Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Looking for tips, shower water to BLK Tank

After a few days of boondocking my gray tank starts to get pretty full while the black tank remains empty. So I am thinking of taking gray water from the shower pan and dumping it down the toilet to extend my stay when boondocking.

I'd put the stopper in the drain and let the drain pan fill when taking a shower. When done use some hose and a 12v pump to transfer the gray water from the shower pan to the toilet.

Any of you doing that, and how did it work out?

If you use the pump and hose method, where did you buy the parts needed? Does anyone sell a kit?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Bluto,

When washing dishes I put a dish pan in the kitchen sink and then dump it into the toilet. This helps quite a bit. I have a 10 gallon gray tank in the Safari.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
After a few days of boondocking my gray tank starts to get pretty full while the black tank remains empty. So I am thinking of taking gray water from the shower pan and dumping it down the toilet to extend my stay when boondocking.

I'd put the stopper in the drain and let the drain pan fill when taking a shower. When done use some hose and a 12v pump to transfer the gray water from the shower pan to the toilet.

Any of you doing that, and how did it work out?

If you use the pump and hose method, where did you buy the parts needed? Does anyone sell a kit?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
We do the same thing ....I was told during a class on "toilet care" that adding water to the black water tank will keep the odor down and help to keep your system working correctly. I seems to work , as we have not had a smell from our system after six days of boondocking in July. Bob
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We use a portable submersible pump (local Lowes) and a short length of garden hose (cut from a damaged old one) attached with a brass quick connect pair (from Lee Valley tools).
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Jeez, that sounds like an awful messy daily routine, especially if something leaks. You could let it drain into a 10 or 15 gal. blue boy and then pump it into the black tank via the flush valve just once.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why don't you simply get one of these, open both factory valves, and have a double-sized combined grey and black system?
Amazon.com: Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve: Automotive
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Forget the fancy pumps, piping, manual catch pans. With dump cap still securely on the dump connection, just open GW valve first, leave open, then open BW valve and let GW flow into BW tank till it stops, then close both valves. Later, when both tanks are full, dump. It's that simple. Reason for opening GW first instead of just leaving both valves open all the time is simply to minimize solids/paper migrating into smaller GW piping. Use a cap with a drain so you can drain the section of plumbing between the GW and BW valves into a small pan before removing the cap to dump, makes for a cleaner process.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
Forget the fancy pumps, piping, manual catch pans. With dump cap still securely on the dump connection, just open GW valve first, leave open, then open BW valve and let GW flow into BW tank till it stops, then close both valves. Later, when both tanks are full, dump. It's that simple. Reason for opening GW first instead of just leaving both valves open all the time is simply to minimize solids/paper migrating into smaller GW piping. Use a cap with a drain so you can drain the section of plumbing between the GW and BW valves into a small pan before removing the cap to dump, makes for a cleaner process.
Overlander63's recommendation of the twist-on dump valve is a VASTLY tidier way to accomplish more or less the same thing. That way you don't have to deal with sewage except through the regular drain tube. One could add your gray-then-black technique to move water from gray to black, *IF* one doesn't have an Argosy with black tank above the floor and gray below... in my trailer your technique wouldn't help much, because the tanks aren't on the same level.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks everyone for the helpful tips on how to move the water around.
I'll have to try some these ideas out next time I'm boondocking.