Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
How long to run the generator?

how long to run generator to keep batteries full...using electr for lights ,pump,sometimes fridge to save propane ,etc ..one hour a day ????or more,or less???thanks for info .m.
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
how long to run generator to keep batteries full...using electr for lights ,pump,sometimes fridge to save propane ,etc ..one hour a day ????or more,or less???thanks for info .m.
Your question, while a good one, has no real answer.

The answer is a direct function, of how much of the battery supply did you use?

You might consider purchasing a battery tester, and check the battery/batteries every morning.

That would tell you, ball park, how far down the battery system was discharged. Then relate that to what you did with the lights etc, the night before.

That would at least give you some idea of how long to run the generator.

Also, keep in mind that the charging rate from the "UNIVOLT" varies, depending on the charge condition of the battery system.

As the battery condition is being restored, the Univolt will back off the charging rate, slowly but surely.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You will need to run the generator until the batteries are fully charged. There is no exact time for doing this, it all depends on how low the batteries are, how many amps are going to the batteries, the condition of the batterties, temperature, and many other factors.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This question is an answer to some other question. I'm not trying to be coy. This, among other questions gives justification to having a good battery monitoring system installed. I chose the TriMetric 2025rv. When the gennie is running and the monitor says 100%....I'm done. Sometimes that's an hour....sometimes 4 hours.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This question is an answer to some other question. I'm not trying to be coy, this, among other questions gives justification to having a good battery monitoring system installed. I chose the TriMetric 2025. When the gennie is running and the monitor says 100%....I'm done. Sometimes that's an hour....sometimes 4 hours.
I was also wondering (considering this purchase this calendar year). And so this is a serviceable answer, thanks.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
thanks....i will check it out as i use lights etc...so maybe its better to keep the fridge on propane...use a lot of candles,a reading lamp with batteries...the monitor over the stove works well and tells me half full or 1/4 etc...it will be a new experiance.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I've installed a 2500 Onan Microlight (running off propane) in my AS. It only takes 20-30 minutes to charge my batteries. But then, we don't use much battery power.

Since we normally don't boondocks around others, we can recharge the batteries in the mid morning, when my wife wants to blow-dry her hair, that way I get both jobs done at once (a happy wife is a happy life).....
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
i will keep you posted as to how it works out for me and my airstr.
where i am going for a while in fl,there is water but no electr.and running the generator at tmes will not disturb anyone.For me,its a first,having always had water and plug in...everyone's input is very helpful ..thanks.M
Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

AS'ers LOVE gizmo's,(I too), so go out and buy the most expensive one you can't afford and do what your Rice Krispies tell you to.

I charge 'til they get soggy and not audible, about an hour every morning during breakfast.

If your using Korn Flakes your results may vary.

Bob