Old 03-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, great idea, but two wouldn't fit in our shower.
Naw ... two will ALWAYS fit in your shower. But you have to be REAL friendly!

Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
saving water

i see i am a bit late to the party here but here goes..

We routinely capture water when waiting for warm to arrive in shower. I have a 2 gal plastic watering bucket with handle we use for this.. I can say with my water heater about 28 ft by the piping it can fill up in a couple days..

that is a lot of water most homes dump down the drain. While we do not have a camper now, We try to conserve stuff as a general rule. I think all my normal activities will be helpful when we get a RV and do some boon-docking.

I had a idea about capturing rain water to use for such stuff like dish-washing, flushing, and showering unfortunately you only have 3 tanks to use.

I do like the idea on camper had with the 15 gal tank with pump. that might be a cool thing. you can rinse it out when needing FW for the tank..

good ideas for sure.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Did 10 days at Quartzsite Az. last winter on one tank using the shower and washing dishes. Real short showers though. 7 days in Oscer Shear Fl. but we did use the campground showers.

We routinely go out on weekends with less that a 1/4 tank and don't hookup. I can't understand my friends that have to have sewer for a 2 or 3 day weekend. They won't even come if there is not a sewer hookup

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
With a full tank easy to last a week, do carry gallon jug for each days drinking supply, home water is well with reverse osmosis, carbon filter system.

Always travel with at least 1/3 of tank, first mark on sensor, enough to cover on road use, and first night someplace.
If we are only staying a couple of days I will fill tank at cg and check level before we leave cg. Only hookup hose to supply instead of tank when we stay more than three days. Something to do with trusting pipes and knowing disaster can be averted by not hooking up. Also travel with the water pump switch off.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have never discovered how long it will last. We are always in campgrounds with city water. I have never used the "self contained" features ofmthemcamper.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
.........Also travel with the water pump switch off.
I found out the hard way....also a good idea to turn off the WP when you go beddy-bye.
Hope springs eternal...pipes spring once in awhile. Even on new AS's...fitting cross threaded.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Every time I see the title of this thread, I think about how long do I have to hold my water. Important question for old guys.

But, one small way to save a little water is to turn on the shower to full hot position when starting it so you are not draining as much cold water. The hot water comes a little faster that way. This may only save a few pints, but it helps.

Gene
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We're not serious boondockers but we did go 4 days last year in Glacier NP. A quick shower and a wash basin in the sink to use wash water to flush with helps to save on fresh water. We usually carry a few gallons for making ice and drinking.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Water usage is very individual and situational. My good wife will never manage to take a navy shower, and a happy wife makes for a happy camper. The important thing is to figure out an easy way to replenish your water - I use 7 gal transfer jugs and installed a 12v transfer pump. The grey tank will fill. The black tank will suffice for a LONG time. This is a matter of regulation, opinion and judgement, but with environmently friendly soaps and minimal cooking oils, the grey water can be responsibly discharged in certain environments. A nylon sock (cut off from ladies hose) over the end of the discharge hose will filter the grey water fairly well. Recently at a State Park in AZ, we were requested to discharge our grey water to the campsite trees, even though there was a dump station.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Every time I see the title of this thread, I think about how long do I have to hold my water. Important question for old guys.

But, one small way to save a little water is to turn on the shower to full hot position when starting it so you are not draining as much cold water. The hot water comes a little faster that way. This may only save a few pints, but it helps.

Gene
Use the first water on lower extremities and not waste it
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I struggled with water conservation but think I've got the hang of it now. Replaced my shower head with an Oxygenics and that made a huge difference, coupled with doing the navy shower thing.

I'd rather wash dishes than create a bunch of trash (that has to be put somewhere), so I changed my technique for that. I fill the sink about a third for the washing and use a basin to hold the washed/soapy dishes. Then rinse them all at once instead of individually . Before I was rinsing each individually which uses alot of water.

For more than a weekend trip, I'd just carry a few 7 gallon jugs and a 12v transfer pump.

For drinking and cooking, I always carry bottles of water and not drink from the tank.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
My lot are toilet fiends, never of the cursed thing, so most of our on-board water seems to go down there or in the shower. We have developed quick shower techniques and dish washing water economies but with a family of four we can only go about three nights, even with me using the campground showers. Mind you, we're glampers really and never rough it like some of you do, so we've never really had an issue with water.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We can do about 10 days. Since nearly all of our camping is boondocking in the desert we use a few tricks to keep water usage down.

We keep dish washing down by using paper plates and most of our food does not require inside cooking or pot/pan washing. Lots of sandwiches, snacks and hot dogs, steaks etc. over the campfire. (Started with paper plates.)

Quick out door showers save grey water tank space too.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #42
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Five days is about it for the fresh water. If I'm in a state or national park and I don't have any hookups I've found my issue is generally filling the gray tank....as I have a 5 gallon water container and a transfer pump, so refilling the water tank isn't a big deal. Dumping, though, is more work...rehitch, go to the dump station, etc. So, I tend to conserve more for the gray than anything else..

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote