Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking

Old 10-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
NO Macho Trailers allowed when... wet in Utah

This is a sign in Central Utah near the wonderful National Parks... which I call the 'in betweener National Park Boondocking campsites'. These are usually BLM roads, barely improved grader trails... but some areas have a National Park on each side of you, while camped all by yourself.

We have camped among petrified forests in Utah that just were not easy for asphalt road access, so they remain unvisited and ignored by those wanting to avoid dust and needing crowds of visitors to socialize among.

When shale is dry... it is merely dust and dirt.

When shale is wet... it is no time to bring your Macho Trailer into this mess.

This sign on the south side of I-70 in Utah tells it all.

If you find yourself dry camped to encounter a 'wet camp'... wait until the roads are dry. Otherwise you will not have enough spare change to wash off all of the dried mud... and the tow truck will wait until everything dries up like a grey concrete...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3568.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	272648  

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #72
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I see some reference here in an earlier response to the refrigerator door opening during travel. We suffer the same issue and I strongly suppose that others also have. This past summer we travelled to Alaska and back and as you might surmise, some of the roads just aren't great. They are better than in the past but it seems they are always a work in progress. On the way southward one day we found our refrig door had fallen off. The lower hinge point had simply broken off and the door flopped off. I wedged a piece of wood across the aisle and retained it with duct tape to keep it on for the next 3 weeks. I ordered a new door from Dometic to be delivered to my sisters house in Kansas. We stopped there on the return trip and installed the new door while there. Anyhow, back to the point of this post. Our former Airstream 30'er had the reefer door open from the left and I never could figure a good way to secure it from opening. Our current one open from the right and we have a plain ordinary coat hanger hook screwed to the side of the reefer cabinet. With a elastic bunji cord we secure it for travel and it works great. I suspect we were in the habit of loading the door to heavy and that contributed to the lower hinge failing. We plan to be more careful with that in the future.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote