Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Can it be used as fire starter? Maybe with a drop of whiskey.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #82
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
How often do you dump the pee bottle? When boondocking do you take it outside and dig a hole and bury it?

How do you clean the bowl after each #2 use? Might be messy after some bad Mexican food.

Kelvin
about once a week, no biggie, usually pour it into a toilet, but since it's sterile, sometimes outside diluted into the garden...
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #83
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

The Wynns in their videos say it lasts them 14 days or 80 uses. But another couple we are friends with "Meantforadventure" has said they go 30 days between batches and that they put paper in the trash.

The upside here though, is even if you poo'd enough to fill it in a couple of days, you can dump it into a composting bag and throw it in the trash.
Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i've emptied my NH 2 times now in about 8 mos...it's pretty awesome. My neighbor will have some excellent roses this season...
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Level Up Your Boondocking - Composting Toilet Install

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get fact so no need to be defensive.

You stated in your post that the waste is safe after 6-8 hours, I am trying to find out how you arrived at this information.

All that the natures head site says about this 6-8 hours is the following "It is advisable that you delay emptying the solid waste for 6-8 hours after the last use." Nothing else that I could find. This is hardly a statement that pathogens are no longer an issue nor that the waste is safe.

I also searched the Wikipedia article and I could not find any statement of the kind.

Again, I am just trying to get reliable information, would you care to share how you arrived at your statement that the waste is safe after 6-8 hours? I am not saying composted, because that can take up to 2 years to fully compost.

-J

Quote:
All of the details are on wiki, read up the various section on the dry process and handling timeframes. It's not compost in 6-8hrs. That's the confusion, sorry. It's dry material that can be disposed of in the medium to continue the process. Some further reading, you can read about the reuse process to get it to further levels, where it can actually become like manure. But as stated earlier, we're just turning it into humus. You can read the wiki links on that, humus is basically dead stuff on the soil that is still breaking down.

Either way, I don't know what more authoritative source you want if the manufacturer wasn't good enough. Seems like pointless worry. Last use at night. Go to bed, wake up, dump it before first use into a composting bag and chuck it.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:06 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Like I said earlier, I am a fan of these and would use them.

But, while some are asking for reliable information, I feel compelled to question the repeated assertion that urine is sterile. Google "is urine sterile", and come to your own conclusion.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Within minutes of eating asparagus, urine has a unique smell. The color of mine reflects my level of hydration. The kidneys are removing impurities from the blood which goes out as a part of the urine. If a person has Aids, that disease can bet retransmitted via boldly fluids of which urine is a part.

Our female dogs created a white spot in the yard grass when they peed which did not happen with the male dogs.

Most guys have watered the trees in the woods since the beginning of time.

So I am wondering about the safe disposal of that fluid.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
If I remember correctly, it takes at least 160 degrees fahrenheit to kill bacteria. Actually we boil water to make it safe if unknown where it comes from. How can just warming the waste up enough to evaporate off the water content make it safe.
I believe it only makes it easier to handle.
Urine is sterile, but only until it is exposed to air. Then it is a perfect food for bacteria. Just smell it after a day sitting out. That is the byproduct of bacteria.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
about once a week, no biggie, usually pour it into a toilet, but since it's sterile, sometimes outside diluted into the garden...

Although it is considered "common knowledge" that urine is sterile, I don't think that is really so.

"RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazilian researchers said Friday that they had found the “active” presence of the Zika virus in saliva and urine samples, raising the possibility that the infection could be spread through kissing and other contact involving bodily fluids."

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #89
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Don't buy one and you won't die. Problem solved.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Wow, nice attitude.

So much about trying to be helpful.

Since it seems that BoldAdventure is unable to provide any reliable information, and easily gets his feathers ruffled at the polite request for real information, does anyone know the actual time that it takes for the waste to become safe to handle?

I have been and still am very interested in getting a composting toilet but I prefer to be properly informed before actually making the purchase.

I would very much appreciate any information anyone has to share that is not opinion or conjecture.

BoldAdventure, I am sorry that you seem to get all bent out of shape every time someone asks for some backing to the information you share (see your lithium battery thread). We could all have a much more productive discussion on these topics if you did not get bent out of shape so easily.

-J

Quote:

Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Check out the manufacturers websites for all the details. The composting happens via dehydration.

Urine is not sterile, but bacterial contamination is extremely low when it leaves the body. Very few illnesses can get transmitted through urine, this excludes the HIV virus which is only transmitted through blood, semen or viginal fluid. Not all bodily fluids are created equal.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is some **** that ain't worth the effort it takes to argue about it
Old 02-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:

Whoa there buddy!

I was just pointing out that contrary to the current common narrative, urine ain't sterile.

I think the claimed sterility of urine is one of those stories that kinda grew legs because it was thought of as a "shocking truth", irrespective of the fact that it ain't true.

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Speaking of toilets, this looks interesting. Imagine using the loo and having it charge your batteries!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainab...ane-technology

Old 02-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

For folks who want to stay out away from dump stations for several days or weeks at a time composting toilets might be a good answer, but not for me.

I went the other direction. I have a flush toilet. Eight "full" flushes to a full and heavily diluted black tank. I use Clorox to treat the tank, odor is near ZERO even at the end of the dump hose.

When I drain the tanks, I usually always manage to keep my hands clean and dry.

Different people, different solutions to a common problem.

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #96
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'm not bent out of shape, but I am tired of passive aggressive posts with insults thrown in. I posted my install, to share and help others who might want to install one.

If you think my statements are suspect, or wrong, and incorrect, please link me to the correct information and I'll change my opinion. But don't ask me to find it for you.

I'm sure someone else can continue to answer questions in this thread.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Not bent out of shape?

Re-read my question and you will see that all I did was politely ask where you got the information you provided? If you can't stand people asking you to tell us where you got your information, then I don't know what to say.

I am still hoping someone can corroborate the information.

-J

Quote:
I'm not bent out of shape, but I am tired of passive aggressive posts with insults thrown in. I posted my install, to share and help others who might want to install one.

If you think my statements are suspect, or wrong, and incorrect, please link me to the correct information and I'll change my opinion. But don't ask me to find it for you.

I'm sure someone else can continue to answer questions in this thread.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This PDF may help: http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/Chapter_6.pdf

Page 107 (not in the PDF but from the source) suggest 2 months for a non-heat compost.

I don't know how authoritative the source is - but it's a source.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You could also Google "humanure time to safe disposal" for a list of helpful links.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
apologies if this posts twice, in trying to fix the photo link,it wasn't letting me edit, and it appears my post was deleted. I'll try again in one go.

first of all, if you yourself are not infected with any parasites or pathogens, then you don't need to worry about how long it takes to kill them off. Most of the bacteria in our feces is harmless. (don't have roundworms? then don't need to worry about how long they take to kill off. Don't have Giardia? Don't worry about infecting people with it.) While there is risk with individuals infected with things that can pass the fecal to oral route, if you're not infected, the concern is really not something you should worry about. Also, if someone else uses your compost toilet and you're not certain if they might have a disease that you could contact... wash your damn hands if you come into contact with it. Wash your hands before you eat even if you don't come into contact with fecal matter... it's a good rule of thumb.

There has been a bit of misinformation though I think in this thread. The type of composting done matters greatly as to how quickly various pathogens die. Just spreading your waste on the soil (or pooping in a cathole 6 inches deep) a number of bacteria in our intestines will just die on their own. Some pathogens and certainly things like roundworm eggs can live longer. (the eggs can lay dormant for years, always wash your hands... you can pick a flower that had a worm on it from a growing where a dog pooped years ago and get infected)

Composting kills this stuff. Different kinds of composting kills it at different rates. Certainly putting it just in a bucket and leaving it, most everything can get killed off within a year, but if you want to be certain about it, you need to compost at high temperatures, where things DO get killed off quickly. (this would be minutes to hours, depending on the pathogen)

The turning of poop in a bucket with peat or coco coir, or whatever other cover matter and compost starter... after a few hours, hasn't likely raised the temperature up high enough to kill off the stuff that you're worried about. (but again, stop worrying about it unless you already know you're sick with it, and if you are... then you're already sick with it so it's weird for you to worry so much, you'd know your poop is already a biohazard in that case, and no, you wouldn't just put it into a garbage can until your treated and well again.) But it WILL compost, and eventually kill off the pathogens...

Read the Humanure Handbook if you want to learn how to compost so that nothing survives the pile after a few hours of the right temperature. Here's a handy couple of charts from the book that can ease your mind about it. (and someone mentioned they weren't sure of their sources, but I give you the World Health Organization as one, and a study from Feachem for the other, two very very good sources) You can download the book online free, definitely worth a read.

(nothing survives an hour in a thermophilic pile)

You can look at the anaerobic and the compost toilet retention times for the natures head, and determine that it's a combination of the two. I'd put the poop in a thermophilic pile myself.
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, composting toilet, diy, natures head, toilet