Old 08-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Lee View Post
I have had some of the same thoughts as you. I have had 4 Airstreams, and am getting tired of the pore construction methods they are using. From the paper then aluminum to the sub floor material that fall apart once it gets wet. I have had two Avion, and they have a lot thicker aluminum then Airstream.
So what I am going to do is take all of the experience that I have gained working on Airstream and build the RV that I want out of an all aluminum horse trailer. It comes with truck wheels, and heavy duty axles. All aluminum flooring and a roof that so strong one can store hay up there. Hope to see you in the Boonies some time.
Meliisa, when you do the build out of a horse trailer, please do a thread on the forum about it. I would love to see how you deal with things like waste tanks, ground clearance, etc.

I have stood back and looked long and hard at my Titan four horse GN and thought about the idea of building one into a RV ( leaving a very short "garage" at the back for the motorcycle ).

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
For sure! I have been intrigued by their pop up, "urban escape" vehicles for a a while too.

https://youtu.be/SpKGm3TC5jc

There are certainly some things to learn, and I think an Airstream could oncorporate many features.

Glad to read your thread Ray. I will certainly appreciate the ideas for my own trailer.

I want that!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Thiss... Byam Boondocker... that is a great idea!

Insulation of the interior walls.....

....Maybe fill the outer and inner spaces with an injected insulating foam at Jackson Center and not fiber glass? I understand that currently it is some kind of fiber glass stuffing. If it works for homes in Canada using spray foam in the attics... it would work for our trailers. Once the interior wiring is checked out it sure would keep those from oscillating between the walls, as well.
Ray if I remember correctly back 30 or 40 years ago Airstream did spray in some kind of foam insulation, and had trouble with it in Arizona type heat. If I remember correctly, it still might be that we have newer space age type spay-in non poisonous foam that could do the job better, be quieter, and help with the overall rigidity of the monocoque construction.

Does anyone else remember foam insulation problems in Airstreams 30 or 40 years ago?

1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Ray,

You might want to look at the Arctic Fox by Northwood Industries. Many of the features you discuss are already in their trailers.

Good luck,

Bill Dunlap
Bishop, CA.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Ray, You must be eavesdropping on me and DW. I'll be following closely.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdunlap View Post
Ray,

You might want to look at the Arctic Fox by Northwood Industries. Many of the features you discuss are already in their trailers.

Good luck,

Bill Dunlap
Bishop, CA.

At our first RV Show in Denver 2006... Airstream or Arctic Fox. My friend with an Arctic Fox had to replace the entire front as it was leaking water. A common problem I am told. After reading of Airstream leaks... it makes me wonder.

Melissa Lee may be onto something for active Off the Grid camping. Next time I can look over some 'haulers' it could be interesting. I would also find hauling some livestock as a bonus feature that any car wash can take care of at the end of the trip.

I should not expect too much improvement over time... but that is my nature. Will not happen again. The Flying Cloud and Safari would have been a better choice as I liked the 2006 layout. The 25 foot with larger refrigerator and a comfortable bed was hard to resist.

Now I will have two sets of Airstream cabinet hinges, lots of worthless screws cob up my pop rivets with lathe screws (that work for me).
Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard6 View Post
Ray, You must be eavesdropping on me and DW. I'll be following closely.
Not if you are still using 14" Marathons. New they have very little tread to wear. Tow Max and Maxxis did well for our travels. They had more rubber on the road.

There were a five lug 15" wheel that fit an Airstream five lug drum. I am sure Sendel has them, as well. Great trailer, lousy 14 inch option for tires. One BIG reason why I went to the 25 foot and then went to 16" tires. Sold the five 15" wheels and tires for $400 for someone needing nicer wheels on a flat bed.

The 23 footer is the ultimate Off the Grid... with some modifications and a carton of screws, piano hinges for ALL cabinets and protect the fresh water drain with bent stainless steel so it does not get snapped off by a loose stone. Maybe this has been taken care of from our visit to Jackson Center in 2008. They replaced the fresh water plastic drain and added stainless steel all around for protection...
Old 08-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Attention may be given to interior colors & fabrics BUT not much. Brown, beige, off-white, black. Whatever happened to Midcentury colors? Well, we now have turquoise! However, agree structural integrity is much, much more important.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Our microwave is being pulled out before we move the Airstream.
Ray we still do some boon docking in our 1990 Excella and we love our microwave. The Sharp microwave/convection oven that came with the AS when we bought it in 2009 wasn't original, and has just died and we have replaced it with an updated Sharp. We take our 30 amp generator with us when we are going to be off grid, and once every day or two we recharge the battery, momma fixes something either as microwave or convection for supper and all is good. We used to live in Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota and enjoyed off grid in the National Forests and Parks. Used to take a 22' SOB up to hunting camp in the snow as well as on dirt roads in summer. Don't think I'd take my 29' AS over those same sketchy dirt roads, but a shorter AS I might if it was set up right.
+dcasr

1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Dcasr... Nancy uses the microwave space to store paper goods.

With the extra weight out, I can toss something else into the trailer. In ten years I cannot recall when we used the microwave. Even at an RV Park. I admit we used the television(s), but never the microwave.

The 27 to 29 foot trailers did well on the Wyoming Adventure. No incidents due to length. Two women driving tow vehicles and long trailers in the 27 to 29 feet. With experience anything can be managed.

Enjoy the lack of blizzards in Georgia. We already have snow near the Front Range in Colorado and we are getting prepared to head off to the Mohave Desert... SOON.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Today, under the bathroom sink is an open area between the cabinet back and the interior aluminum skin. The sink plumbing goes through it and the hot & cold water lines feed to the faucet.

The contents were dusty from the last two weeks of forest service roads in Wyoming. For a quick fix, I used duct tape to seal this approximately 14" by 12" opening. This filled most of this open area.

The thin panel that serves as the back of the cabinet has a wood block on the upper left side and one on the upper right side. This is to secure the back to the cabinet.

The block on the left side was screwed securely to the bottom of the counter. The block to the right had holes drilled to screw to the bottom of the counter, but were missing. There never were any and it is very difficult even to manage a way to put a couple of wood screws to secure the opposite side.

If you put some pressure on the right side, top edge of this panel... you will know immediately if yours has been attached with screws, or not.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
One last comment and if there is no interest, why should I care?

OK... Maybe the Oliver or the Casita has potential. I am still trying to get an Oliver owner in the Denver area to permit me to examine the construction... with no success, yet. Even Oliver itself is reluctant to send any information concerning interiors and exterior construction. The web site is closed to NON Oliver participation and questioning.
Ray, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, the Oliver forum has people on it asking questions all the time who are trying to decide if they will purchase one, you are free to browse the forum and as with any forum you would just need to register to post.

Had I known you were looking to inspect one, I'd have been happy to spend the time with you when I was out there earlier this summer. I know there is an owner in Utah that is happy to show theirs.

If you have specific (or general) questions, please just ask I'm happy to help out and provide any answers I can. If you'd like photos of how any thing is configured I'm happy to help out there too.

There are quite a few of us that lurk around on here to keep abreast of anything we may need to know that crosses over and with how much information and help everyone provides here it's a great learning tool. (That and the fact that there's still only about 150 total Oliver's on the road, the forum activity has some catching up to do)

I will say one of the good aspects to Oliver is they are always taking recommendations and improving the build of the trailer based on input from the current users on the forum. People brought up how noisy the Mach 8 AC was, they checked tested and now run the Penguin. Some started asking about Dexter EZFlex suspension, note it's an option they provide. Recently a few members started wondering about the Nature's Head toilet, it's now an option they include in the build.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Thx Randy for chiming in I was going to add the same information.

We are members of the Oliver forum and they frequently talk improvements and they listen at the factory. Being a smaller family style business they still participate on the forum. They have been in the fiber glass business for a long time. They ceased production during the financial downturn and we were so glad they came back.

Technomadia was a former owner and pioneered a lot of the tech talk that we often referred to here on Airforums. They used to set up at Quartzite in January and we would visit. I still have pictures but they are older ones.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #28
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I already built mine, considering downsizing to a 23D and moving a lot of my gear to it for the ULTIMATE boondocking Airstream setup.