Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
I think before me putting it in blocked the airflow and thus the burps
This will work, but I believe you have a vent tube that is kinked or blocked. On my 2009 Classic I am able to get the water hose to hold onto the spout hands-free while air exits the vent tube.

WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - I still need to see if it's blocked for sure

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
How to fill the FW tank--can't get cap off?

Total newbies, we are. Can not get the cap off the FW tank. I do not even know where the other tank is or how to fill/empty it.
Any suggestions on how to approach this cap? I have tried all manner of penetrating oils to no avail. I'll make a spanner to fit the pin holes but I wonder how much pressure to apply.
Thanks,

Jim and Paula Wolfe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	210171  
wolffullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Jim,
Take Pliers with the jaws spread open and in the 2 cavities of the plug. Twist the pliers handles in CCW direction and that should twist the plug out. For more leverage, a bigger pair of channel locks pliers in the plug and twisting with the handles should remove this plug.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Just be careful not to slip off with your pliers and gouge the skin.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
FW tank--CAP STUCK

I have tried to the point of almost damage and the cap will not budge. I have heated the surrounding skin with a heat gun and put all the different penetrating lubricants I can think of into the gap.

The old owner said he had tried everything too. We really need to have this thing available for a couple of upcoming trips out of the range of water hookups.

Is there a hex socket which would fit this? Probably not according to the limited clearance.

All advice is really appreciated as we haven't eventaken the trailer out yet.

Jim & Paula Wolfe
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffullmoon View Post
I have tried to the point of almost damage and the cap will not budge. I have heated the surrounding skin with a heat gun and put all the different penetrating lubricants I can think of into the gap.

The old owner said he had tried everything too. We really need to have this thing available for a couple of upcoming trips out of the range of water hookups.

Is there a hex socket which would fit this? Probably not according to the limited clearance.

All advice is really appreciated as we haven't eventaken the trailer out yet.

Jim & Paula Wolfe
Jim.

Try using a wrench that has one end open and the other end closed.

Then you can insert a long shaft or a lug wrench into the closed end. That will give you much more leverage.

On the other hand, sooner or later that fill neck will have to be replaced as it was a part of the pressurized water system.

An update would be using a 30 gallon plastic tank, that was used in the mid 60's models, along with a water pump instead of an air compressor. The only extra part would be a couple of check valves. Of course the fill spout would have to be changed to a much later type.

Many owners have made that conversion.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I could be wrong but it looks like a 55 gallon drum bung. If it is there is a special wrench to remove it. Good luck. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Looks a little like a water main valve for turning off the water to a house. They have wrenches designed to fit a horizontal strip like that with a large T bar at the top for turning stubborn valves.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jim.

Try using a wrench that has one end open and the other end closed.

Then you can insert a long shaft or a lug wrench into the closed end. That will give you much more leverage.

On the other hand, sooner or later that fill neck will have to be replaced as it was a part of the pressurized water system.

An update would be using a 30 gallon plastic tank, that was used in the mid 60's models, along with a water pump instead of an air compressor. The only extra part would be a couple of check valves. Of course the fill spout would have to be changed to a much later type.

Many owners have made that conversion.

Andy
I think this trailer has a pump rather than an air compressor. I'm just not looking forward to installing a new water tank and all the mess that entails. I will have to have it done as I have no place to do the work nor the experience.
Thanks for the advice. I'm still going to try to get the damned thing loose. We can't figure how it got so stuck. It is SS, I'm pretty sure.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Jim,
Take Pliers with the jaws spread open and in the 2 cavities of the plug. Twist the pliers handles in CCW direction and that should twist the plug out. For more leverage, a bigger pair of channel locks pliers in the plug and twisting with the handles should remove this plug.
Dan
Thanks for the advice but that did not work. I even made a spanner with hard steel pins and they bent!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Buy an impact socket with an OD slightly smaller than the ID of the filler neck. Use an abrasive cut off wheel on a grinder or Dremel to slot the socket to fit the plug.

If you can't turn it with that, I doubt you'll have any option other than replacing it. Stainless threads have a tendency to gall. If that is the issue, you may be able to chase the threads if you can get it out.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
as a final update to this thread...I bought one of those clear hose fill attachments with an on/off valve - it fits into the FW fill opening and I fill the entire tank with no problems...so the problem was (I think) just that I was trying to fill it too fast and was blocking the vent or something. Not sure how long this plastic attachment will hold up, but probably for a while if I am careful...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #42
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
as a final update to this thread...I bought one of those clear hose fill attachments with an on/off valve - it fits into the FW fill opening and I fill the entire tank with no problems...so the problem was (I think) just that I was trying to fill it too fast and was blocking the vent or something. Not sure how long this plastic attachment will hold up, but probably for a while if I am careful...
My plastic valve-equipped tank filler tube, is more than 15 years old and has outlasted two trailers and working on a third.

(outlasted in the sense that I sold the first two trailers)

Ken

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote