Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,909
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
I'm totally dying for some toast right now...
__________________

__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
Nomad518's Avatar
 
2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 265
We have a small Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill. Turn it on high and let it warm up. Put your bread on the grill and cover the grill with the lid to keep the heat in. Check and flip the bread with tongs every minute or so. In no time flat you'll have some of the best toast you've ever had. This is my standard way of making toast when camping in our AS even if we have full hookups. I've stopped packing an electric powered toaster because the grill-fired toast is so much better.
__________________

__________________
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
King of the Zebra Speedo
 
Panama Red's Avatar
 
Obrien , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,417
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Cinnamon toast with honey rules. Butter, honey, cinnamon. Best with fresh sourdough bread with sesame seeds home sliced a bit thick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I'm going to have to have cinnamon toast in the morning.

Maggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Bedtime snack for me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I'm totally dying for some toast right now...

Never thought of honey on it. Right along with everyone else, I could eat a whole stinking loaf right now...

-Red, why do I do this to myself???
__________________
Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 252
propane torch works good quick too. When done just butter and cinnamon sugar, can even make cinnamon creme brulee toast
__________________
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,936
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pams72 View Post
propane torch works good quick too. When done just butter and cinnamon sugar, can even make cinnamon creme brulee toast
I was juuuuuuust about to post this 'option'...
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Got a gen, might as well use it.....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toastmaster 1B3 1932.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	231255  
__________________
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,057
Cinnamon toast and hot chocolate go together.
__________________
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 20' Flying Cloud
2006 31' Classic
Rincon , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
I take a round cookie cutter and cut the center out of a slice of bread. Put the bread in the skillet and crack an egg in the center. Turn after a couple of minutes to get an over easy egg and toast together. My Grandkids call this "Egg in a basket" and love it. You can also toast the round center along side and use to sop up the yellow. Quick easy breakfast.
__________________
richarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
 
shepherd57's Avatar
 
1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 374
Images: 5
We've been perfecting the toaster off grid for years. (Coleman does make a LP powered toaster oven, sort of a small camping oven. It didn't work for toast at all, but probably would work OK as a small oven, but I don't think it would save any energy relative to a conventional insulatedgas oven).

So we have tried every kind of camping/non electric toaster option out there. Far and away,,FAR AND AWAY! the best toaster option we have found is a small camping catalytic heater. The problem is that most of the new ones are round and not very conducive to toast which is,,square. My neighbour (also off grid) has a Coleman Canada model that I have coveted for years. It is rectangular, ~8"X6" with a wire grill 1/2" above the catalyst mat. (Just the right size for 2 pieces of toast! These have not been made in a number of years so they are VERY hard to find. It took me 5 years of regular searching to find one on Ebay! It works great! Light it, it glows red in about a minute, drop the toast on, turn it after about a minute and it is the nicest golden brown you can every imagine!
__________________
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,136
For the past 7 years I've spent some time with the Boondockers BOF (of the Escapees) when they are in Quartzsite. The camping there is dispersed (meaning wherever you are comfortable without infringing on anyone else). Every morning they started a fire and made cowboy coffee. I would feed the pooches, fire up the BBQ and toast some thick cut of bread on the BBQ, spread on some butter and home-made marmalade, haul the toast, my empty coffee cup and a folding camping chair and over to the fire-ring pour myself a coffee and enjoy my breakfast among like-minded free spirits.

Now, however, I'm gluten-free, so no toast - but I still get the cowboy coffee!
__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #25
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,909
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
For the past 7 years I've spent some time with the Boondockers BOF (of the Escapees) when they are in Quartzsite. The camping there is dispersed (meaning wherever you are comfortable without infringing on anyone else). Every morning they started a fire and made cowboy coffee. I would feed the pooches, fire up the BBQ and toast some thick cut of bread on the BBQ, spread on some butter and home-made marmalade, haul the toast, my empty coffee cup and a folding camping chair and over to the fire-ring pour myself a coffee and enjoy my breakfast among like-minded free spirits.
That sounds like a pretty good life to me!
__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #26
King of the Zebra Speedo
 
Panama Red's Avatar
 
Obrien , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,417
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
We've been perfecting the toaster off grid for years. (Coleman does make a LP powered toaster oven, sort of a small camping oven. It didn't work for toast at all, but probably would work OK as a small oven, but I don't think it would save any energy relative to a conventional insulatedgas oven).

So we have tried every kind of camping/non electric toaster option out there. Far and away,,FAR AND AWAY! the best toaster option we have found is a small camping catalytic heater. The problem is that most of the new ones are round and not very conducive to toast which is,,square. My neighbour (also off grid) has a Coleman Canada model that I have coveted for years. It is rectangular, ~8"X6" with a wire grill 1/2" above the catalyst mat. (Just the right size for 2 pieces of toast! These have not been made in a number of years so they are VERY hard to find. It took me 5 years of regular searching to find one on Ebay! It works great! Light it, it glows red in about a minute, drop the toast on, turn it after about a minute and it is the nicest golden brown you can every imagine!

So, you've been stringing us along, all this while. You knew how to make toast, but you wanted us to expose our tender, passionate, love for toast before ship wrecking our hearts on the shoals of The Coleman Canada, which is unavailable to us... You cruel bastard!!!

-Red, probably a bit melodramatic...
__________________
Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Camp toast fried in a pan using good old healthy bacon grease. Nothing beats it for taste.

Agree on fried on a pan, it also works with butter. Super easy and no need for special equipment.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
 
shepherd57's Avatar
 
1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 374
Images: 5
RED
That was a quote from a guy on a camping forum in Oregon and there are several of those units that he uses on Ebay right now. Sorry if I got you before you had your morning toast.
__________________

__________________
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Univolt is toast- replacement suggestions? mprokop87 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 9 08-01-2013 08:09 PM
Toast Noco Interior Restoration Forum 10 05-19-2013 07:27 AM
Are my batteries gonna be toast? Gringo Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 38 10-13-2012 02:01 PM
How Do You Make Toast? Fly at Night Stella's Kitchen 38 09-12-2011 03:49 PM
How do you make toast ???? polarlyse Stella's Kitchen 40 05-15-2010 06:18 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.