Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

2002 22' International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hooking up Solar Panel

I have had my 2002 22' International AS since new and just got around to investigating Solar Panel hook up. I found the inside cables in the radio cabinet above the sink, but can't seem to locate the other end that sould come out on the roof somewhere. Does anyone have an idea where they are located? Someone told me that they go up through the refrigerator vent, but the International is vented out the side, and no cable. Can't find any mention in the manual, and have not yet called Airstream.

Great trailer in most ways, but it freezes up in the winter when boondocking.

Jurgen Amtmann
Jurgena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Smile Solar panel hook-up

RAN INTO HE SAME CONCERN LAST SEASON. COULD NOT LOCATE THE HARNESS THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LOCATED UNDER THE KITCHEN SINK CABNET. I ENDED UP BUYING A SPARE FEMALE TRAILER CONNECTOR AND USING A FLEXABLE 10W PANEL DRAPED OVER AND SECURED TO THE FRONT WINDOW COVER. AN EXTRA 20W PANEL CAN BE ADDED THRU A CHARGE CONTROLLER. BEEN WORKING GREAT SO FAR THIS SEASON. HAVE ALSO USED THE 12V POWER PORTS TO CONNECT THE PANELS<><><>BOB
Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I installed a solar panel on my 2002 22' CCD and found the wiring located near the front fantastic fan vent. I removed the trim for the fantastic fan (from the inside) and found the wires there as described in the AS owner's manual. I forget what colors they were, but the manual should tell you. If you're having trouble let me know and I'll check my manual for you. But, as I recall, I removed the trim, looked around a bit, and found the wires pretty easily.
I then drilled a hole in the side of the Fantastic Fan frame, above the roofline, and fed the wires from my solar panel trough there, then crimped and soldered the connections with the wires inside the CCD. I thoroughly caulked the hole and have had no troubles for the three years I've had the panel mounted.

W.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Solar Wiring

We looked there and in the radio compartment> took the rig to the dealer and got on the phone with Airstream Tech. Assist. All we could determine is the wiring was not where it is supposed to be. Hey the solution works fine for a portable system you can roll up and pack away <>Bob