Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
If you're gonna boondock, when do you fill up your fresh water tank?

Newbie question #1 and 2

Do you fill it up at home before you take off or do you stop somewhere near your destination and fill up? If the latter, what places usually have potable water?
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If I am heading directly into the boonies, I will fill up at home. But if on the road and need to refill, I look for other camp grounds along the way or check sanidumps.com. However I have gotten water from BLM offices, ranger stations, gas stations, churches, cemeteries, city parks, municipal water departments, and RV parks. Some you have to ask and pay for, others you can offer a donation. Sometimes you have to call places and ask.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
When I boondock (which is my normal camping mode) I always try to arrive at a campground with a full water tank, and empty holding tanks. I always travel with a full water tank from the point I leave home. I watch for convenient places to get more water (and dump stations too) and top up wherever I can, because I never know where the next convenient place will be. As my new FC 20' only has a stupidly small 23 gal fresh water tank, I now often carry one or two 7 gal auxiliary water jugs and have a 12 volt pump to transfer water from them into the main tank if necessary.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We often leave home in cold weather to head south. If the forecast for the next few days doesn't include a deep freeze I will often put 10-15 gallons in the fresh water tank. When I get far enough south I will put more in and usually fill it up. That will cover me for any stops we may make along the way. The rest of the time I usually fill it up or put at least half a tank before leaving home. I'm careful to not pump the water through the plumbing system until I'm south of freezing weather. Don't ask how I know this one.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I do the same as Idroba with a bit of polarlyse thrown in as well. Full water and empty holding. Also full propane. I sometimes carry RV anti-freeze as well. You never know when you may be delayed for whatever reason. Best to be a good Boy Scout. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
...most of our camping is boondocking (in our 25 EB) or unimproved CG ... fill before we leave ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We always try to have at least a half tank of fresh water on board "just in case." I'll dump and refill periodically to make sure it is fresh. I'll also flush some diluted Clorox through the system periodically to make sure nothing is growing in there. We drink the water in our tank so we have to be careful.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I always leave home full water tank empty black & grey. I do not use water out of tank for any thing but washing & sanitary. I use only use bottled water for all other uses as AS is 38 yrs. old well water rust etc. in tank even tho I sanitize every year.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Fill Up Before

We always fill up the water tank and empty the gray water tank before we leave for our next boon-docking destination.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If you have a sensitive tummy, carrying your OWN water you are accustomed to consuming. Montezuma travels all over the place... no reason to share in the 'trots' while trying to have a good trip.

Also, having a full water tank can and does improve stability of your AS by placing the 'weight' down by the axles.. which lowers the CG... carrying loose bottles inside the trailer is more difficult...

So, for us, the last year, we have used our 'onboard' fresh water... we have a sink mounted filter for drinking..

We also have connected to 'Park' water when at an RV park.. we have inline filter... and change the hose annually... like right now...

To determine your 'water consumption', try driveway camping for a weekend.. start with full fresh tank... see how long you can 'manage' with onboard water... cook meals, clean up, etc... then, don't use the 'onboard gauge' to determine how much water you used. Take the time to pour a gallon at a time into the fresh tank till full.

Now you KNOW how much you 'need' to carry...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We leave home with full water tanks.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just one other thing to think about is whether you need a jerry can of water or two plus a big funnel for water refills at your boondocking site. We fill up the water tank before "dry" desert camping trips with no on-site water, and then usually top it up once or twice from the jerry can/s. A few smaller (3-5 gallon) containers work better than one hugie: they're easier to lift, and if one leaks, you haven't lost so much of your supplementary water supply.

Then, to avoid over-filling the grey water tank, we often use plastic tubs for dish washing, showering, &c, so we can dump the soapy water outside somewhere.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Simi Valley , California
I keep the water tank and lines filled with a bleach dilution until we are ready to leave. I then flush it out and fill the tank. The tank is always filled using a high-quality filter (which we use when hooked up to city water as well). Since we use the tank water for drinking I am installing a UV filter under the sink.
Also I carry 50 gal of water in my truck and hand pump it over (with the filter in-line of course) to the trailer tank when needed.
Shelly M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We fill up before leaving home for two reasons.
1.We use our restroom when traveling and water is needed to flush or shower.
2. My Airstream handles and rides better with a full tank of water and it was designed to run down the road with a full tank.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
I fill up at home to :-)
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Newbie question #1 and 2

Do you fill it up at home before you take off or do you stop somewhere near your destination and fill up?
I typically fill the freshwater tank at the end of each trip, before leaving the trailer in storage. If we're staying in a campsite that has water, I'll usually fill it before we break camp, otherwise I fill it at my house.

For a true boondocking trip where there is no water on site at all, I bring 15 gallons of additional water in Moller Scepter water jugs, which I fill at my house.

Quote:
If the latter, what places usually have potable water?
The situation varies regionally and is a matter of scouting and luck more than anything (which is why we don't depend on finding any). Sometimes we've asked permission at campgrounds. Sometimes we've filled up at parks, although some discourage that or make it difficult to connect a hose, either because they don't have much water or as a matter of policy to try and discourage greywater dumping.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I like to fill up our Avion before we leave the house. That way, we have plenty (65 gal.) of known "good" water for awhile. Like others, we bring separate drinking/cooking water. Otherwise, we have a filter on the fill line . We start out with empty grey/black tanks, and I like to dump those ASAP.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Full water, empty holding, allows you to take advantage of the beautiful little surprises that pop up from time to time as you wander around. Some of our best memories have been created due to this flexibility and given the ambiguities of life, one must catch these opportunities when they present themselves. Plus, if I am going to drag this thing around, I had better be able to use the head. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We fill up at home. Primarily because we think our water from home taste better then the waters at the sites. On a side note most of the time we drink bottle water when camping even if we fill our tank at home.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We only fill our tank before leaving when we have questionable water sources at our destination park. I know one state park in question that we visit each year. That park has a lot of sedimentation in their water. Even in brining my own filters, I could clog that filter within 21 gallons or so. In this case I fill before I leave, which gives me 60 gallons in the trailer. In addition I carry 3, 7 gallon water cans inside my vehicle as a supplement.

I typically travel with about 3-5 gallons of water in the fresh water tank just to take care of flushing or hand washing purposes in case we want to pull over and use our own bathroom facilities.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote