Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Happy to Know That You Are Back in the Game!

Please reconsider:
1. On Demand Hot Water Heater: Not very good for boondocking. See this thread for my input on the topic:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ml#post1250124

2. No Propane: Propane is an extremely useful source of "compressed energy." It simply can't be beat for cooking and fueling the water heater when boondocking.

It's your Airstream. Design it to suit your needs. But if you intend to use it off the grid, propane is mighty handy; and as others have said, 10 batteries are mighty heavy.

Good luck and happy trails!

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Yup I have reconsidered agian lol

I have reconsidered. I bought a propane hot water heater, two burner stove, microwave, but I also bought a electric 7.2cf fridge. If the fridge doesn't work I can change it later. It was only $350.00. I will install out side propane, hot and cold water, and a gray water hook up where the battery access is on the door side of the trailer. I have moved the batteries x2 and all the wiring stuff to behind the wheel well on the door side. Installed a outdoor shower next to the water heater The pervious owner had cut a hole for a generator that needed to be fixed anyways.
Now that I got the floor back on I want to move the toilet and have a rear bed. Anybody knoe where I can get a new black tank. Costom made?
ALSO if anybody has a idea ?? I took the plastic covers for the vistaview windows out. Airstream no longer sells anything that can cover this. I need something to replace them with. Used lower rings maybe if someone has 3 extra they want to sell? Foward and onward... Primer next Lowes paint recommends Rustoleum. I had some tinted becouse of the limited color selection. My trailer has a vinly covering over the aluminum that sould cover nicely. Will keep you posted thank's agian for all your input

Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Axles Replacements?

I need new axles Im sure that after 40 years mine are no good and after reading about what can happend if they are no good. I 've dicided to just get new ones with new breaks. Any imput on this subject would be very helpfull. Thank's
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisliving View Post
I need new axles Im sure that after 40 years mine are no good and after reading about what can happend if they are no good. I 've dicided to just get new ones with new breaks. Any imput on this subject would be very helpfull. Thank's
I got new ones on my 74 sovereign. Very happy I did! You basically have 3 ordering options for the sovereign. .. area 63, inland rv, or colin hyde. I went with colin... cheapest option, and I was very happy!

Let me know if you need numbers.

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
Machinist

1971 31' Sovereign
Yakima , Washington
Great pictures!!
Keep up the good work!

Mark
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisliving View Post
I too am at the "measuring stage" of my axle project on my almost-40 year old Overlander. In other words, getting ready to order them.

What I've found is reading the axle threads, of which there are many, is the first place to start - and as well, some of the complete overhaul and re-build threads - Zep's is one - that include replacing axles as part of the whole restoration process. One thing these last threads might help you with is deciding at what point in the re-build is best for you to make that switch from old to new (much less the decisions you will face - like 10" or 12" brakes, drum or disc, shock mounts on or off... and so on). Good luck!