Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
insearchoffun

Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
Yes, the manual says 54 gallon FW capacity, but I think it is more like 50 gallon. I carefully filled a 6 gallon water jug to accurately measure the capacity when I sanitized the fresh water system this spring. Using a short hose section (about 10" long) attached to the jug, I used 8 full jugs plus 2 one-gallon jugs to completely fill the tank.

I believe the 1/4" hole next to the fill hole is for overflow, which I suppose would also work as a vent.

I used this opportunity to "calibrate" the Micropulse monitor, checking the reading after each jug was poured into the FW tank. Also went through the process of calibrating the gray and black water tanks; noting the readouts along the way.

Otherwise, I stuff the hose (similar to SStar's) in the inlet and let it run a slow steady stream to fill the tank. Water comes out the overfill when it is full. And yes, you should be able to find access to see the plastic tank from inside to verify the level, but it might be difficult. My tank is in the closet under the floor where the pump is mounted.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Excellent advice - I'll be fiddling with it this weekend!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by exallen View Post
Yes, the manual says 54 gallon FW capacity, but I think it is more like 50 gallon. I carefully filled a 6 gallon water jug to accurately measure the capacity when I sanitized the fresh water system this spring. Using a short hose section (about 10" long) attached to the jug, I used 8 full jugs plus 2 one-gallon jugs to completely fill the tank.

I believe the 1/4" hole next to the fill hole is for overflow, which I suppose would also work as a vent.

I used this opportunity to "calibrate" the Micropulse monitor, checking the reading after each jug was poured into the FW tank. Also went through the process of calibrating the gray and black water tanks; noting the readouts along the way.

Otherwise, I stuff the hose (similar to SStar's) in the inlet and let it run a slow steady stream to fill the tank. Water comes out the overfill when it is full. And yes, you should be able to find access to see the plastic tank from inside to verify the level, but it might be difficult. My tank is in the closet under the floor where the pump is mounted.
Actually, the complete water capacity is about 54 to 55 gallons, if you include the water heater.

In a "have to" situation, that water is safe to use for drinking as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There have been a number of fill designs over the years.

Late model trailers do have a screened vent adjacent to the fill cap. It is small and finely screened, and will not relieve the air quickly enough for filling from a full-size hose.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Jammer - I think assuming it is not blocked that this would not surprise me at all

Also - if it reads as 54 gallon - it should mean 54 gallons for the tank itself...that would be logical anyway

Old 04-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello PharmGeek:

Andy said that the freshwater tank has no special vent!

I only know how my vintage airstream works. When I camp without hookups I use a funnel to add fresh water from a bucket etc. If I pour the water in too fast the air burps out and splashes all over me. I do not have a vent sufficient to resolve this problem. A very slow pour is the only way for me.

However, the tank must be venting someway or the water pump couldn't pump the water without air getting in to fill the space left by the exiting water.

When hooked to city water I open a valve in my trailer and remove the exterior fill cap. When the tank is full the water comes out the fill tube and I know I have a full tank of water.

Works for me. I'm sure your new rig is technically far more advanced than mine and should be far more user friendly.

Enjoy the life!
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
Hello PharmGeek:

Andy said that the freshwater tank has no special vent!

I only know how my vintage airstream works. When I camp without hookups I use a funnel to add fresh water from a bucket etc. If I pour the water in too fast the air burps out and splashes all over me. I do not have a vent sufficient to resolve this problem. A very slow pour is the only way for me.

However, the tank must be venting someway or the water pump couldn't pump the water without air getting in to fill the space left by the exiting water.

When hooked to city water I open a valve in my trailer and remove the exterior fill cap. When the tank is full the water comes out the fill tube and I know I have a full tank of water.

Works for me. I'm sure your new rig is technically far more advanced than mine and should be far more user friendly.

Enjoy the life!
Look at the backside of the fill spout cap.

It has 2 grooves on the inside threads.

That's the vent when the cap is one.

That's the same as the cap we have made.

Andy
Old 04-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just filled it today - I found that even on near full blast if I kept about 3 inches of distance it seemed to keep good flow without my previous issue

I think before me putting it in blocked the airflow and thus the burps

So far so good

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
I think before me putting it in blocked the airflow and thus the burps
This will work, but I believe you have a vent tube that is kinked or blocked. On my 2009 Classic I am able to get the water hose to hold onto the spout hands-free while air exits the vent tube.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - I still need to see if it's blocked for sure

Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
How to fill the FW tank--can't get cap off?

Total newbies, we are. Can not get the cap off the FW tank. I do not even know where the other tank is or how to fill/empty it.
Any suggestions on how to approach this cap? I have tried all manner of penetrating oils to no avail. I'll make a spanner to fit the pin holes but I wonder how much pressure to apply.
Thanks,

Jim and Paula Wolfe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	210171  
wolffullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Jim,
Take Pliers with the jaws spread open and in the 2 cavities of the plug. Twist the pliers handles in CCW direction and that should twist the plug out. For more leverage, a bigger pair of channel locks pliers in the plug and twisting with the handles should remove this plug.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Just be careful not to slip off with your pliers and gouge the skin.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
FW tank--CAP STUCK

I have tried to the point of almost damage and the cap will not budge. I have heated the surrounding skin with a heat gun and put all the different penetrating lubricants I can think of into the gap.

The old owner said he had tried everything too. We really need to have this thing available for a couple of upcoming trips out of the range of water hookups.

Is there a hex socket which would fit this? Probably not according to the limited clearance.

All advice is really appreciated as we haven't eventaken the trailer out yet.

Jim & Paula Wolfe
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffullmoon View Post
I have tried to the point of almost damage and the cap will not budge. I have heated the surrounding skin with a heat gun and put all the different penetrating lubricants I can think of into the gap.

The old owner said he had tried everything too. We really need to have this thing available for a couple of upcoming trips out of the range of water hookups.

Is there a hex socket which would fit this? Probably not according to the limited clearance.

All advice is really appreciated as we haven't eventaken the trailer out yet.

Jim & Paula Wolfe
Jim.

Try using a wrench that has one end open and the other end closed.

Then you can insert a long shaft or a lug wrench into the closed end. That will give you much more leverage.

On the other hand, sooner or later that fill neck will have to be replaced as it was a part of the pressurized water system.

An update would be using a 30 gallon plastic tank, that was used in the mid 60's models, along with a water pump instead of an air compressor. The only extra part would be a couple of check valves. Of course the fill spout would have to be changed to a much later type.

Many owners have made that conversion.

Andy
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I could be wrong but it looks like a 55 gallon drum bung. If it is there is a special wrench to remove it. Good luck. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Looks a little like a water main valve for turning off the water to a house. They have wrenches designed to fit a horizontal strip like that with a large T bar at the top for turning stubborn valves.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jim.

Try using a wrench that has one end open and the other end closed.

Then you can insert a long shaft or a lug wrench into the closed end. That will give you much more leverage.

On the other hand, sooner or later that fill neck will have to be replaced as it was a part of the pressurized water system.

An update would be using a 30 gallon plastic tank, that was used in the mid 60's models, along with a water pump instead of an air compressor. The only extra part would be a couple of check valves. Of course the fill spout would have to be changed to a much later type.

Many owners have made that conversion.

Andy
I think this trailer has a pump rather than an air compressor. I'm just not looking forward to installing a new water tank and all the mess that entails. I will have to have it done as I have no place to do the work nor the experience.
Thanks for the advice. I'm still going to try to get the damned thing loose. We can't figure how it got so stuck. It is SS, I'm pretty sure.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Enumclaw , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Jim,
Take Pliers with the jaws spread open and in the 2 cavities of the plug. Twist the pliers handles in CCW direction and that should twist the plug out. For more leverage, a bigger pair of channel locks pliers in the plug and twisting with the handles should remove this plug.
Dan
Thanks for the advice but that did not work. I even made a spanner with hard steel pins and they bent!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Buy an impact socket with an OD slightly smaller than the ID of the filler neck. Use an abrasive cut off wheel on a grinder or Dremel to slot the socket to fit the plug.

If you can't turn it with that, I doubt you'll have any option other than replacing it. Stainless threads have a tendency to gall. If that is the issue, you may be able to chase the threads if you can get it out.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote