Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We can do about 10 days. Since nearly all of our camping is boondocking in the desert we use a few tricks to keep water usage down.

We keep dish washing down by using paper plates and most of our food does not require inside cooking or pot/pan washing. Lots of sandwiches, snacks and hot dogs, steaks etc. over the campfire. (Started with paper plates.)

Quick out door showers save grey water tank space too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #42
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Five days is about it for the fresh water. If I'm in a state or national park and I don't have any hookups I've found my issue is generally filling the gray tank....as I have a 5 gallon water container and a transfer pump, so refilling the water tank isn't a big deal. Dumping, though, is more work...rehitch, go to the dump station, etc. So, I tend to conserve more for the gray than anything else..
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #43
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
I concur with 5 gal a day per person and 5 gal per shower. I have found if you use (and make "others" use) the outside shower it can be a lot less!!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #44
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Water in teh back woods

I concur with 5 gal a day per person and 5 gal per shower. I have found if you use (and make "others" use) the outside shower it can be a lot less!!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #45
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Really have found this thread useful....I have a new metric when I invite people to go with me. 5 gal per day. Sounds about right.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #46
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We enjoy camping on federal lands, especially in the desert, where boondocking is the norm. Some CGs do not have drinking water or dump stations. We think our longest boondock in one site was 5 nights.

The 16' Bambi has a much smaller freshwater and waste water tank (black and gray combined) than the big guys have, so we really have to conserve water.

We usually carry a jerry can or two of water and a big funnel for dry-campground refills.

I don't know how much water we consume per day, but we have developed the following strategies:

1. Use public restrooms if available, at least during the day.

2. Pack lots of beer to save on your drinking water.

3. We don't use disposable dishes when we are set up, but we carry a pack of those Lysol or clorox wipes, and wipe the dishes with them for a pre-rinse cycle. Then we have a brush for washing/scrubbing, so you only need soapy water in a small dish or a cup to wash everything. If outside weather permits, rinse dishes in a plastic tub outside, and dump it where feasible.

4. Less frequent showers-- hey, we're camping! In the Canadian Rockies, you can also shower at one of the wonderful hot springs. But with the Bambi wet bath, we put one plastic wash tub on the toilet seat and stand in the second one, so little water gets wasted. Agree: turn on the hot water first. Hose down, turn off the water, soap up, grab a cup (previously) for rinsing down with the saved water, then do a final hose-down from the shower. This soapy water may have a second use (like Jeanne goes first, then Len takes a sponge bath), but dump it outside.

5. We have tried a no-flush toilet system. It works well from a water-saving perspective, but not so good on the convenience scale. We bought some sturdy garbage bags large enough to fit in the (dry) toilet bowl while covering the rim. We put some peat moss in it (kept handy in a big zip-lock bag.) After each use, sprinkle on a little more peat moss. When your sensitivities say it's full, close the bag and discretely place it in the campground dumpster.

6. Use baby-wipes and hand-sanitizer for routine hand-washing.

Also, we just bought one of the blue portable waste tanks for waste tank emergencies. Which we did have, once.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
I don't know how much water we consume per day, but we have developed the following strategies:

2. Pack lots of beer to save on your drinking water.
Smart. VERY smart!