Old 02-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #155
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
of all the compost toilet videos out there, that one is the ONE video that absolutely shows them at their worst, and she totally turned me off the Nature's Head version... but it's not the toilet, it's her! It's so freaking nasty, I'd rather have a home depot bucket and just not stir it. User error? How about user terror??? I know plenty of people with composting toilets and several even with this version, and not a single one of them has ever complained about the nature's head (though one has complained about the sun mar one) Seriously, if you wanted to choose one video to make people think, thanks but no thanks, you hit on the right one. (agenda??)

Old 02-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfire View Post
of all the compost toilet videos out there, that one is the ONE video that absolutely shows them at their worst, and she totally turned me off the Nature's Head version... but it's not the toilet, it's her! It's so freaking nasty, I'd rather have a home depot bucket and just not stir it. User error? How about user terror??? I know plenty of people with composting toilets and several even with this version, and not a single one of them has ever complained about the nature's head (though one has complained about the sun mar one) Seriously, if you wanted to choose one video to make people think, thanks but no thanks, you hit on the right one. (agenda??)
I think his intent is fairly obvious.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Even if I wasn't married I know I would not date the girl in that composting toilet video.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The video simply illustrated the difference between theoretical and real-world outcomes. If someone is operating in isolated conditions and can rigorously control the composting toilet, all should be well. But there are no forgiving margins. Throw a small party, or take a few Girl Scout Daisies on a trip and yes, you can count on user error by definition - because those types of participants have neither the training nor the motivation to use the device in a manner consistent with its design (and even with training they will quickly default to plumbed porcelain toilet operating assumptions by virtue of life-long habituation). And then things rapidly get very nasty from there.

That's the same result I encountered while trying to use a portable marine toilet while group camping. One thinks to oneself, "How much mess could a few little kids possibly make with this?" Answer: A mind-blowing amount. Enough so that one is not inclined to ever repeat the experiment.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
Using that real world analogy will also apply to a regular plumbed in toilet in a house, but it doesn't mean it is a good example of what actual real world use would be. Ever use a public bathroom that hasn't had its hourly (or even daily) cleaning? Ever work somewhere that you were the one to have to clean the bathrooms? What you would never expect in a real world situation in your home, with your regular home use, is often seen in these kinds of bathrooms, because yes, there are pigs out there who just don't know how to clean. Doesn't matter if it's a composting toilet, a regular RV toilet, or a plumbed into the wall and city sewer toilet, if you have a pig using it, and not keeping it clean, it's going to look like a mess.

Using that kind of example, of any kind of toilet as what you can expect... in your own house? Well, maybe our standards are a little higher than yours? I keep my house cleaner than that, your mileage may vary, and if you really think that's acceptable and to be expected, perhaps you might want to up your own standards too.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I just wanted to post that video because it is the opposite of the squeaky clean Gone with the Wynns composting toilet video. For informational purposes only to hopefully help someone decide if a composting toilet is right for them.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #162
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am sure the maker of the video also raises some plump, juicy, and delicious tomatoes grown in fertile recycled slurry.

Yum!

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #163
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
In contrast to the Gone with the Wynne's videos yes, it shows some of the downsides to the Nature's Head, in that, if you DON'T clean it... or empty the container, then it's a huge fail. If that's a concern at all, then it's not the right toilet for you. (I'm not a fan of anything but its smaller size myself, why you need to crank and stir your poop is just beyond me when other, better solutions exist)

To contrast the Nature's Head with another option, this is a little more expensive, a little larger, but you never, EVER, have to worry about spilling your pee or emptying it, because it separates the urine directly into your greywater tank rather than into a jar that you have to watch religiously and keep an eye on. What else, is that you don't need a "cover" material on the poop (unless you want one) because the fan runs constantly and dries it out (though you will want to use toilet paper in it to aid in that, and it might not be a bad idea to save some cover material for any time someone may be ill, I would on a just in case, and then empty it right away)

The people I know with this one, say that it only needs to be emptied around every 6-8 weeks with two people, which fits with their 3-4 weeks for a family of 4. (it even comes with a potty seat if you have little ones, that's a handy feature) and it's used a hell of a lot more like a normal toilet. Men can even pee standing up, so long as they aim!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #164
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Not the right toilet for you if you are a lazy slob. Got it.

The above toilet looks pretty cool, but more suited for a tiny house. Downside of an Airstream, have to find something that fits in that bathroom. That leaves Natures Head and the AirHead as the two go-to options.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If you want to, you can divert a Nature's Head into the grey tank. Not an issue.

The toilet shown in the video is an excellent choice is space and weight are of no concern, i.e. in a tiny house.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
They do make a weekender model that takes up a lot less room, but you lose a few bells and whistles. I think it's a better choice in a tight space, hard to find specs on these though.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #167
Motivated

1974 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
San Jose , California
Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMarty
I have been a big fan of composting toilets for a long time and will definitively put one into my trailer.
Besides Nature's Head and Airhead there is also C-Head, which might be more aesthetically pleasing to some, since they offer them in teak and mahogany besides plain white. http://www.c-head.com
Old 02-28-2016, 05:54 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I looked at the C-Heads, but decided against them. Their capacity is about a third of that reported by Nature's Head and Airhead users. Too small to be usable for a family of five.

Tags
boondocking, composting toilet, diy, natures head, toilet