Old 06-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #15

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Tick-Dock

Interesting, DW and I were discussing this very subject last time out.

It occurred to us that in five Seasons with "Cloudsplitter" the only thing

wev'e been "hooked" too is each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS STUFF 006.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	83063  

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Interesting, DW and I were discussing this very subject last time out.

It occurred to us that in five Seasons with "Cloudsplitter" the only thing

wev'e been "hooked" too is each other.
Well put.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We prefer to get away from it all and avoid private parks. We are pretty good at stretching our resources. Being self-contained offers us more freedom to relax in more quiet, beautiful sites. It seems that no services means more peace and quiet. Our camping friends, on the other hand, have admitted to being hooked on hook-ups.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I camped in Oregon state parks, They had electric and water hook ups, (to my surprise) Didn't mind having them and they were nice camp grounds...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
We go both ways, but it depends on where we're going. If it's the larger surrounding area we're interested in, then hookups are great. Here I have in mind places like Grand Canyon, Zion, etc. But if we're basically planning to stay put near the rig, then immediate scenery is more important that hookups. Rallies are critters all to themselves, however.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hook up OR Not Hook up while camping

You can count me among those who avoid boon docking or dry camping if at all possible. Between ten years of camping using a cabin tent and the years of the WBCCI International Rally when only 3 AMP electrical service was available, I have had my fill of RVing without adequate utilities. My location in the humid Midwest region probably helps to form my preference as I can only take limited exposure to humidity and heat combined -- air conditioning is an absolute requirement for me when traveling East of the Rocky Mountains -- I still work and my time off is mandated by my work schedule that runs from mid-August through late-May so traveling in the "off" season is not yet an option. As a Free Wheeler, boondocking just adds too many additional chores that make camping more of a pain than a pleasure. I also find that I meet a number of interesting people in the campgrounds and RV parks where I stay.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I use my trailer for three purposes.

1. Extra bedroom at our family's homestead cabin in the high desert. Plugged into any outlet for basic power. Sometimes have to run the generator for air conditioner if the cabin's electrical load is too large.

2. Non-hookup forest service campsites in the forest. Trailer holds enough food and water for a week. Use the generator to recharge the batteries when needed. Probably my favorite use of the trailer.

3. RV parks. Usually when touring cities and more developed areas. Take off in tow vehicle and sightsee. An example would be Betebel RV park in San Juan Bautista (toured Santa Cruz, San Juan, etc.).

All can be very nice vacations.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
This is all great reading as I contemplate adding gray and black tanks to my 55 Flying Cloud. I think I'll add them so I have the opportunity to boondock. My brother swears I'll love it. I also love the idea of adding solar panels and being self sufficient for several days at a time.
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We like the trees and nature! If we can stay in a place that has hook ups and private spaces and offer the trees, nature and fire pits.... yippie! But, we also like to boondock, but usually for us that means "no hookups" and stay in a National Forest Service campground or similar. We did stay in a WalMart once.... too noisy and uninteresting for our style. (The noise was the parking lot sweeper truck at 3:00 a.m.) But, if we had to choose between one of those spendy RV places that are asphalt parking lots with hook ups, I'd save the $ and go back to a WalMart.... but as was pointed out earlier, it is a good thing we all don't like the same venue or we would all be much too crowded!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs:
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Our vast experience - ie, 4 trips to date. We have had hook-ups each time. Only the first trip was w/o sewer. From our early camping days, a million years ago, we had a tent and no hook ups of any kind. So we are making progress. We do plan on spending time touring our wonderful country and will do both with and without hookups. Guess we will see and report as we have more trips logged.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We much prefer boondocking...but find a lot of times we end up at campgrounds with friends. Enjoy both...but we use our trailer more like a "tent" than a "hotel room" either way.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #26
2000 31' Excella
Sayville , New York
We boondocked 35 years before we knew what boondocking was!
ZIGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We're desert rats who live on the western edge of the Mojave desert. Our trips are usually to the Mojave or Sonoran deserts. The majority of our camping is within eyesight of the middle of nowhere. We love off the map boondocking.

Although we camp in State Parks with our WBCCI Unit the FCU and in full hook up parks with the California Streamers our favorite place to be is still miles down some dirt road in the desert.

Airstreams to surprisingly well off road.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
From Boondocking to five star RV parks

From Boondocking to five star RV parks, it seems we've tried it all and find Airstreams are wonderful and adaptable for most any environment. This past week, due to a mistake in reserving a 'water/electric' site in a Virginia State Park, we were forced to Boondock. No electrical or generators, no water and no sewer.....NO PROBLEM. We'd experimented in my sister's drive in Florida one Winter and knew we could hold out for three days with no hookups so were certain we could do it at this high elevation, deep in the forest with the temps only in the low seventies for highs. Indeed, we were so pleased and comfortable. We cooked, took showers, conserved our water in the onboard tank we had filled on the way in to our site and generally enjoyed our stay for three nights. Sunday we had enough power left in the two batteries to retract the slideout, raise the stabilizers and the tongue and get hooked up and out. It turned out we had water for toilet use on the way home. I doubt seriously we'd made it for four nights; however, Airstream provides us all with one heck of a trailer! We are so happy to have made the leap from an SOB to Airstream.

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote