Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Just bought my 1st 31 International

Just bought my 1st 31' 1972 International
YIKES !!!! MICE !!! It gutting time for me there everywhere. haha I'll post picts. The only good thing is the wiring is in great shape and the shell is perfict. But theres some dry rot on the floor, so most of that will have to go. Windows need to be resealed. Im going to go all electric, with 10 6volt battries, solar and wind. On demand water heater and a heatpump. For when im plugged in. Has anybody done anything like this?

P.S. what a great place for info. All the imput has been great. Wonderful website. Thank's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-15 airstream 1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	174691  
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I have added extra batteries. Total of four group 27's, which are 12 volts. You can check my blog for details on how I did it. 10 batteries is a lot of weight, you might not want to put them all in one spot.

When my Armstrong air conditioner died I installed a Carrier AirV heat pump. These are no longer available but there are other heat pumps out there. It is nice to be able to heat for free when plugged in at a place that doesn't charge extra for electricity.

You will want to check the specs on the heat pump you plan to buy. Mine will run the compressor until the outdoor temperature is around 40 and at that point an electric heat strip cycles on and off and that works well. Others will run a defrost cycle which is noisy and the colder it is, the more often it will defrost.

Now you say you will be all electric, but I suggest propane for cooking and certainly refrigeration. If your old Dometic fridge is still running, keep it in service as it regulates the temperature with thermocouples and draws no power at all when running on gas. If it is broken, it will be worth your trouble to diagnose it and fix it, even if it means replacing the cooling unit. Its a great boondocking fridge.

Regarding your demand water heater, I'm not sure why you need that unless you plan to take really long showers or have a lot of users. The standard six gallon heater, once up to temperature, stays plenty warm with just the pilot light burning. I've even heard of people setting the heater to Pilot once it is warmed up. Evidently if you go a while between heavy uses the water will have time to heat up by the pilot flame alone. I've never tried that though.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Others will run a defrost cycle which is noisy and the colder it is, the more often it will defrost.
Christopher
After years of using the heat pump as my main heat source in two Airstreams (we can do that here in Texas), I have to disagree that the defrost cycle is noisy. It is actually much quieter than the normal sound of the AC or heat pump since the internal blower is turned off during defrost. Most of the AC/heat pump noise is the internal fan, especially when running on high speed.

During defrost there is only a quiet hum. There is a very brief "chuff" sound when the solenoids switch back at the end of the defrost cycle, but it is not at all loud.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Thisisliving,

Congrats! Buying an Airstream in the PNW can be scary.... I know, we are in Bothell. ;-) Where did you find that badboy?

We are taking off in about a month for Austin, TX. Going the long way down 101/1... basically beach bummin' the whole way!

Keep us posted on the progress!

Leo

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Well guys its a total loss. Frame was rotted through. Floor was rotted as well. thanks agian for all the info. Maybe I'll have better on the luck next one.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Aw, so sorry. better luck next time.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Part it out if you can
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
am I the only one that believes that no airstream is a total loss? Chop off the bad part of the frame and weld a new section. Tons of info on that here. if the ribs on the shell are in good condition and not too much damage to exterior panels it is FAR from a total loss...heck...i'd take it if I were down there
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protohyp View Post
am I the only one that believes that no airstream is a total loss? Chop off the bad part of the frame and weld a new section. Tons of info on that here. if the ribs on the shell are in good condition and not too much damage to exterior panels it is FAR from a total loss...heck...i'd take it if I were down there
I agree. ... all a matter of time and resources... so you have them?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I second repairing the frame, especially if the body is in good shape. Even with the frame as-is I would think that someone could use it on a permanent site, where the floor could be discretely supported with blocks underneath.

As a last resort, parting it out could net some good money, over time. Some of the interior pieces are tough to find.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Dont we all? heck..we are AS owners...we make the time...
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
I just bought a '73 Excella E31T2J' "basket case" and it is my first Airstream.I haven't put my eyes on the frame yet and now I'm worried.Next Thursday I have to put 4 tires on it and tow it home 177 miles after it has been sitting for four years in a "moist" spot.I could be in for quite a nerve wracking experience.Wish me luck,Don
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Good luck on the towing. If it sat that long, I wouldn't trust the brakes or wheel bearings. Make sure you have a good hitch and lots of insurance.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Reconsidered

O.K. After taking a closer look, and becouse of all the great encouragement I'm going ahead. We added 1 1/2" angle iron to both sides of the channel and every other cross beam. Plastic coated the frame. Put on a new deck and put the shell back on. Its looking good so far. AND ITS ALL YOUR FALT !!! Thank's you guys are great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream 191.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	178631   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 210.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	178632  

Name:	airstream 415.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	178633  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Happy to Know That You Are Back in the Game!

Please reconsider:
1. On Demand Hot Water Heater: Not very good for boondocking. See this thread for my input on the topic:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ml#post1250124

2. No Propane: Propane is an extremely useful source of "compressed energy." It simply can't be beat for cooking and fueling the water heater when boondocking.

It's your Airstream. Design it to suit your needs. But if you intend to use it off the grid, propane is mighty handy; and as others have said, 10 batteries are mighty heavy.

Good luck and happy trails!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Yup I have reconsidered agian lol

I have reconsidered. I bought a propane hot water heater, two burner stove, microwave, but I also bought a electric 7.2cf fridge. If the fridge doesn't work I can change it later. It was only $350.00. I will install out side propane, hot and cold water, and a gray water hook up where the battery access is on the door side of the trailer. I have moved the batteries x2 and all the wiring stuff to behind the wheel well on the door side. Installed a outdoor shower next to the water heater The pervious owner had cut a hole for a generator that needed to be fixed anyways.
Now that I got the floor back on I want to move the toilet and have a rear bed. Anybody knoe where I can get a new black tank. Costom made?
ALSO if anybody has a idea ?? I took the plastic covers for the vistaview windows out. Airstream no longer sells anything that can cover this. I need something to replace them with. Used lower rings maybe if someone has 3 extra they want to sell? Foward and onward... Primer next Lowes paint recommends Rustoleum. I had some tinted becouse of the limited color selection. My trailer has a vinly covering over the aluminum that sould cover nicely. Will keep you posted thank's agian for all your input
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Axles Replacements?

I need new axles Im sure that after 40 years mine are no good and after reading about what can happend if they are no good. I 've dicided to just get new ones with new breaks. Any imput on this subject would be very helpfull. Thank's
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisliving View Post
I need new axles Im sure that after 40 years mine are no good and after reading about what can happend if they are no good. I 've dicided to just get new ones with new breaks. Any imput on this subject would be very helpfull. Thank's
I got new ones on my 74 sovereign. Very happy I did! You basically have 3 ordering options for the sovereign. .. area 63, inland rv, or colin hyde. I went with colin... cheapest option, and I was very happy!

Let me know if you need numbers.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
Machinist

1971 31' Sovereign
Yakima , Washington
Great pictures!!
Keep up the good work!

Mark
Blondin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisliving View Post
I too am at the "measuring stage" of my axle project on my almost-40 year old Overlander. In other words, getting ready to order them.

What I've found is reading the axle threads, of which there are many, is the first place to start - and as well, some of the complete overhaul and re-build threads - Zep's is one - that include replacing axles as part of the whole restoration process. One thing these last threads might help you with is deciding at what point in the re-build is best for you to make that switch from old to new (much less the decisions you will face - like 10" or 12" brakes, drum or disc, shock mounts on or off... and so on). Good luck!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote