Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...while watching your trailer tires in your rearview mirror making sure they don't track into the ditch, sign, light pole, parked car, bush, tree...
That's the key-
Knowing where your trailer tires are-
And slow, easy, gentle-
If you see it won't clear you have an opportunity to adjust or correct and avoid an incident that would cause a bad day.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #62

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Besides, the 30' AS is not really 30'. Its about 28'. It's 30'11" to the ball hitch, which IMO doesn't count. But I don't make the measuring rules...
Well that is just about 3 feet and dependent on the situation that may be significant.

As others have noted the length may not be an issue in many campgrounds sites. What you sometimes have to consider is the width of the campground roads in turns. Also you have to consider sometimes is the space allotted for the tow vehicle and trailer. I've encountered some very tight back in's where the space for the trailer is adequate, but the maneuvering room on the road is compromised by those who park their tow vehicle perpendicular to the site which effectively minimizes your swing room as the tow vehicle turns during the back in to the site. Those are the toughest situations.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I have had a 30' Classic since 2007 and have decided to downsize to a 19' Bambi for that very reason. I live in California and usually can only camp on the weekends and holidays, so it is difficult to begin with but with the added length I find my self not being able to stay at my favorite State Parks. If you don't mind RV Parks or can camp during the week 30' is a wonderful size, but if you want to do State Parks on Weekends or Holidays it certainly takes patience.
2028 Ford Expedition
takeachance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
30'....just right?

As one who has had a 25', 27', then a 44' moho, I find the 30' Serenity about right. Or at least a decent compromise of space and length. The real reason I purchased the 30' model was the larger water tank. Makes boondocking easier, IMO.

As to backing up, it is like real estate when they say "location, location, location" but in backing up it is "slowly, slowly, slowly".

There is a concern with some small campgrounds and the tight corners, but this is in all cases I have been in, simply that one needs to understand how the truck/trailer tracks, then no problems should be encountered. My theory is to use all the available road to get around the corners in a campground, again, going slowly. Traffic in campgrounds generally understand the issues and are usually quite polite in allowing full use of the road as necessary.

So, while I did encounter some issues with my 44' moho, including repairing the side where I hit a guard rail sticking out into the road, so far I have not had these with the 30' Serenity, thank you Higher Power.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
There sure are a lot of parks along the coast in California with limits under 25'.
This would become a real factor if that is the area where you do your R V ing.

Those limits plus parks being all booked from months out make it a challenge to enjoy the area from an R V. Unless you are equipped properly and plan for it well in advance.

Sounds like you are moving the right direction for your area.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
As one who has had a 25', 27', then a 44' moho, I find the 30' Serenity about right. Or at least a decent compromise of space and length. The real reason I purchased the 30' model was the larger water tank. Makes boondocking easier, IMO.

As to backing up, it is like real estate when they say "location, location, location" but in backing up it is "slowly, slowly, slowly".

There is a concern with some small campgrounds and the tight corners, but this is in all cases I have been in, simply that one needs to understand how the truck/trailer tracks, then no problems should be encountered. My theory is to use all the available road to get around the corners in a campground, again, going slowly. Traffic in campgrounds generally understand the issues and are usually quite polite in allowing full use of the road as necessary.

So, while I did encounter some issues with my 44' moho, including repairing the side where I hit a guard rail sticking out into the road, so far I have not had these with the 30' Serenity, thank you Higher Power.
You have got the trailer towing basics down.
You understand how it works.
Cheat. Get all you can get when making turns.
Push-pull on the wheel to keep you in control and moving slow...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The main problem you will have with a longer trailer is finding a spot in a National Park. Not that you can't, but a lot of sites won't accommodate a longer trailer.

A important factor is maneuverability. Not as easy to find a place for a U turn, harder to get into some campsites, and harder to see what the back end of the trailer is doing (ask me how I know)

Don't overlook layout. I have a 25 footer and a 34 footer. Also had a bunch of other Airstreams. The 25 footer is laid out more conveniently than any of the trailers I have had.

If I am doing a multiple stop road trip I take the 25. If I am going to be in one place for a while I take the 34.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Length

Good point about CA parks especially along the coast. Many will not accept a trailer more than 27 feet and some limit it to 23 feet. But, these locations are very popular and hard to access without a reservation planned way ahead. When I had a tent trailer that would go anywhere I found that when you are limited to under 27 feet, the sites are very close together. I find I prefer a campground that accommodates up to 35 foot trailers because of sites with more space between you and other campers along with more privacy. After living with our Safari 28' for 10 years, we found we never go to campgrounds that we can't park a 31 foot Airstream. There are parks in British Columbia where back in can be tricky because of the layout. However, taking an extra few minutes will solve the problem with the longer trailer.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guess part of the answer is where you are geographically.
Living in Mississippi and camping from Texas east I have not found a campground that could not accommodate a 30' trailer.
Maybe we will make it to some national parks one day.
My boss went to some national parks in a 40' Tiffin Phaeton motorhome with a toad.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post

PERFECT solution! have two AS' love that idea ... weekender trips to parks with length limits take out the small unit. My 31' Land Yacht is like a palace inside compared to the smaller ones but kinda which I'd gone for a 28' model. Although not entirely sure how much of a difference that would really make when on the road for manoeuvring tight parks and gas stations etc. Still have my popup for parks like DL Bliss at Tahoe, with very short restrictions but love the idea of second trailer 20' or so for overnight weekend trips etc. I can park at home, can't imagine paying storage fees on two units ! The going rate where i live is $100/120.00 / month
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Good point about CA parks especially along the coast. Many will not accept a trailer more than 27 feet and some limit it to 23 feet. But, these locations are very popular and hard to access without a reservation planned way ahead. When I had a tent trailer that would go anywhere I found that when you are limited to under 27 feet, the sites are very close together. I find I prefer a campground that accommodates up to 35 foot trailers because of sites with more space between you and other campers along with more privacy. After living with our Safari 28' for 10 years, we found we never go to campgrounds that we can't park a 31 foot Airstream. There are parks in British Columbia where back in can be tricky because of the layout. However, taking an extra few minutes will solve the problem with the longer trailer.
Relatively new to having a trailer in Cali ... seems like I've researched and found quite a few coastal campgrounds ... even down in Big Sur, Plaskett Creek takes RV's and longer trailers .. several in Pismo ... in Santa Cruz, New Brighton is an amazing campground & Henry Cowell in the Redwoods, further north..is Coastanoa ($$$ & very cold / windy) but out of this world if a warm sunny day. But with so few campgrounds here, they are booked within minutes of the 6 month wondow opening. 10's of thousands of acres of open land between Santa Cruz and San Fran, but land use and permitting means virtually nothing can ever be built, not even a basic campsite.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
nope

we have a 34'. never had a problem. some sites will be small enough you cannot leave your TV attached but even that is rare.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:17 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
What we have found is that .... if your going to travel ... travel in style... 30 ft is a nice length. We found that its a better balanced trailer than the smaller 25 footers. If you check the hitch weight... you will see why we say that. In towing down the road... the 30 footer is much easier... and less suseptable to wind and trucks.. so we have found.

That being said we have always used the larger trailer 30 ft. As when we get their we usually stay for a week or two.. and the 30 ft gives you a nice glamping trailer with enough room inside for 4 people.

But... for travel from one place to the other and only camping for a day or so.. the smaller trailer is better suited... Most who use them only use 'em for a bedroom... eating and all is done in the dinner... so we have seen.

As to getting into places.. I have to agree... never had a problem with any of our trailers... and a lot of places are expanding their lengths to accmod the longer trailers as the 5th wheel group seems to be pushing 40 ft now. Most of the national parks don't tell you but, if you ask they always seem to be able to get the 30 ft trailer in. May have to park the TV somewhere else.. but then again... once you have arrived... do you need the TV till you are ready to leave?

I play more on comfort and storage... lord knows how the other half loves to take everything.. and the kitchen sink too... we won't talk about shoes... but if thats not enough wait till you get on the road.. and she sees that once their something that she just has to have... yep... extra storage space keeps peace in the trailer... Sometimes I think 30 ft is not long enough...
I wanted to start a new rule... you can take everything you can carry in one trip... ya that worked... My thinking was from the house to the trailer.. Her thinking is when we get back home... is the trip... LOLL
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
My new thinking is that instead of the PU for the TV... use a full size van. That way you have the best of both worlds... trailer for longer stays... van for weekend or road travel. I talked to someone who had that setup... and they had the same idea... and went that way...
They use the van for around town also... and as a TV they said it was just a little less power but then again when they are towing the 30 footer... they arn't in a hurry anyway...
Seemed to me to be a good idea... as well as you can boot the kids out of the trailer and stuff 'em in the van overnight... or ... leave the kids in the trailer and have peace and quiet in the van ... very adaptable...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Airstreams tend to grow on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Since I started in 1955 w/16ft. have had 17-19-22-26-30-now 31 have never had place I could not get into even when so called experts said no go, so go with what you are comfortable with towing & space needed.
Same experience: we started with a 22', then a 27', and now have a 30'.

Take your time and you will find that the " Goldilocks" sizing method works!
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #76
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When we bought our 31' in 2008 we were really looking for a 28 (we originally had a 25). We grew into the 31' very easily and loved it for almost 10 years. We bought the 30 after talking about it and decided that we couldn't figure out which feet to "give back", so did not size down.

We've never had any insurmountable problems camping. We consider Shenandoah to be our "home" park and we have camped in all of its campgrounds without a problem. The Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds are a little tougher, but I would not hesitate striking out on that journey again.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote