electric toaster option out there. Far and away,,FAR AND AWAY! the best toaster option we have found is a small camping catalytic heater. The problem is that most of the new ones are round and not very conducive to toast which is,,square. My neighbour (also off grid) has a Coleman Canada model that I have coveted for years. It is rectangular, ~8"X6" with a wire grill 1/2" above the catalyst mat. (Just the right size for 2 pieces of toast! These have not been made in a number of years so they are VERY hard to find. It took me 5 years of regular searching to find one on Ebay! It works great! Light it, it glows red in about a minute, drop the toast on, turn it after about a minute and it is the nicest golden brown you can every imagine!

So, you've been stringing us along, all this while. You knew how to make toast, but you wanted us to expose our tender, passionate, love for toast before ship wrecking our hearts on the shoals of The Coleman Canada, which is unavailable to us... You cruel bastard!!!

-Red, probably a bit melodramatic...
Old 02-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Camp toast fried in a pan using good old healthy bacon grease. Nothing beats it for taste.

Agree on fried on a pan, it also works with butter. Super easy and no need for special equipment.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
RED
That was a quote from a guy on a camping forum in Oregon and there are several of those units that he uses on Ebay right now. Sorry if I got you before you had your morning toast.
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #29
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
RED
That was a quote from a guy on a camping forum in Oregon and there are several of those units that he uses on Ebay right now. Sorry if I got you before you had your morning toast.

I just felt the thread could use more drama... It was getting as dry as... well, as dry as toast.

-Red, spicing it up a bit....
Old 02-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #30
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Making good toast

Oh yeah, Shamrockboat, I've seen a Magic Chef oven on Craigslist for $100... Check Jacksonville FL Craigslist, search Airstream.

-Red, finding ovens...
Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Got a jar of spun honey in the holidays. In love with toast with spun honey.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Agree with Red, no drama yet, nobody's mad. Should I ask what kind of TV I need to get the best toast, or whether I should toast on 15" vs 16" wheels? Maybe whether toast adds enough weight to need a WD / anti-sway hitch?

We like "Texas toast" - buttered bread fried in the pan until lightly browned on both sides.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I like RI toast, teenie tiny Wonderbread croutons fried in Crisco with Orange Marmalade dip and a nice hot cup of Instant Postum....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Slidell , Louisiana
Send a message via ICQ to geekgrrrl Send a message via AIM to geekgrrrl Send a message via Skype™ to geekgrrrl
y'all are making me hungry for toast! I used to make a midnight snack of cheese toast and tea. So satisfying relaxing out under the stars in a hammock at midnight on a dark and starry night.

I haven't done that in awhile, but it may have to become my new camping tradition. I already do the tea. We just have no working appliances yet in the... so may have to test the halogen oven I bought to see how well it works for toast!

AIR member 94157
geekgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #35
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Agree with Red, no drama yet, nobody's mad. Should I ask what kind of TV I need to get the best toast, or whether I should toast on 15" vs 16" wheels? Maybe whether toast adds enough weight to need a WD / anti-sway hitch?

We like "Texas toast" - buttered bread fried in the pan until lightly browned on both sides.

Texas toast is just too big. It doesn't fit on a normal size stove top, or even in a normal size Airstream. You need a 34 footer with slides... Everything is too big in Texas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgrrrl View Post
y'all are making me hungry for toast! I used to make a midnight snack of cheese toast and tea. So satisfying relaxing out under the stars in a hammock at midnight on a dark and starry night.

I haven't done that in awhile, but it may have to become my new camping tradition. I already do the tea. We just have no working appliances yet in the... so may have to test the halogen oven I bought to see how well it works for toast!

Have never seen a halogen oven, but I'm thinking Easy Bake on steroids... Midnight cheese toast and tea under the stars sounds like a plan!

-Red, planning on trying it...
Old 02-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
"Here's to bread, because without bread, we couldn't have Toast!"

Is that the sort of toast this post is about? I prefer a splash of water in my single malt for a toast. Great way to start a morning in the Airstream. Just doesn't happen that often.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #37
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Here, here!!!! A toast to toast!!!

-Red, toasting...