Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We live in the country where washboard roads are common. Can not go anywhere without driving on them.
The washboard gets progressively worse because each time the drive axle tires drop into the valley, they slip just slightly. Digging the valley a little deeper and making the ridge a little higher. Unladen trucks are the worst culprits since they have very little traction to begin with.
Perhaps that's why A$'s are called "travel trailers" instead of "camping trailers". They are not tough enough to take on the back roads.
Does anyone know what happened to the A$'s that Wally took on the trip to Africa? And what condition they were in at the end?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We pull out trailer down desert washboard roads all the time. No paved roads to desert boon docking spots.

Trailer handles it just fine without damage. Just take your time.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Washboard roads are created by road graders to prevent water erosion on dirt roads. They create a continuous series of ruts that you bounce over.
ROFLMAO ...
Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Nothing "cool" about it, but sometimes worth it for what is at the end of the road.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
When we drove up thru British Columbia , and The Yukon Territory en route to Alaska on what was mostly the original road bed that was built by the Army , we encountered several groups of Wallys Airstream caravans that were traversing this extremely rocky , rutted , and washboard 1000 miles of of the Alcan Highway , and do not recall any of the dozens of Airstreams falling apart or having to be abandoned beside the road , " there were several other types that were abandoned in the ditch"
This was 45 years ago .
Old 06-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Magdalena , New Mexico
The road to Chaco Canyon in NW New Mexico is left in that condition to discourage vandalism and over use. Road repairs or paving always voted down. Sorry commentary over today's manners that easy access leads to damage and destruction. Worth the bumps for a wonderful place.
Charlene
Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Here in Mississippi washboard gravel roads are basically caused by cars going too fast.
Sometimes you can move left or right and get out of the washboard. Sometimes it is all the way across. It comes back quickly after the county grades the roads because people go too fast. I think 20-25 mph is plenty on a gravel, but these impatient rednecks want to go 45-50 mph, which is destroying the road and their automobiles, not to mention the dust flying. The dust is a lot less if you go slow, too.
When a car goes too fast on a gravel road, the suspension begins hopping. This hopping beats the heck out of the road surface.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
With all the places to see in the US why would you want to beat the crap out of your trailer. I wouldn't do it 100k and try to destroy it is not prudent in my way of thinking.

If you want to go off roading maybe a tent and an atv would be the ticket

enjoy your investment don't destroy it.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If I had to drive on wash board I would go extra slow. I have done this many times. I see some yuppie 4 wheel drive vehicles w/ large brush guards huge spot lites on roof, jacked up so need step ladder and lunch to get in other off road equipment, and the only place they get off road is in mall parking lots. Some AS owners are afraid to go off road, just takes some sense to take it easy and enjoy your trailer
Old 06-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
True off road 4wheelers know it is not about speed. It is about precision driving techniques. There are 4 wheel drive only cuts that I drive where the average speed is rarely if ever above 5 miles an hour. I have seen a few high bed horse trailers out that way but never anyone with the proper set up travel trailers to make the challenge. There are also a couple of fire tower/ponds where I boon dock. They are down gravel fire cut roads that are kept clear and grated by the NFS. Even then the run is slow and careful. Never can tell what is going to be around the next bend in the road. If I thought there was any danger to my trailer I would certainly not chance it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I hope everyone knows you are kidding.

Washboard dirt or gravel roads are created by the traffic over them and it is certainly NOT deliberately created by road graders. Here in North Idaho it is the bane of the Forest Service on heavily traveled gravel roads. They have to be re graded at great cost almost yearly so they can be driven over.

I read a detailed article once, years ago, on the specific mechanism which causes washboard roads, but it was a pretty complex subject when they actually studied how it happens.
Same thing happens in my 200 yard stone driveway. I have to rake it every couple weeks or it becomes filled with pot holes and such. I doubt I'd haul our 2014 23' International Serenity over a well rutted roadway unless under a few hundred meters at 5mph. They make off road trailers for such purposes and I'm sure are great fun. They are relatively light compared to the Airstream.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I have said this a few times before,, but will again.. For 1 we live in a area of NW Kansas that only has 1 stop light with over 900 square miles.. Our roads to our farm are better than in the past but still are by most standards,, pot holed and wash boarded..

I run LT radial tires with a high load rating but only inflate to around 28 lbs. Yes they have the natural radial tire squat,,, but have never ran hot at highway speeds..

When Radial tires first hit the market in the 1960s,, everyone would point or stop and tell you about your near flat tire.. Somehow with the EPA brain fart in the 1980s,, they came up with a whole new level of air pressure standards for fuel mileage and seldom does one see a radial tire with a healthy natural bulge at the road line.. (( Ok,,, I can get 0.27 better gas mpg at 80 psi than I can at 40 psi..)) But I cant stand to ride in my pu at that pressure.. !

They are made to flex,, and to give a little and depend on the steel belt to hold the tread square too the road..I feel let the tire assorbe 80% of the roads little ripples and stones and the trailer axles flex will handle the bigger bumps. But it does take that buzz and such away from the A$ so the rivets don't spin in there holes.

We do a lot of back trail roads in the high country of Colo.. and pulled 1000s of miles over roads that looked beyond safe for tires or trucks with no damage showing up to our Overlander.. When the dash starts jumping so is the trailer.. Just watch your speed..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
With all the places to see in the US why would you want to beat the crap out of your trailer. I wouldn't do it 100k and try to destroy it is not prudent in my way of thinking.

If you want to go off roading maybe a tent and an atv would be the ticket

enjoy your investment don't destroy it.
I guess it depends on how you enjoy your Airstream.

We enjoy ours out in the middle of the open desert. You'd be surprised how well an Airstream does on dirt roads or even off road. All you have to do is what Wally did on bad or no roads in Africa. Slow down.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
These aren't your grandfather's Airstreams. They are made of different materials and with more delicate systems.

That being said...we drove our 2005 Airstream Interstate with Flying Cloud systems and interior on washboard roads regularly without a hitch in the Airstream added systems. But...that was on a very heavy duty Mercedes 2500 van chassis. I guess I have doubts about the durability today's (2014-15) AS trailer chassis when subjected to the same conditions.