Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Cayce , South Carolina
is an generator wit an inverter necessary??

Good morning!!
I am new to this camping stuff and we need a generator to run the ac 13,500 btu. Thinking about a Champion 3500 watt generator but was wondering if we really needed the built in inverter. I will link to what I am looking at.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...att-generator/

The generator will not be used in camp grounds just at home. I think I can buy generator cheaper than having an electrician run a shore power package at my home.

Thanks
Sean
Buzz1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
If this is purely for use at home, don't forget about the time/effort of maintaining a small gas engine, cost of repair/replacement, etc when comparing it to the cost of getting a hardwired 30-amp receptacle installed. I don't know about where you live, but I live in a urban area and having a contractor generator running would make me very familiar with my neighbors, but not in the way I'd prefer.

The key differences between a contractor grade generator (like you linked) and an inverter generator are: quality of the A/C power, loudness, and efficiency. A contractor style generator has to run at full RPM in order to maintain voltage/cycles (~60Hz)...an inverter generator can change engine RPM with load, as it maintains the power cycle through a more intricate process. This is also why the power "quality" out of an inverter is better, they always put out a true-sinewave...while a conventional contractor generator's output varies if the engine stumbles or slows due to the load. Does the power quality matter? That depends on what you are powering, how much does it cost to replace the high tech digital control package, the ducted A/C in a 2019 International, or your TV?

Here is a comparison, obviously it may be a biased source as they want you to buy the inverter generator, but it doesn't make the overall information any less valid: http://yamahaef2000is.com/convention...generator.html
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Cayce , South Carolina
1961 outlander that appears to be converted to household electricity as there are no batteries. Thanks for the comment above.
Sean
Buzz1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Depending on how far it is from your nearest existing power outlet to where you would park the trailer, a 20-amp outlet in your house can run your A/C as long a you use a cord sized for 20-amps.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I had to laugh at this boast in the product description:

"From 23 feet, the noise level is 68 dBA, about as loud as a vacuum cleaner."

Good way to make your neighbors hate you! Given that you're only going to use this at home, I'd pay an electrician to install a 30 A outlet. Just make very sure he or she understands the difference between an RV-type 30 A outlet (120 V + 120 V) and a residential dryer/stove outlet (240 V). Installing the wrong type will lead to expensive damage to your rig.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I run my AC on a 20 amp receptacle from my garage with no problems.

Back on topic, I have one of those Champion 3500/4000 generators. I use it with my trailer in places where a louder generator is acceptable. I also use it for power outages. We recently lived 5 days on the Champion. I have had it 8 years and have had no issues.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Have a 30 amp plug installed, and invest in a quality surge protector, such as one made by Progressive Industries.
brick.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote