Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I have a Honda 2500w contractor type generator. I have not yet used it while camping. I have read here and was fully aware that the 2500w set would not properly run the AC but out of curiosity I just had to try it out. At home I turned the AC to high cool and promply threw the breaker. Trying again but this time I started on low fan. Then to high fan and on to cooling modes gradually. It did continue to run and provide cooling. After about 20 min I went to unplug it and although it was still running and cooling the plug was very hot. Not to melting plastic stage but I think that if left much longer it would eventually be there. The moral of the story is that, at least in my case, 2500w is not enough to run the AC. So I satisfied my curiosity about that. I do plan to take it on our trip south later this month but I only plan to use it sparingly during the daytime to keep the batteries up. I don't need to run any full time appliances. I anticipate it will be too loud to run full time even if permissable so I don't plan to. And, the big thing, I don't PLAN to need to run the AC. We'll have to see about that one.

Here's to hoping not to annoy other campers.
The electrical connector getting hot indicates either the voltage is too low or that the male / female connections are corroded. Sand the connectors to assure a good metal to metal connection and test the voltage while running to assure it is at a minimum of 110 volts while running.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Not being all that electrical minded I simply knew that something was " not right" when I unpluged it. But to respond to your posting I did check to make sure that all connections were clean. No doubt it simply wasn't supplying sufficent current. If I get inquisitive one of these days I will check the voltage. In a pinch I think it will be OK to power the fan in the AC but not the compressor.

Thanks for the input.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Hi Hunter,

Welcome to the group! I bought a new 28' Int'l last November and bought two of the Honda 2000's in order to run the A/C, microwave when I'm not on shore power. Made this decision based on all the great advice on this Forum. Also bought the add-on gas tank. (Found all this on Ebay, and think I scored a great price). Have a 15,000 BTU A/C, and while I hit fall/winter before needing the A/C, I did hook all this up and it absolutely worked fine. These generators are exceptionally quiet. My plan is to haul just one if I'm not going to need all that current -- and both in the summer. Will put them in the back of my SUV rather with my two basset hounds. Just so you know, spending time running through these Forums will give you a lot of confidence (not to mention great info), on how to best outfit your rig. I selected my hitch (ProPride 3P), upgraded wheel size to 16" for added safety, changed out my charger/converter, and a host of smaller upgrades based on what the "sages" on this site have posted. True, I've invested a fair amount of $ in the process, but with the initial investment in "Silver Leaf" -- well, the upgrades are not that great a percentage. I know you'll enjoy your trailer, and what you'll learn on this Forum!
Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
You know I have seen many comments on these threads about gens noise in campgrounds and people complaining.
What I can't figure out is why in the world someone would run a gen in a campground when you have shore power available?
Now if you are boondocking then I understand it and the others have nothing to complain about except for the camp person/ground should have enough sence to put non-gen in 1 area and gen users in another or group together.
Me when I get mine done the only time it will be used is on the road for pit stops and in boondock if absolutely needed. Otherwise I will use shore power,, just common sence.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I've found that at least the offer an outlet to your neighbors when their setting up tends to lessen the chance conflict, also gives them a heads up that you have a genset and plan to use it. This offer is usually done with "Fado" in tow, just so they know, plus he Loves everyone and is a GREAT icebreaker. Bob
Bob,
Why would one run a gen in a campground instead of shore power?
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Not all campgrounds have electric. There a many state and county parks here that do not have any hook up.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Bob,
Why would one run a gen in a campground instead of shore power?
Sarge,

For us all the "hooking up" is done inside the Airstream.

Atypical are we?, having never been at a campground with a hooking pole outside or dump hole in the ground.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I can't imagine getting worked up over the noise created by one of the inverter type generators (like a Honda EU, or the Yamahas....). They are far quieter than a group of guys sitting around a campfire talking. That guy probably hates kids, grandma's, and dogs too.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums, Hunter... many of us have spent a good deal of time struggling over what generator configuration to go with. The overwhelming choice of generators here are Yamaha or Honda inverter gennies...because of their reputation, their quietness and the "clean" power they provide. Once you decide on the brand, you have to decided how big, etc ... and that is best determined by how you intend to use it, how much power you think you'll need, and the weight issue. For us it came down to Hondas... The Honda EU3000i is extraordinarily quiet and provides all the power most of us need ... but it is heavy at 130lbs. There is a Honda 3000i Handi that is lighter...about 78 lbs and has the nice features of wheels and a handle but a smaller gas tank and slightly louder. For us, the best combination was two Honda 2000i models (also very quiet)...one a "Campanion" and the other a regular 2000i...This gives us the most flexibility and managability at only 45 lbs each and the most potential power when running two in parallel to power the AC (and everything else) when needed ... yet we can take only one when we will have no need for AC. We bought the Companion first ...and about 18 mo later bought a regular 2000 to partner with it when we need the power. Works great for us.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I have a Honda 2500w contractor type generator. I have not yet used it while camping. I have read here and was fully aware that the 2500w set would not properly run the AC but out of curiosity I just had to try it out. At home I turned the AC to high cool and promply threw the breaker. Trying again but this time I started on low fan. Then to high fan and on to cooling modes gradually. It did continue to run and provide cooling. After about 20 min I went to unplug it and although it was still running and cooling the plug was very hot. Not to melting plastic stage but I think that if left much longer it would eventually be there. The moral of the story is that, at least in my case, 2500w is not enough to run the AC.
Very fortunate. In our case - and unknown to me - my wife shifted the sw from fan only to AC .... after only about 5 minutes the breaker on the house blew and then I discovered the plug had melted into an under-rated extension cord.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #25
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Question about charging

Fairly new to Airstreaming and no experience with dry camping. This summer I would like to stay in some national parks and many don't have hook up. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on a Honda that is very quite so I intend to make a noise damping container to reduce noise on a champion.Does a new intell converter put sufficient power back into the battery to charge it say with an hour or two running time so I want be ask to leave. I did get a 3500 watt and will run the AC but may wait to see if we enjoy dry camping before spending my allowance on one that runs so quite. Also when you check in can I assume the rules of usage and quite time are avaiable. Lots to learn.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

GAT,

How quiet do you feel your insulated housing will be able to get the Champion?
You will have to take into consideration the cooling/fresh air needs of the unit.

Our 2000 Honda will charge our two grp 27 AGM's in about an hour while doing the Breakfast thing every morning. "quiet" times are usually posted at check-in or listed on your receipt.

POI...have camped around many noisy generators and people, not aware of anyone being asked to leave. It's more of a PITA and courtesy thing.
We like to follow all the rules..., well maybe all except for the one about hogging the water tower to top the tank.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
We have had more noise from people partying late in the evening, then we have ever had from a generator; especially a Honda or Yamaha. Now to just figure out how to get invited to the party.

Ed
Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;1103195]Sarge,

For us all the "hooking up" is done inside the Airstream.
>> LMAO,, Robert you are so bad, HeHe,

Atypical are we?, having never been at a campground with a hooking pole outside or dump hole in the ground.
>>Yes bob I have been to primative Camps, but do they not fall under BoonDocking? I understand about those, Gens are expected but they also should not be used if not needed

NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA