Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #71
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
here's my install,
http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/1-2-natures-head/

super convenient, and i have now emptied it for the second time. so far that's 2 times in 8 months of full timing.

Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
How often do you dump the pee bottle? When boondocking do you take it outside and dig a hole and bury it?

How do you clean the bowl after each #2 use? Might be messy after some bad Mexican food.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
How often do you dump the pee bottle? When boondocking do you take it outside and dig a hole and bury it?

How do you clean the bowl after each #2 use? Might be messy after some bad Mexican food.

Kelvin
Whenever it gets full!!! About every 3 days for two people. So far we have been able to dump into campground toilet facilities but we are boondocking on BLM land near Why, Az and will dump outside. Probably in a hole.

If you can aim your #2 you won't have a mess to clean. Otherwise we use the provided spray bottle containing a water vinegar mixture. That works really well.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #74
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I never took time to understand the idea of a composting toilet until I came across this thread. The concept certainly has some appeal.

So I've been giving thought to my current toilet habits and I realize that I would need to retrain myself in order to use this particular composting toilet (Nature's Head) and perhaps any composting toilet if the idea is to keep liquids and solids separate.

Does anyone else out there find themselves "going" #1 and #2 simultaneously? Am I the only person who would need to be retrained in order to use a composting toilet?

I know this is going on a little tangent but inquiring minds want to know.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #75
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I never took time to understand the idea of a composting toilet until I came across this thread. The concept certainly has some appeal.

So I've been giving thought to my current toilet habits and I realize that I would need to retrain myself in order to use this particular composting toilet (Nature's Head) and perhaps any composting toilet if the idea is to keep liquids and solids separate.

Does anyone else out there find themselves "going" #1 and #2 simultaneously? Am I the only person who would need to be retrained in order to use a composting toilet?

Been talking with a friend who has an Airhead comparing complaints and notes.

The Natures Head seems to do a good job of handling this. You won't have a problem. I don't have a problem.

Also, for guys, you can certainly stand with this and go, even though it recommends you don't. I think the recommendation comes from the bowl depth, which is very shallow, so splash back is a possibly.

As for cleaning the bowl, the trap door is pretty large, and I've already made the mistake of 2 cups of coffee on an empty stomach this week. No problems, and I was surprised. Because a brush would of come out on the other toilet. Now if that's not TMI

Seriously, haven't discussed pooping with so many people before.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post

There is nothing stopping you from simultaneously going #1/2. Each has their own separate destination and portals.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The point of the composting toilet is to let natural bacteria's do their work and break down the material. It's safe within 6-8 hrs and is no longer human waste. That's why you can dispose of it legally.

Can you provide an authoritative source of this information? I have been considering a Natures Head toilet for some time, and I have heard this from others, but never seen an authoritative source for the 6-8 hours.

Thanks,

-J
Old 02-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Can you provide an authoritative source of this information? I have been considering a Natures Head toilet for some time, and I have heard this from others, but never seen an authoritative source for the 6-8 hours.

Thanks,

-J
Yes, the source material would be interesting to see.

FYI Wikipedia has a good article on UDDT's, but it seems to say that the dry fecal material should be composted for 6 months before disposal, however that time period would seem to apply to the basic dry composting process, not a fan-assisted mobile RV system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine-...ing_dry_toilet

Still, 6-8 hours does not seem correct IMO.

PS -- Edit -- BoldAdventure has the same link in the middle of his earlier Post 28 I just realized.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #79
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
All of the details are on wiki, read up the various section on the dry process and handling timeframes. It's not compost in 6-8hrs. That's the confusion, sorry. It's dry material that can be disposed of in the medium to continue the process. Some further reading, you can read about the reuse process to get it to further levels, where it can actually become like manure. But as stated earlier, we're just turning it into humus. You can read the wiki links on that, humus is basically dead stuff on the soil that is still breaking down.

Either way, I don't know what more authoritative source you want if the manufacturer wasn't good enough. Seems like pointless worry. Last use at night. Go to bed, wake up, dump it before first use into a composting bag and chuck it.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
So can small potty training age children use the Nature's Head? Has anyone had experience?

With our family of 6 I wonder if the toilet could even handle that level of production?

I do have to laugh a bit because with 4 kids we've been handling human waste for years. And now we have added to that the multi-sensory experience of watching #2 whoosh down that clear tube...dealing with humus sounds like a treat in comparison.

"wherever we go, we're always home"
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Can it be used as fire starter? Maybe with a drop of whiskey.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #82
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin
about once a week, no biggie, usually pour it into a toilet, but since it's sterile, sometimes outside diluted into the garden...
Old 02-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #83
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:

The Wynns in their videos say it lasts them 14 days or 80 uses. But another couple we are friends with "Meantforadventure" has said they go 30 days between batches and that they put paper in the trash.

The upside here though, is even if you poo'd enough to fill it in a couple of days, you can dump it into a composting bag and throw it in the trash.
Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i've emptied my NH 2 times now in about 8 mos...it's pretty awesome. My neighbor will have some excellent roses this season...
Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Level Up Your Boondocking - Composting Toilet Install

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get fact so no need to be defensive.

You stated in your post that the waste is safe after 6-8 hours, I am trying to find out how you arrived at this information.

All that the natures head site says about this 6-8 hours is the following "It is advisable that you delay emptying the solid waste for 6-8 hours after the last use." Nothing else that I could find. This is hardly a statement that pathogens are no longer an issue nor that the waste is safe.

I also searched the Wikipedia article and I could not find any statement of the kind.

Again, I am just trying to get reliable information, would you care to share how you arrived at your statement that the waste is safe after 6-8 hours? I am not saying composted, because that can take up to 2 years to fully compost.

-J

Quote:
All of the details are on wiki, read up the various section on the dry process and handling timeframes. It's not compost in 6-8hrs. That's the confusion, sorry. It's dry material that can be disposed of in the medium to continue the process. Some further reading, you can read about the reuse process to get it to further levels, where it can actually become like manure. But as stated earlier, we're just turning it into humus. You can read the wiki links on that, humus is basically dead stuff on the soil that is still breaking down.

Either way, I don't know what more authoritative source you want if the manufacturer wasn't good enough. Seems like pointless worry. Last use at night. Go to bed, wake up, dump it before first use into a composting bag and chuck it.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Tags
boondocking, composting toilet, diy, natures head, toilet