Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
I made a filling device similar to some of those above, but finally got tired of having to put up with the burp and wait routine.

I decided to add a tee and a valve into the cold water line down stream of the pump and tee'd that into my tank outlet. Now I hook the hose to the city water inlet, remove the filler cap, and open the valve. When water runs out the filler cap, I know the tank is full. The biggest advantage is that now I can do something other than hold the hose while the tank is filling.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
Make you one of these simple filler attachments. Screw it onto the hose you are filling with, the cut off piece of hose extends down into the filler neck, you control the flow with the valve, or cut it off completely when needed.

Or buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40003-Wa.../dp/B0006IX850

Water Tank Filler with Shut-Off Valve - Camco 40003 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

They don't cost much and work fine.
Ken

Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Nice - I can I has it?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
It's already been said but I reckon your vent is blocked. I fill using a homemade version of the filler thingy above and I can hear the vent giving up air, especially when I have the water on full blast. A little bit of investigative work is due I think

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I use the little device posted by Ag&Au. I have used one of these for about 30 years now and they work just fine. I slide it into the filler neck and turn on the water to a slow flow. The pressure of the hose on the ground keeps the filler in the opening. I can then move away to do something else while the tank fills.

I enjoy reading about all the engineering "fixes" out there for a problem that really doesn't exist. At least it doesn't exist in the cases where the vents and filler necks are not damaged or malfunctioning. Cutting a T into the water lines sounds like a nice idea but far too much work for me since the filler hose system works just fine.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Nice - I can I has it?
I had to think for a minute, but if I got it, it's really funny.
I thinks I can did got it.

Daisy

The smaller tube diameter and its length has the added benefit of allowing more air (and water when it reaches full) to escape back up the fill tube if necessary. With a larger diameter hose stuck in the filler it is possible to damage the tank with excessive pressure. I read about that happening somewhere here on Airforums. ( I'm pretty sure I didn't just make it up.)

Ken
Old 04-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
insearchoffun

2012 30' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
Yes, the manual says 54 gallon FW capacity, but I think it is more like 50 gallon. I carefully filled a 6 gallon water jug to accurately measure the capacity when I sanitized the fresh water system this spring. Using a short hose section (about 10" long) attached to the jug, I used 8 full jugs plus 2 one-gallon jugs to completely fill the tank.

I believe the 1/4" hole next to the fill hole is for overflow, which I suppose would also work as a vent.

I used this opportunity to "calibrate" the Micropulse monitor, checking the reading after each jug was poured into the FW tank. Also went through the process of calibrating the gray and black water tanks; noting the readouts along the way.

Otherwise, I stuff the hose (similar to SStar's) in the inlet and let it run a slow steady stream to fill the tank. Water comes out the overfill when it is full. And yes, you should be able to find access to see the plastic tank from inside to verify the level, but it might be difficult. My tank is in the closet under the floor where the pump is mounted.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Excellent advice - I'll be fiddling with it this weekend!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by exallen View Post
Yes, the manual says 54 gallon FW capacity, but I think it is more like 50 gallon. I carefully filled a 6 gallon water jug to accurately measure the capacity when I sanitized the fresh water system this spring. Using a short hose section (about 10" long) attached to the jug, I used 8 full jugs plus 2 one-gallon jugs to completely fill the tank.

I believe the 1/4" hole next to the fill hole is for overflow, which I suppose would also work as a vent.

I used this opportunity to "calibrate" the Micropulse monitor, checking the reading after each jug was poured into the FW tank. Also went through the process of calibrating the gray and black water tanks; noting the readouts along the way.

Otherwise, I stuff the hose (similar to SStar's) in the inlet and let it run a slow steady stream to fill the tank. Water comes out the overfill when it is full. And yes, you should be able to find access to see the plastic tank from inside to verify the level, but it might be difficult. My tank is in the closet under the floor where the pump is mounted.
Actually, the complete water capacity is about 54 to 55 gallons, if you include the water heater.

In a "have to" situation, that water is safe to use for drinking as well.

Andy
Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There have been a number of fill designs over the years.

Late model trailers do have a screened vent adjacent to the fill cap. It is small and finely screened, and will not relieve the air quickly enough for filling from a full-size hose.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Jammer - I think assuming it is not blocked that this would not surprise me at all

Also - if it reads as 54 gallon - it should mean 54 gallons for the tank itself...that would be logical anyway

Old 04-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello PharmGeek:

Andy said that the freshwater tank has no special vent!

I only know how my vintage airstream works. When I camp without hookups I use a funnel to add fresh water from a bucket etc. If I pour the water in too fast the air burps out and splashes all over me. I do not have a vent sufficient to resolve this problem. A very slow pour is the only way for me.

However, the tank must be venting someway or the water pump couldn't pump the water without air getting in to fill the space left by the exiting water.

When hooked to city water I open a valve in my trailer and remove the exterior fill cap. When the tank is full the water comes out the fill tube and I know I have a full tank of water.

Works for me. I'm sure your new rig is technically far more advanced than mine and should be far more user friendly.

Enjoy the life!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
Hello PharmGeek:

Andy said that the freshwater tank has no special vent!

I only know how my vintage airstream works. When I camp without hookups I use a funnel to add fresh water from a bucket etc. If I pour the water in too fast the air burps out and splashes all over me. I do not have a vent sufficient to resolve this problem. A very slow pour is the only way for me.

However, the tank must be venting someway or the water pump couldn't pump the water without air getting in to fill the space left by the exiting water.

When hooked to city water I open a valve in my trailer and remove the exterior fill cap. When the tank is full the water comes out the fill tube and I know I have a full tank of water.

Works for me. I'm sure your new rig is technically far more advanced than mine and should be far more user friendly.

Enjoy the life!
Look at the backside of the fill spout cap.

It has 2 grooves on the inside threads.

That's the vent when the cap is one.

That's the same as the cap we have made.

Andy
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just filled it today - I found that even on near full blast if I kept about 3 inches of distance it seemed to keep good flow without my previous issue

I think before me putting it in blocked the airflow and thus the burps

So far so good