Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #141
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Perhaps you can also merge your black and grey tanks via a connector, especially if you've yet to christen the black tank, as it were.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That's what we think. Extra grey tank volume sounds good. And of late the composting toilets are getting good feedback. Well see how it works out. We have yet to come up with a floor plan.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #143
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We dumped our first batch yesterday. Faster and easier than dumping a black tank, that's for sure. So we lasted for 3 weeks with two adults.

The consistency of the material, it looked like dirt. No visible human waste signs. Also smelled like damp dirt.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That's great information thanks for updating.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
We dumped our first batch yesterday. Faster and easier than dumping a black tank, that's for sure. So we lasted for 3 weeks with two adults.

The consistency of the material, it looked like dirt. No visible human waste signs. Also smelled like damp dirt.
Thanks for the update. How long had it been since your last deposit of solid material into this first batch? Did you let it sit for a while? Also, curious where you dumped it (or buried it).

Thanks.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What is the volume of the composting toilet? How much of it do you fill with the composting agent to start off with.

Showed my wife the composting toilet and she said "no way".

Maybe if these toilets didn't look so "butt" ugly I might bring her around eventually.

Are you going to run a pipe between your gray and black tank so you have one large gray tank or just keep it as it is in case you want to put the Airstream on the market and restore the wet toilet.

Seems a great solution for full timers like you who are off the grid.

Here's one persons review

Kelvin
Old 02-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #147
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the update. How long had it been since your last deposit of solid material into this first batch? Did you let it sit for a while? Also, curious where you dumped it (or buried it).

Thanks.
We last used it probably around 8pm and dumped it this morning at 7am.

And here is what it looks like
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCJF-FpP...=boldadventure

It's in a compostable bag in my truck, awaiting a dumpster run. I'm in the desert, and there is nowhere friendly to bury. Maybe if I was in a forest with good soil and things to continue the process. But not here. So it's going to the landfill.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #148
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wow, that video shows one nasty-looking toilet. Looks like she doesn't haven enough coir in the poop compartment and well, the regularly overflowing urine container, just nasty. I'm kinda thinking that one's not representative of most users...at least I hope not!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Lol, no.... Thank you anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What is the volume of the composting toilet? How much of it do you fill with the composting agent to start off with.

Showed my wife the composting toilet and she said "no way".

Maybe if these toilets didn't look so "butt" ugly I might bring her around eventually.

Are you going to run a pipe between your gray and black tank so you have one large gray tank or just keep it as it is in case you want to put the Airstream on the market and restore the wet toilet.

Seems a great solution for full timers like you who are off the grid.

Here's one persons review

Kelvin

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #150
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Yea I noticed that, I don't think she cleans. That was gross. Her's looks really damp, like overly damp. Also, problems we don't have. How hard is it to dump the pee container? Seriously. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd take more photos but not trying to gross you out.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Honestly I stopped watching as soon as she took the top section of the devise apart.

It was,,,,, well, it looked kinda NASTY.

I guess a person could take that thing outside and hose it out after dumping? If that thing requires scrubbing by hand...

I am not a fan of poop, that job would bring on a very deep gag reflex on my part.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #152
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Looks like another example of not following instructions and little common sense. I believe these things will work, some people can mess up anything.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #153
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
"It keeps overflowing", you're supposed to empty it before then dingbat! That's user error, not product design.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #154
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Post 152
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #155
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
of all the compost toilet videos out there, that one is the ONE video that absolutely shows them at their worst, and she totally turned me off the Nature's Head version... but it's not the toilet, it's her! It's so freaking nasty, I'd rather have a home depot bucket and just not stir it. User error? How about user terror??? I know plenty of people with composting toilets and several even with this version, and not a single one of them has ever complained about the nature's head (though one has complained about the sun mar one) Seriously, if you wanted to choose one video to make people think, thanks but no thanks, you hit on the right one. (agenda??)
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfire View Post
of all the compost toilet videos out there, that one is the ONE video that absolutely shows them at their worst, and she totally turned me off the Nature's Head version... but it's not the toilet, it's her! It's so freaking nasty, I'd rather have a home depot bucket and just not stir it. User error? How about user terror??? I know plenty of people with composting toilets and several even with this version, and not a single one of them has ever complained about the nature's head (though one has complained about the sun mar one) Seriously, if you wanted to choose one video to make people think, thanks but no thanks, you hit on the right one. (agenda??)
I think his intent is fairly obvious.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Even if I wasn't married I know I would not date the girl in that composting toilet video.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The video simply illustrated the difference between theoretical and real-world outcomes. If someone is operating in isolated conditions and can rigorously control the composting toilet, all should be well. But there are no forgiving margins. Throw a small party, or take a few Girl Scout Daisies on a trip and yes, you can count on user error by definition - because those types of participants have neither the training nor the motivation to use the device in a manner consistent with its design (and even with training they will quickly default to plumbed porcelain toilet operating assumptions by virtue of life-long habituation). And then things rapidly get very nasty from there.

That's the same result I encountered while trying to use a portable marine toilet while group camping. One thinks to oneself, "How much mess could a few little kids possibly make with this?" Answer: A mind-blowing amount. Enough so that one is not inclined to ever repeat the experiment.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
Using that real world analogy will also apply to a regular plumbed in toilet in a house, but it doesn't mean it is a good example of what actual real world use would be. Ever use a public bathroom that hasn't had its hourly (or even daily) cleaning? Ever work somewhere that you were the one to have to clean the bathrooms? What you would never expect in a real world situation in your home, with your regular home use, is often seen in these kinds of bathrooms, because yes, there are pigs out there who just don't know how to clean. Doesn't matter if it's a composting toilet, a regular RV toilet, or a plumbed into the wall and city sewer toilet, if you have a pig using it, and not keeping it clean, it's going to look like a mess.

Using that kind of example, of any kind of toilet as what you can expect... in your own house? Well, maybe our standards are a little higher than yours? I keep my house cleaner than that, your mileage may vary, and if you really think that's acceptable and to be expected, perhaps you might want to up your own standards too.
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, composting toilet, diy, natures head, toilet