Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
I understand that when one talks painting a Airstream,, shoes,, empty bottles and garbage will be thrown in my direction..

Cant help but think of one could find a water based black paint for winter time use and then in the spring time,, a good wash job and have a shiny trailer again..

Just a mental game I play.. One would think somewhere is made a water based paint that would take a mild soap to wash it off,, but a rain would not hurt it is out in the world somewhere at a fair price..

Look out! Black converse sneaker headed your way!
I can understand the idea and it's a good thought, but in my mind, you got to walk the walk. I'll tough it out.

Cara, John & Johnny
Jet, Our silver stow-a-way
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You wouldn't have to tap the propane line under the stove. In the 25' FB it goes behind the drawers to the right of the stove. Getting a line to the outside of the cabinet would be a challenge if you wanted to come out in front of the cabinet, but underneath the cabinet drawer under the sink if you have the older double sink could work.

The roofs have been white for some time to reflect heat in the summer. They must reflect heat in the winter too, though, as has been said, the poor insulation and all the windows make Airstreams not the best for cold weather camping anyway. Whether the aluminum exterior, shiny or not, reflects heat, I would think so since plumbers often use aluminum sheeting to reflect heat away from flammable things when soldering copper pipe in the walls of a building. Arctic Fox is known for cold weather use (or Desert Fox for the reverse), and they have some nice floor plans, but decor is old fashioned.

A correction—the fiberglass batts are 2". They are hardly enough to provide much R value. Studies show fiberglass batts generally are installed poorly and their actual R value is somewhat less than what it says on the batt. Once they get wet from leaks, they may get worse as they can clump—that further reduces their insulating capabilities.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Fall camping is really the icing on the cake - a great time of year for getting out - but this inevitabley means dealing with below-freezing conditions at night.

Like others - when we don't have an electrical pedestal to plug into - our Yamaha 1000 becomes our best friend - and contributes to pretty much issue free camping. 2 hours running in the morning and 2 hours running in the evening keeps the battery happy and the furnace running during the night.

To minimize energy use (i.e. furnace use) we do keep things a little cooler for sleeping than we might otherwise do - but a duvet keeps things toasty for sleeping (.... having said that - it is my job to get up in the morning - turn the furnace up, get the coffee going and fire up the generator before her Majesty gets out of bed .....)

One thing we do that hasn't been mentioned yet is to set up a dining shelter when we are going to be in a one place for a few days - its purpose is to do double duty as a generator shack in case of snow/sleet - and has proven valuable for that purpose more than once ....

Also not mentioned has been condensation - cold weather camping really contributes to the buildup of any excess moisture on windows and walls - meaning it's important to use exhaust fans very generously when they are needed - keep a window and ceiling vent cracked all the time - and make sure the place gets well aired out every day.

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
We have camped twice when it got pretty cold: 7 degrees in Quemado NM, and 8 degrees in Deming NM. Had electric both times. Only run elec. heater at night on low, then furnace in the morning.

I have also installed a quick-connect for a catalytic heater and use it some - with a window and a vent cracked.

It gets nippy but we have had no problems. I get up and start the furnace and dive back under the electric blanket (an item I consider to be an absolute requirement).

If we were boondocking, I would want to run the generator over night.

16595 is offline   Reply With Quote