thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Newbie question #1 and 2

Do you fill it up at home before you take off or do you stop somewhere near your destination and fill up?
I typically fill the freshwater tank at the end of each trip, before leaving the trailer in storage. If we're staying in a campsite that has water, I'll usually fill it before we break camp, otherwise I fill it at my house.

For a true boondocking trip where there is no water on site at all, I bring 15 gallons of additional water in Moller Scepter water jugs, which I fill at my house.

If the latter, what places usually have potable water?
The situation varies regionally and is a matter of scouting and luck more than anything (which is why we don't depend on finding any). Sometimes we've asked permission at campgrounds. Sometimes we've filled up at parks, although some discourage that or make it difficult to connect a hose, either because they don't have much water or as a matter of policy to try and discourage greywater dumping.

To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I like to fill up our Avion before we leave the house. That way, we have plenty (65 gal.) of known "good" water for awhile. Like others, we bring separate drinking/cooking water. Otherwise, we have a filter on the fill line . We start out with empty grey/black tanks, and I like to dump those ASAP.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #18
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Full water, empty holding, allows you to take advantage of the beautiful little surprises that pop up from time to time as you wander around. Some of our best memories have been created due to this flexibility and given the ambiguities of life, one must catch these opportunities when they present themselves. Plus, if I am going to drag this thing around, I had better be able to use the head. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We fill up at home. Primarily because we think our water from home taste better then the waters at the sites. On a side note most of the time we drink bottle water when camping even if we fill our tank at home.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We only fill our tank before leaving when we have questionable water sources at our destination park. I know one state park in question that we visit each year. That park has a lot of sedimentation in their water. Even in brining my own filters, I could clog that filter within 21 gallons or so. In this case I fill before I leave, which gives me 60 gallons in the trailer. In addition I carry 3, 7 gallon water cans inside my vehicle as a supplement.

I typically travel with about 3-5 gallons of water in the fresh water tank just to take care of flushing or hand washing purposes in case we want to pull over and use our own bathroom facilities.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Everyone develops a Water Plan for their own Needs

Lots of good options to consider.

-If you are running dry you are not towing the extra weight.

-If you are driving in freezing temperatures, be careful about having water in your hot/cold lines as they will freeze up before your full or sloshing partially full fresh water tank will freeze up. Your water pump will also freeze up, so be careful when turning it ON, if you do not get an immediate response that the water lines are not frozen.

-I find that most City/Town water has chlorine that I can taste. It also keeps mildew from forming in your water lines, tank and pump. Once you leave a city water supply, the water may be directly from an underground well pumping directly into your tank/containers.

We are on well water at the house and absolutely cold and no tastes... BUT, try to avoid filling the fresh water tank, when I know where from previous trips to areas that good fresh water is available.

-We use BLM and Forest Service water without any problem. If well water, it will taste much better than your bottled water! (This is in the Rocky Mountain region.)

-Midwest well water can have sulfides that stink like rotten eggs, even with chlorine added... barely good enough for coffee. Strong coffee, I must add. Sweet Springs, Missouri water is an excellent example!

-Many truck stops have fresh water. No charge. Also dump stations. No charge.

-jcanavera does close to what we do with enough water to use while on the road. Maybe six to eight gallons as while you are moving the water is sloshing around and it lets air into your water lines, if you had forced the air out of them with the fitting on your trailer.

-From our last 1000 mile trip with our 25 footer, having a partially full or full fresh water tank had less of a "drag" to our gasoline mileage than the wind direction we were driving. A head wind of 25 miles per hour will affect your mileage more than the weight of your fresh water.

-I tend to top out the fresh water tank, fill any 6 gallon water containers just before going off the into the area we will be Boondocking. Empty 6 gallon water jugs weigh very little, but do take up space... so depending on how remote and how long we plan to camp will determine all of the variable details.

-No one answer will fit everyone's needs. Driving from one RV Park to another... travel water light. Driving through some parts of Nevada... think about being prepared for anything.
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Especially in dry areas you cannot carry too much water. If you don't needi it someone else might. I'm talking about desert areas or CG wayout. Pease,jim
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Water is 8 pounds to the gallon. 30 gallons (my tank) is 240 pounds. If that is going to make a significant difference then I am overloaded. Black tank empty goes without saying. Blue boy is in the pickup box. also MT.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #24
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Right, water into the fresh water tank must go somewhere. (Airstream law of physics.) After one regrettable black water overflow into the loo, we bought a "blue boy" aka biffy box for emergencies. Thankfully we've never had to use it, but we take it as a kind of insurance policy.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote