Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Lakes in the high Sierras

Do any of you have much experience with camping in the mountains? We like to boondock in State Park and Forest Service campgrounds, and inspite of the "first come..." gamble, we've been pretty lucky so far, especially if we arrive on a Wed. or Thurs.
One of our favorite things to do is take our tandem kayak out on a lake that doesn't have a lot of motor-boat activity. We also love the high Sierra-granite-Ponderosa Pine-Alpine wildflower and bird thing. Alpine Lake on Hwy 4 was a great find, and now we're looking for something similar. Has anyone been to Caples lake off 88? Any other recommendations? We're already looking at Wright's Lake (thanks Niel and Lynn) and would love any other "thumbs up."
Many thanks,
Janet

Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hi Janet. Jan and I have been to Caples Lake a couple of times. It is not a motorboat free lake, but the launch facilities are very limited, so generally small boats are the rule. Kayaks should be fine there. When we used to tent camp, we towed a 14' skiff and would trout fish there with excellent luck. We stayed at the NFS Caples Lake campround and it was nice, but right on the highway. I'm not sure about the camping facilities for RVs but it is a nice place and I would recommend it.

If you are daring and have time, you and Terry may consider going to the eastern Sierras too. There are some really nice kayakable (word?) lakes there such as Virginia lakes, Green lakes, Twin lakes etc. Twin Lakes has a private RV-camping resort called Mono Village which is really basic but nice. Another nice place is in eastern Yosemite up by Tioga Pass in Inyo NF (9000.'+) Tioga , Ellery and Saddlebag lakes are really nice, but not sure what the RV camping is like.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Steve, exactly the kind of input we're looking for. We're taking Terry's 85 year old dad with us on the next trip, and he's spent many years hiking, skiing, camping, and fishing in the mountains. Now as a recent widower, we want to take him back to where he has many fond memories. Caples sounds like might be just the ticket.
We love the Eastern Sierras, but haven't towed over Tioga pass. I tend to gasp a lot where there are no guard rails, and am not sure I can manage even a wan smile as we careen around those hideous turns. But Twin Lakes are especially alluring and may be just tempting enough... Really do appreciate the info!
Janet
Old 07-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Take your time.

Janet,
just take it slow.... The trailer will follow the truck most of the time

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Janet---To amplify on comments already made about the Eastern Sierra, these is spectacular boondock camping available from Bishop on the South to Bridgeport on the North. Also, some nice camping along the Walker river N. of Bridgeport. Virginia canyon, Lundy canyon, Lee Vining Canyon, June Lakes loop and the Mammoth Lakes all have the type of camping you are looking for. Don't forget you can take the interstate to Lake Tahoe and then go south on 395 as a way around the slow and steep passes of Tioga, Sonora and Monitor.

Most of the alpine camping is at 9000 ft or so, so check with the dad first about his altitude tolerance. Mammoth was in the low 80's today while Yosemite Valley at 4000 ft had a 100F day.

Have fun.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Silver Lake is up there near Caples Lake. It has an RV resort that you might want to check out. We stayed at Caples with our 15' SOB and because there is no dump station, we ended up going to Silver Lake for that. Silver lake is really nice too, and may be more suited to your 25er.
http://www.plassesresort.com/Brochure2003.pdf
Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Bob~Great info. and advice, and a good reminder about the altitude...
And Michelle, I keep trying to remember that the trailer isn't going to drag us over the edge, but not all thought is rational. Take care up there!
Janet
Old 07-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Steve. Sounds like a good call. Will let you know how it goes.
Janet
Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We have 2 single kayaks. If you bring yours to the LSA rally, maybe we can do a kayak paddle together...
Old 07-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
Janet---To amplify on comments already made about the Eastern Sierra, these is spectacular boondock camping available from Bishop on the South to Bridgeport on the North. Also, some nice camping along the Walker river N. of Bridgeport. Virginia canyon, Lundy canyon, Lee Vining Canyon, June Lakes loop and the Mammoth Lakes all have the type of camping you are looking for. Don't forget you can take the interstate to Lake Tahoe and then go south on 395 as a way around the slow and steep passes of Tioga, Sonora and Monitor.

Most of the alpine camping is at 9000 ft or so, so check with the dad first about his altitude tolerance. Mammoth was in the low 80's today while Yosemite Valley at 4000 ft had a 100F day.

Have fun.
wow, great information...

does anyone have any information on the recently rewatered portion of the owens river for boondocking?

it's so new, that i can't find much on the web.

is there (if anyone knows) BLM access along the "new" 62 miles of owens river?

any info would be helpful,

kevin
Old 08-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Shaver Lake , California
Hi Janet, up on the Tioga Pass road, heading east leaving the Park and after passing by the Saddlebag Lake turnoff, there is a turnout of sorts, actually a little loop, it looks like it was part of the old Tioga Road and is located just across from one of the Tioga Lake campgrounds where I used to park when I had a motorhome and still see people there for the night (or longer) in their various rigs, still as of this summer.

The campgrounds up at Saddlebag, by the way, have magnificent views. I think they're around $8 a night.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Janet, you mentioned Wrights lake, we've gone there for years, great area.
We also like Shaver Lake and Huntington lake above Fresno.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Prosser Lake

Just spent 4 days boondocking at Prosser Lake off Hi Way 89 four miles north of Truckee. Great USFS campground and only paddles and oars on the lake.

And it was away from the thrundering California herd!
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Paddle-o-rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
We have 2 single kayaks. If you bring yours to the LSA rally, maybe we can do a kayak paddle together...
I'll be bringing the tandem for sure and maybe the newly finished CLC 14 single. LL and I are planning on staying on the north shore wed and thur nites and relocating to south shore fri. We'll paddle anytime, working on the gimballed wine holders now!

how about a full moon paddle thursday nite?? Then a campfire with a touch of wine!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote