Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I've boon docked once...Would like to do it more,,but..

I have boon docked and would like some more info on finding a place locally. My son and I have actually boondocked on a place where we have hunted. But lets say I wanted to boon dock for the weekend. Are there places you just drive to and go off road and just stay there? I mean not like a state park boon dock, but Primitive areas that are not paved. Just natural places to go to the river/lakes edge or out in the middle of nowhere and just stay among nature. It seems most of the land is either privately owned or state or National Parks...Any help would be appreciated. I find this to be very hard thing to do. I understand Padre beach is one place , but to go 8 hours there in back in 2.5 to 3 days is more traveling than relaxing. BTW, I live in the Metromess...Dallas/Ft Worth Area.

Thank-you.
Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Shane,

Good boondocking sites are something you have to find yourself. You should be able to find something closer to the metroplex. Look for maps of public lands - National Forests & Grasslands in Texas - Maps & Brochures - as a starting point.

I'm not sure of the situation in Texas but my experience in other states is that there are also locally administered (county or town) public lands to be considered.

You might want to stay at a campground in an area of interest and then make some day trips to explore possible sites.

Another approach I have taken is to look for potential sites using a combination of maps and satellite images which are often enough to gauge whether a road is passable or there are turnarounds.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
West Texas is Rockdocking Country!

West Texas is boondocking country! There are plenty of Federal and State Parks and since you are looking... just go and you will get there sooner than you think. Just be prepared with provisions, water, propane and maps. Just pick an area you think could be interesting, hook up the trailer and see where you end up! We have camped in Texas only once, north of Amarillo to the Alibates Flint Quarry. Well... it was closed that time of year, it was hotter than a furnace and we kept heading west since then... end of story.

You will learn where you do not want to return a second time! You will find special spots that you want to return, and return in the future. You will branch out and discover one area has more camping options that could take a dozen trips to explore.

Trust me. If you think all of us have a plan before we get to some place... you are wrong. Stay above 3,000 feet elevation where the air is drier, so the heat and humidity do not ruin your experience for the family. When you hear the air popping against the window, you know you are getting there...
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote