Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #43
TetonStreamer
 
Teton Stream's Avatar
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Wilson , Wyoming
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 72
The problem, I believe, is that Jim does not presently make a mount for the larger models. Couple that with the fact that would probably be a space issue for mounting the larger unit on the A Frame.
__________________

__________________
Teton Streamer - in The Toaster
Wilson, WY 83014
Teton Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #44
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member
 
widgetwizard's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton Stream View Post
The problem, I believe, is that Jim does not presently make a mount for the larger models. Couple that with the fact that would probably be a space issue for mounting the larger unit on the A Frame.
We actually do make mounts for the Honda EU3000iS and soon for the Honda 3000i-Handi (the one on wheels) and the Yamaha 2400
But these generators are naturally bigger than a EU2000i

Jim
__________________

widgetwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #45
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,436
Blog Entries: 49
If you combine this mod with a new converter (e.g. Progressive Dynamics 4655), then you should be able to charge your batteries relatively quickly via the A/C power input to your trailer. Just manually switch the converter into bulk mode after starting the generator, plugging in 30/15 amp adapter and attaching the power cord. Otherwise, with the stock Parallax 7355 converter I suspect you'd have to run the generator for quite a few hours to get a decent charge on your batteries.

With our 2014 27FB we're also fortunate enough to have a secondary power socket in the front, right where we'd want to connect up to a generator. Many other models in recent years may have the same feature. I have to plead ignorance on what others may have that feature.

We've thus far installed the new converter and mounted a 150 watt solar panel to recharge the batteries, though the panel doesn't work so well when we're camped in deep old-growth woods. So, at some point we might break down and grab a Honda 1K or 2K unit to help recharge the batteries via the new converter.

If we go for the Honda 2K, this locking plate will start looking pretty attractive as it also seems to provide a handy place to store the generator for transport. Thanks!
__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Alpharetta , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
We have been looking for help on a generator decision, and this group looks like the right place for a newbie to post this question. We have a 20-foot Safari, live in Atlanta, and would like a generator to start and run our air conditioner when dry camping. Which is the better choice? The Honda 3000 or a pair of Honda 2000s? What should we be considering, other than getting the cool air blowing in July/August? Of example, lighter weight 2000 being the better option for cooler weekends in Fall and Spring when AC may not be needed? Thanks all.


Jane Air
__________________
janeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member
 
arktos55343's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 457
Depends on your back strength. A 3000 is a bigger brick to be lugging in and out of your TV, unless it is going to live there. I have the 2000i and Companion. One of them is easy to move around for general usage...and then less of a hassle to add the Companion to the mix, if I need it for the a/c.

There is also a new mount I saw here on the Forum, that lets you securely mount the 2000 or Companion on the tongue behind the propane tanks. It locks down and is tamper'proof'.

Oh....duh..... see above......
__________________
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #48
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeair View Post
We have been looking for help on a generator decision, and this group looks like the right place for a newbie to post this question. We have a 20-foot Safari, live in Atlanta, and would like a generator to start and run our air conditioner when dry camping. Which is the better choice? The Honda 3000 or a pair of Honda 2000s? What should we be considering, other than getting the cool air blowing in July/August? Of example, lighter weight 2000 being the better option for cooler weekends in Fall and Spring when AC may not be needed? Thanks all.


Jane Air
We started with a Honda 1000; then a 2000 ...then added a 2000 companion. Since we generally leave the generators in the bed of the truck, we traded in one of the 2000 and got the electric start Honda 3000. A factor influencing our decision on the electric start Honda EU3000 is that it is almost as quiet at full output as the Honda 2000 was at idle. Check the specs for sound output ... it is remarkable!
We still have one of the EU2000s...thinking that it would be good to keep for those times when we didn't want to have to deal with the mass of the 3000; however, that has not happened and the 2000 just sits in the corner of the garage and the 3000 in the bed of the truck.
__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #49
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member
 
widgetwizard's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 26
Someone asked a few pages back if we made the LowPro LockDowns for the bigger generators.
Well here is the current list

Honda EU2000i
Honda EU3000iS
Honda EU3000 Handi (lightweight 3000)
Yamaha EF2400iS
Champion 73536i (2000 watt)

Nice picture of the lineup here: Generator security mount systems

Jim
widgetwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #50
Rivet Master
 
tsunami's Avatar
 
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 840
Images: 20
Additional Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton Stream View Post
Here is the installation complete. The one Con is you have to unbolt the baseplate to get to the battery box. You can access Choke, On/Off Switch and Pull Chord while it is mounted without removing anything. I cover it with the Honda cover while traveling.
Would like to see a couple photos from the opposite side, if possible. Is the mount located more to the street side of the AS for side control access? My biggest concern is vibration causing the generator to rub against the AS. Any issue with rubbing? Nice looking install.
__________________
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #51
TetonStreamer
 
Teton Stream's Avatar
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Wilson , Wyoming
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 72
Do not have any other pictures on hand. The generator is mounted center over the battery box. It does not contact either the gas bottle housing nor the trailer. No vibration. You do need to wrap your fingers around the On/Off valve and I would suggest putting a ring or washer around the pull cord hole on the plastic casement. You are pulling the start cord at a 90 degree angle to the unit.
__________________
Teton Streamer - in The Toaster
Wilson, WY 83014
Teton Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #52
TetonStreamer
 
Teton Stream's Avatar
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Wilson , Wyoming
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
If you combine this mod with a new converter (e.g. Progressive Dynamics 4655), then you should be able to charge your batteries relatively quickly via the A/C power input to your trailer. Just manually switch the converter into bulk mode after starting the generator, plugging in 30/15 amp adapter and attaching the power cord. Otherwise, with the stock Parallax 7355 converter I suspect you'd have to run the generator for quite a few hours to get a decent charge on your batteries.

With our 2014 27FB we're also fortunate enough to have a secondary power socket in the front, right where we'd want to connect up to a generator. Many other models in recent years may have the same feature. I have to plead ignorance on what others may have that feature.

We've thus far installed the new converter and mounted a 150 watt solar panel to recharge the batteries, though the panel doesn't work so well when we're camped in deep old-growth woods. So, at some point we might break down and grab a Honda 1K or 2K unit to help recharge the batteries via the new converter.

If we go for the Honda 2K, this locking plate will start looking pretty attractive as it also seems to provide a handy place to store the generator for transport. Thanks!
Where is the "manual switch" in the converter? I have a 2013 20' Bambi which I think has the Progressive.
__________________
Teton Streamer - in The Toaster
Wilson, WY 83014
Teton Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #53
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Do the benefits of mounting like this offset the potential issues from road debris and water working its way in to the generator? Would a security handle added to the gen and cabled to the frame or wheel be an alternative?
__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
Mounting the lockable "LOCKDOWN" base on top of the battery box could be problematic for battery access. Only the 1,000 or 2,000 watt Honda generators would fit into the space between the front of the trailer and the propane tanks as the 3,000 is too wide.

Reading the specifications, two 2000 Honda generator sets will produce more power (continuous 3,200 watts) when connected together than a single 3000is rated 2,800 watts continuous or a single 3000i rated 2,600 watts continuous power. Plus, the 2000 each are a more manageable 46.3 pounds (dry weight) a piece while the 3000i weighs in at 78 pounds (dry weight) and the 3000is weighs 134 pounds (dry weight).
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portable Generator Sound Levels: One Honda EU2000i vs. Two Paralleled Honda EU2000i AndyPenny Generators & Solar Power 19 06-05-2017 04:04 PM
Honda Generator EU2000i Theft Deterrent Bracket z8 hm Generators & Solar Power 1 02-17-2012 05:47 PM
Honda EU2000i Generator Pricing Jan.2005 markparker22 Generators & Solar Power 12 11-23-2005 07:49 AM
Honda EU2000i generator dhe9 Generators & Solar Power 4 04-12-2005 07:33 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.