Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I use my trailer for three purposes.

1. Extra bedroom at our family's homestead cabin in the high desert. Plugged into any outlet for basic power. Sometimes have to run the generator for air conditioner if the cabin's electrical load is too large.

2. Non-hookup forest service campsites in the forest. Trailer holds enough food and water for a week. Use the generator to recharge the batteries when needed. Probably my favorite use of the trailer.

3. RV parks. Usually when touring cities and more developed areas. Take off in tow vehicle and sightsee. An example would be Betebel RV park in San Juan Bautista (toured Santa Cruz, San Juan, etc.).

All can be very nice vacations.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
This is all great reading as I contemplate adding gray and black tanks to my 55 Flying Cloud. I think I'll add them so I have the opportunity to boondock. My brother swears I'll love it. I also love the idea of adding solar panels and being self sufficient for several days at a time.
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We like the trees and nature! If we can stay in a place that has hook ups and private spaces and offer the trees, nature and fire pits.... yippie! But, we also like to boondock, but usually for us that means "no hookups" and stay in a National Forest Service campground or similar. We did stay in a WalMart once.... too noisy and uninteresting for our style. (The noise was the parking lot sweeper truck at 3:00 a.m.) But, if we had to choose between one of those spendy RV places that are asphalt parking lots with hook ups, I'd save the $ and go back to a WalMart.... but as was pointed out earlier, it is a good thing we all don't like the same venue or we would all be much too crowded!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Our vast experience - ie, 4 trips to date. We have had hook-ups each time. Only the first trip was w/o sewer. From our early camping days, a million years ago, we had a tent and no hook ups of any kind. So we are making progress. We do plan on spending time touring our wonderful country and will do both with and without hookups. Guess we will see and report as we have more trips logged.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We much prefer boondocking...but find a lot of times we end up at campgrounds with friends. Enjoy both...but we use our trailer more like a "tent" than a "hotel room" either way.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #26

2000 31' Excella
Sayville , New York
We boondocked 35 years before we knew what boondocking was!
ZIGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We're desert rats who live on the western edge of the Mojave desert. Our trips are usually to the Mojave or Sonoran deserts. The majority of our camping is within eyesight of the middle of nowhere. We love off the map boondocking.

Although we camp in State Parks with our WBCCI Unit the FCU and in full hook up parks with the California Streamers our favorite place to be is still miles down some dirt road in the desert.

Airstreams to surprisingly well off road.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
From Boondocking to five star RV parks

From Boondocking to five star RV parks, it seems we've tried it all and find Airstreams are wonderful and adaptable for most any environment. This past week, due to a mistake in reserving a 'water/electric' site in a Virginia State Park, we were forced to Boondock. No electrical or generators, no water and no sewer.....NO PROBLEM. We'd experimented in my sister's drive in Florida one Winter and knew we could hold out for three days with no hookups so were certain we could do it at this high elevation, deep in the forest with the temps only in the low seventies for highs. Indeed, we were so pleased and comfortable. We cooked, took showers, conserved our water in the onboard tank we had filled on the way in to our site and generally enjoyed our stay for three nights. Sunday we had enough power left in the two batteries to retract the slideout, raise the stabilizers and the tongue and get hooked up and out. It turned out we had water for toilet use on the way home. I doubt seriously we'd made it for four nights; however, Airstream provides us all with one heck of a trailer! We are so happy to have made the leap from an SOB to Airstream.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #29
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We went right from a tent into our first Airstream and never looked back. BUT, we still like the state parks and national parks for quite camping. Boondocking is a way of life for us and we enjoy it. We just spent this past weekend boondocking with seven other Airstreams in the backyard of a friends for their sons wedding! Of course in the very early spring and then early winter we do need hookups to survive the cold temps but by then there is rarely anyone else camping.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia