Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Help me set my expectations/ road conditions

Hello all!

Help me set my expectations on what road conditions you can reasonably expect to navigate with a new 19CB Caravel.

What is the ugliest road you can navigate regularly without destroying a fine trailer? Hard surface, of course. Gravel? Dirt? Washboard gravel? Potholed dirt? FS roads? Logging roads? Probably not skid trails.

Currently camp out of a Jeep Wrangler TJ and realize that the Suburban / trailer combination won't go where the Jeep goes. That's a no brainer. Looking for guidance on what the lower limit on road "quality" is.

Details and examples would be very helpful.
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best
Drive slowly and safely

The rest is just details.

The best road might be dirt - the worst a paved road like a roller coaster.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hurricane damaged forest road - no problem / no issues (including the water in the road).

20% (maybe ) grade dirt road somewhere in rural Michigan - no problem / no issues

I-75 along most of it's length - no problem / no issues

Various washed out dirt roads in Montana and Wyoming - no problem / no issues

Winding no-shoulder / no guardrail / narrow / CLIFF !!! road in the mountains of Wyoming - yes a problem, the problem was the "fine person" passing the traffic in the other lane and occupying our lane around the blind curve (and the solid yellow stripes on the road). We indeed survived that one, still not quite sure how

Bottom line - idiots on the road are a *much* bigger issue than the road it's self. The Airstream will take just about anything you would ever want to drive over. Idiots front ending you .... no solution for that one.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Check this out:

They can handle a lot more than you would expect...at least the vintage ones!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Gotcha!

So, as long as I use good judgement and aren't "that guy" I should be reasonably fine.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSE View Post
Gotcha!

So, as long as I use good judgement and aren't "that guy" I should be reasonably fine.

Thanks for the replies!
Hi

With any vehicle (truck, car, RV) there will be an angle of arrival and an angle of departure that can get you in trouble. There are indeed railroad crossings that a standard long bed pickup will bottom out on.... Watch out for that sort of stuff.

Bob
Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Gotcha!

. . .
Bingo!

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Whoo-hoo! This is gonna rock our world... When everyone else is tenting or living out of a tent trailer, we're going to be rocking an Airstream!

We do a lot of Jeep'n. Moab, Johnson Valley (King of the Hammers), Brown's Camp, Elk and Badger Lakes, and a hundred other places with no name and almost equal reputations. Putting the little Caravel behind the support vehicle is going to make these places a lot more comfortable. Won't help with the Rubicon, but then the Suburban won't go up that trail either. Colorado here we come!

A big thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Very helpful and informative. Now to check out tires and lift kits...
Old 10-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
The AS can go just about anywhere - the worse condition we experienced last summer was 16km of ungraded logging road which took us over an hour to travel - just go slow and avoid the potholes that would cause the AS to bottom out. It helps to "duck tape" the sliding overheads so they don't slide open (ask me how I know) - ASs are not as fragile as some would lead you to believe - never-the-less common sense Eh! Also, if you are a boondocker make sure you have some form of Rock Tamers Rock guards on your TV - the SS rock guards on the AS well be beat to death if you don't use them.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best
Drive slowly and safely

The rest is just details.

The best road might be dirt - the worst a paved road like a roller coaster.
I concur, to add: Not knowing is part of the adventure.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Running on a bad road is a very good place to take off the WD bars and tow on the ball. There is much less force on the A frame in dips, less chance of dragging the rear, and you are not going fast enough to sway. From watching the Zion tow video. It is faster and cheaper to unhitch and run roads with just the TV first than it is to have to be towed. For rough roads I would want tires with a lot of tread that are fairly softly inflated. Roads with trees close worry me because the trailer can tip into the trees if the tires hit a rut or pothole.

I personally do not take the trailer on anything worse than well maintained gravel. Washboarding is a no go for me. Slick and narrow is out. Going somewhere I cannot turn around is out. So my advise is somewhat theoretical, not from experience. Except for the part about driving it ahead of time without the trailer. Getting stuck or broken down in the boonies or hitting a tree with the trailer is not on my happy list of things to get done soon. Monument Valley is one place I drove first and then did not go with the trailer. My truck dragged the hitch several times running empty. Nice camp with hookups in Bluff.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Running on a bad road is a very good place to take off the WD bars and tow on the ball. There is much less force on the A frame in dips, less chance of dragging the rear, and you are not going fast enough to sway. .......f.
Hi

Assuming the load on the rear axle is still "ok" without WD doing it's thing.....

Bob
Old 10-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Assuming the load on the rear axle is still "ok" without WD doing it's thing.....

Bob
What's WD Bob? Remember...Total newb here.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Weight distribution [hitch usually].

"Acronyms" search results here on AF:

https://www.google.com/search?q=acro...com&gws_rd=ssl
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-28713.html

FYI, using the desktop version of this site [not the App], the new search function in the blue box above works great.

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
It'll go anywhere you'd take a famly sedan. If you wouldn't take a sedan, don't take the Airstream.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I will add to think in 3-D. It's sometimes not the road, but the roadside that may pose a problem. Low hanging limbs and such. And when people say go slow, that can mean walking pace depending on conditions.

Honestly getting in and out of gas stations can be just as big of a problem.

Also, look for "decorative" problems. We have seen campsite roads lined with tree stumps that in effect make the road and turns deceptively narrow-- making it nearly impossible to navigate especially when backing (I'm talking to you-Signal Mountain Campground in GTNP). Other campgrounds like to use large boulders to this effect as well.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Check this out:

They can handle a lot more than you would expect...at least the vintage ones!

Shari
An amazing video! Wally Byam was an amazing individual. You don't have those kinds of caravans today.
Worth watching!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We frequently visited "boondocking / no services" forest service campgrounds accessed by gravel or dirt roads with no problems ... just slow down.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
The Airstream BaseCamp was supposed to be the trailer for more "off road" Jeep-type campers; designed with a better departure angle, to be lighter, with rear cargo doors (the original Nissan designed one had ramps so you could load bikes, for instance)

However, the execution of that trailer is still, on it's 2nd version (now version 2.1) still evidently in Beta. The product still has many issues, as owners here on this forum can attest. However it does have a fan base.

Maybe that trailer, once all the problems are fixed, may be right up your alley.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
What's WD Bob? Remember...Total newb here.
Hi

The trailer is heavy. The tongue of the trailer puts a load on the bumper of your tow vehicle. This "tongue weight" adds to the load that already is on the tow vehicle from the passengers and "stuff" you have in it.

Your tow vehicle has a sticker (usually on the driver side door post) that gives you the capacities of the axles on the vehicle and its maximum loading. If you head over to a weigh scale, you likely will find that the rear axle of the tow vehicle is closer to it's max ratings (or maybe over them) than the front axle.

A weight distributing hitch is essentially a spring that effectively "moves" weight between the front and rear axles on the tow vehicle. The force it applies at the hitch does this.

If you are relying on the WD hitch to keep the rear axle in the safe zone, pulling the bars off ( = turning off the WD function) and heading down a rough road probably isn't a good idea.

All of this is a good reason to carefully consider the ratings on your tow vehicle. Many of us go with somewhat "oversized" tow vehicles so that we have some "extra room" (margin) against all the specs.

Bob