Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Let's go up THAT road!

I didn't fully realize it at the time, although I should have, but the main reason my wife agreed to buy the AS was to go boondocking, not to camp where there are full hookups. It could have something to do with her having been the first woman mountain guide for the National Outdoor Leadership School back in the '70's, when they didn't have such a thing as women mountain guides. I met her back when we were both into disappearing into the mountains for 30 days at a stretch with nothing more than a two person tent. But now that I am 70, Airstream camping is more my speed, and I join her only on those backpacking trips where she can guarantee that I can spend the afternoons fishing in the sun.

So we have a 23' Flying Cloud with solar, which I guess is a good start. But as we are going down the road, she will often say, "Let's go up THAT road." Meaning a dirt road that heads off into some mountains. To which I respond, "How do I know that I can turn around once we get there?" Since I'm the one responsible for turning around, and at this stage of my career am none too good at it, and imagine myself having to back up five miles, which I'm none too good at either, it is a concern of mine. This usually results in a look, that communicates "You wuss!" from her.

So what do you do if you want to explore a new dirt road? Do you assume there will be somewhere to turn around? Do you unhitch the trailer and make a scouting trip in the truck? Or?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
GPS with highly detailed maps to at least show that the road goes somewhere and doesn't peter out would be a good idea. Google earth satellite images show amazing detail as well. Barring that, find a place to base camp the trailer and go exploring with the TV. If you like what you see come back for the trailer.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
You could also have wife improve her backing and turning skills, head up the road on a mountain bike or a dirt bike.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Gee this reminds me of the Long,Long Trailer when Stacy said 'Turn right here !,left ' and poor Micky went up a forest road .... you know the rest I'm sure.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have been there. Many times, as I am sweating bullets, and wondering what in the world was I thinking, I try to not look or act the least bit worried.

There is a CG south of the Tetons that is a wonderful place to be. It's secluded, has a pool, and fantastic fly fishing. The only problem is it is 13 miles back on the nastiest, narrowest gravel road I've ever travelled. It's called Granite Creek, and it's my favorite place to hide out.

If I had never taken "that road" years ago, I would have never found Granite Creek.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I follow a blog, watsonswander, young working fulltimers in a 1999 25 towed by a 4x4 Tundra and they boondock a lot to save on expenses. Check out their adventures. They check out sites via Google maps, recommendations from others they are in contact with, talking to locals and forest service offices and solo exploring. They have some articles on how they choose boondocking sites.

Kelvin
Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
I didn't fully realize it at the time, although I should have, but the main reason my wife agreed to buy the AS was to go boondocking, not to camp where there are full hookups. It could have something to do with her having been the first woman mountain guide for the National Outdoor Leadership School back in the '70's, when they didn't have such a thing as women mountain guides. I met her back when we were both into disappearing into the mountains for 30 days at a stretch with nothing more than a two person tent. But now that I am 70, Airstream camping is more my speed, and I join her only on those backpacking trips where she can guarantee that I can spend the afternoons fishing in the sun.

So we have a 23' Flying Cloud with solar, which I guess is a good start. But as we are going down the road, she will often say, "Let's go up THAT road." Meaning a dirt road that heads off into some mountains. To which I respond, "How do I know that I can turn around once we get there?" Since I'm the one responsible for turning around, and at this stage of my career am none too good at it, and imagine myself having to back up five miles, which I'm none too good at either, it is a concern of mine. This usually results in a look, that communicates "You wuss!" from her.

So what do you do if you want to explore a new dirt road? Do you assume there will be somewhere to turn around? Do you unhitch the trailer and make a scouting trip in the truck? Or?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
My wife used to be that way until she started towing the trailer herself and realized the difficulties in turning around in close spaces, and backing up. Now she understands. If not done already, my suggestion is to have your wife learn to drive the trailer and try to turn it around in a controlled situation with limited space.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Yes, you do that a couple of times and find out the hard way that sometimes the rainbow at the end of the road is just rain. Had to back up an arroyo to turn around once and spent about an hour getting out of the soft sand. So now we pick an area, find a spot to camp or leave the trailer, and go exploring from there to find potential new spots. Also stop at BLM offices or Ranger stations to get specific area information. Backing up a winding dirt road is slow and not fun backing out on a paved highway with traffic.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Typically I have already scouted the area out on a previous trip. If not and I am worried about turn around , park the trailer and go for a hike. I have also just gritted my teeth and headed up the road, hope for the best. So far I have been very lucky.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I'm afraid of hitting the bottom of my AS's holding tanks and rear bumper on rough roads.

Kelvin
Old 02-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
We carry some extra wood, 2 x 8's and the like, to get us through those sideways ruts from water run off. Just lay a plank into the rut and run right over top of it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sometimes we've gone down "that road" and wished we hadn't, sometimes it's okay. Probably shouldn't go down any unknown road farther than you're willing and able to walk back from. Or willing to drive out leaving the Airstream behind.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The worst is following a sign to a campground, and having the gate closed at the end with no place to turn around at all. My worst was at an eastern state campground (maybe Georga, not sure now) where there was no indication of the place being closed, absolutely no place to turn my 25' AS around, and almost dark. I had to back up about half a mile, and you can bet that was no fun.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
On another post, dexter has made up a frame spacer and bolts to raise your trailer by some 2 7/8 inches. Number 11 torflex lift kit ( K71-724-02) price is 182.22. You might check this out......