Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St Albert , Alberta
Pick the county where you'd like to buy.
Go to the county office and purchase their section map. It shows roads, waterways, and an overlay grid of all the sections and quarter sections, and may also show within a section "box" the name of the landowner.

Next, look on the map for quarters or sections where a river, lake or road "cuts off" a small part of that quarter. It's likely that the farmer can't be bothered to cross the river or road, or go around the lake, to work that small plot of land.

With your section map and a regular road map in hand, drive out and check out these potential parcels. If you see one you like, approach the farmer named in that part of the grid or, if there is no name, go to the nearest/likeliest farmhouse. Chances are the owner will be surprised that anyone would want that "worthless" (to him) piece of land, and you'll be able to pick it up relatively cheaply. Plus no realtor's fee because you found the land yourself.

I used this method and found 4 1/2 acres nestled in a pretty valley, with the Blindman River running along two sides of the property. Selling price was $1000 per acre, but this was some time ago. Keep in mind I live up in Alberta - buying land may be different in Texas or the US.

Also, before you buy check out the land use reg's for that particular county.

Good hunting!

Will

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Open Road View Post
Pick the county where you'd like to buy.
Go to the county office and purchase their section map. It shows roads, waterways, and an overlay grid of all the sections and quarter sections, and may also show within a section "box" the name of the landowner.
Rural real estate folks call that a "Plat Map." A lot of plat maps are available on the Internet for download— depending on how computer-savy the local government is— but not usually for free download.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Interesting idea. In California (for example) everything is zoned for particular use. In much of the rural land, a zone for farming or agriculture or grazing might have restrictions on parcel size like "40 acres minimum." People with large parcels would have to sub-divide it to break off a piece for you. I have no idea how possible this might be, but it would be a bit involved for sure.

Nice to hear that there are places where such a simple idea works!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St Albert , Alberta
If a portion of a quarter section / section is cut off from the main parcel by a road, river, etc. it's considered not profitably or practically productive, and can be sold "as is". Usually there is no problem getting such a parcel re-zoned to something such as 'rural residential'. At least that's how I did it here in Canada.

Basically I was looking for a piece of land that was not for sale, and was thus able to get it for less money.

Will
Old 08-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
James Rudd nailed the answer on this one!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
This is my plan, too. I'm in northern New Mexico working on a ranch with my Airstream, dogs, horses, etc. One day, I will buy a piece of fenced property with a little house on it and live in my Airstream. It's a good plan.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I worked on survey crews in the US. Every county is completely different here. In the county were I live a person could get shot approaching a farmer or rancher wanting to buy a piece of the place.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Reason being that land speculators came in here and preyed on the old Spanish ranchers telling them how much they loved their place and they wanted to build their home there. Then they would build a gigantic, out of place house and immediately put it on the market for a couple million dollars - and return to wherever they came from. When the cows and elk tore down the unmaintained fence and tore up the bushes and crapped on the porch, the ranchers were harassed by lawsuits. New Mexico is a fence out state for this very reason. Now it almost always needs to be a family member before the county will issue a permit for anything. Once in a while you can find a little house for sale by a family member. Just to explain a little. In less remote places, like around Santa Fe on cattle ranches, no permit is issued even to family members to build unless they can run sometimes miles of underground utilities to hook into county sewer and water. Nobody can afford that so the kids just leave and give up on ranching.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There are parts of the country, like say, Florida, where things like parking an RV on a vacant lot, and camping there or maybe even living there are "prohibited" or "frowned upon". But..................
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Looking for land in woodlands Texas to lease or buy where we can put airstream on and live.

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdvasquez View Post
Looking for land in woodlands Texas to lease or buy where we can put airstream on and live.
Do you mean somewhere in Texas on a forested lot? Or do you mean in The Woodlands, TX? 'cause if you plan to live in an RV in The Woodlands I think your neighbors will have a conniption. If you want to buy a few acres with trees in an unincorporated place and live in an Airstream, I think your biggest challenge in Texas will be not roasting in the summer. As long as you're not in a development or in city limits or certain other areas like a MUD, it's not likely that you'd have any deed restrictions against living in an Airstream.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I think the best solution would be an Airstream Park in Texas, Tennessee or wherever. It would be economical and safe. Down the road, if you found a better solution you could always sell the lot in the Airstream Park.

Dan
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I think the best solution would be an Airstream Park in Texas, Tennessee or wherever. It would be economical and safe. Down the road, if you found a better solution you could always sell the lot in the Airstream Park.

Dan
Is there an AS park in Texas???
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Is there an AS park in Texas???
Yup. Two of them. See post #11.