Old 10-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Monrovia , California
Lots of very good advice, we bought a 2017 19’ AS for stargazing. Most dark sites in so cal are off the beaten path. We tow with an LX 570. The worst road was a flash flood washed out dirt road, a culvert had wash out and the dip was a bit much for the bumper. Fortunately the bolts Holding it on simply sheared. Since, we added the axel lift kit, tows equally as nice with the lift. Airstreams are very easy to scratch, so any brush hanging in the road will leave ‘desert pin stripes’ . Much softer than automotive paint. We found gravel gets kicked into the rock guards. I think going slow on a washboard road is easier on the AS than a sudden bad patch of interstate. We have had very few problems but I inspect frequently for anything loose, water heater, inverter, etc., screws and rivets and take care of it. Have Fun!!

Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Wyomissing , Pennsylvania
rough road conditions?

Not sure if your Caravel has inverter mounted on cabinet sidewall under bed, like my 2017 19' FC, but bumpy concrete sections of interstate highways here in PA ripped my inverter off its mount - twice. Big wiring meltdown under the unattached inverter the second time, and almost almost an under-bed fire. After second incident reinstalled horizontally on flat floor space.

Also drop your table top to travel.

Remember that these trailers have very little to no shock-absorbing or dampening capacity. Solution? If on bad roads, slow way down and check mounts often....

takeiteasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasy View Post
..... bumpy concrete sections of interstate highways here in PA ripped my inverter off its mount - twice. .....
Hi

Poorly paved interstates in PA? Tell me it's not true

Other than Indiana, I don't think there is a state we've been to (and we are up around 30 or so) that has as much trouble paving the roads as PA. I've been on dirt roads in Montana that were in better shape than some PA interstates.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #24
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Silver City , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Poorly paved interstates in PA? Tell me it's not true

Other than Indiana, I don't think there is a state we've been to (and we are up around 30 or so) that has as much trouble paving the roads as PA. I've been on dirt roads in Montana that were in better shape than some PA interstates.
Bob

Wait, hold my beer...

Lousiana interior and interstate highways (both!). Hurricanes plus graft seem to hold priority over highway repair...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Not sure if your Caravel has inverter mounted on cabinet sidewall under bed, like my 2017 19' FC, but bumpy concrete sections of interstate highways here in PA ripped my inverter off its mount - twice. Big wiring meltdown under the unattached inverter the second time, and almost almost an under-bed fire. After second incident reinstalled horizontally on flat floor space.
Just in case anyone does not take this seriously: There is an official NHTSA recall for certain 19 foot trailers because of this fire hazard.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...rs-201383.html
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Newberg , Oregon
This is all excellent information!

Really getting to like this place as a go-to for information and experience.
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Swing on down to I-10 in Louisiana and let me know what you think. I havenít traveled as much in PA but they are the worst roads I have encountered in 45 states of travel.
TxTravelsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
In PA this past summer and was amazed by how bad the PA Turnpike was. What do they do with the toll money?

But, I have to agree that the lower 48 winner and still champion is Louisiana, especially I10. Also US 190. Not to mention I20 in the vicinity of Shreveport.
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:

Also drop your table top to travel.

Remember that these trailers have very little to no shock-absorbing or dampening capacity. Solution? If on bad roads, slow way down and check mounts often....

Um, my old trailer has both shock absorbers and torsion axles and rides really well. If you are finding things like all the clothes off the hangars, pillows on floor, inverters coming unhorsed etc., something else is going on. Just my 2 cents...

I
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTravelsUSA View Post
Swing on down to I-10 in Louisiana and let me know what you think. I havenít traveled as much in PA but they are the worst roads I have encountered in 45 states of travel.
Hi

I've been to Louisiana, but I haven't lived there and checked lots of roads over years and years. The ones I drove (not I-10) were in pretty good shape. I lived in Indiana and now live in PA. *Lots* of research on those roads ....

Indeed, I-75 in Michigan is a mess right now. That's just one road. The rest of the state is generally in pretty good shape. It's when virtually every road in the state has issues that you conclude they just don't care ....

Bob
Old 10-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Wyomissing , Pennsylvania
reply to n2916s

[Um, my old trailer has both shock absorbers and torsion axles and rides really well. If you are finding things like all the clothes off the hangars, pillows on floor, inverters coming unhorsed etc., something else is going on. Just my 2 cents...]

I'm suspecting that since your trailer has two axles and shock-dampening suspension components, that helps smooth-out the bumps quite a bit. Bambi's only have one axle and a minimal suspension to take the full hit.
takeiteasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Westbound I-10 in Louisiana is the worst. Eastbound I-30 & I-40 across Arkansas is the best of my 26 states visited.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Newberg , Oregon
Well, well well. The Caravel is in the driveway now, and we're loading it up. Sweet little home away from home. We've been living in it out front to test systems and work the bugs out. Way easier to run into the house for something than run 20 miles down a dirt road to a country general store!

One shakedown cruise to Nehalem Bay State park that was a comedy of errors, but a great experience. How can a couple who have camped off grid for more than 30 years, and can put a full load out in a Jeep for a ten days backwoods adventure, in under an hour forget things as simple and basic as coffee? I laughed, wife laughed, Spud laughed...good times. (Named the Caravel Spud. It looks like a baked potato wrapped in tin foil behind the Suburban. ) it tows great and is very maneuverable.

Learned that it's a LOT taller than it looks. And wider. Poor Spud got it's first pin stripe down the side. Luckily, it buffed right out and taught me a valuable lesson. Learned the stabilizers are just that. Stabilizers. These things are pretty easy to tweak.

I've been running it down the road, in my head, for two weeks now. Lots of yups, that'll work, and lots of nope, that won't. Hopefully my head games will help us stay out of trouble.

Working out a system of communication between the Jeep and the tow rig for getting in and out of places. Scout the route in the Jeep together, then move the home on wheels to the selected camping spot. Sounds good in theory anyway. We'll see. Might try to test it out on the Barlow Trail before the snow flies on the mountain. The north end is pretty smooth for a back country path, but it's still got a little of everything to deal with. Mud, sand, dirt, gravel.

Boondocking is fun, in an Airstream!
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worthington , Minnesota
Travel SD! They have nearly redone all of I90 east to west. Amazing. where did SD get the federal highway money? Ask Tom Daschel. Other secondary roads better than lots of others in the US.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSE View Post
Well, well well. The Caravel is in the driveway now, and we're loading it up. Sweet little home away from home. We've been living in it out front to test systems and work the bugs out. Way easier to run into the house for something than run 20 miles down a dirt road to a country general store!

One shakedown cruise to Nehalem Bay State park that was a comedy of errors, but a great experience. How can a couple who have camped off grid for more than 30 years, and can put a full load out in a Jeep for a ten days backwoods adventure, in under an hour forget things as simple and basic as coffee? I laughed, wife laughed, Spud laughed...good times. (Named the Caravel Spud. It looks like a baked potato wrapped in tin foil behind the Suburban. ) it tows great and is very maneuverable.

Learned that it's a LOT taller than it looks. And wider. Poor Spud got it's first pin stripe down the side. Luckily, it buffed right out and taught me a valuable lesson. Learned the stabilizers are just that. Stabilizers. These things are pretty easy to tweak.

I've been running it down the road, in my head, for two weeks now. Lots of yups, that'll work, and lots of nope, that won't. Hopefully my head games will help us stay out of trouble.

Working out a system of communication between the Jeep and the tow rig for getting in and out of places. Scout the route in the Jeep together, then move the home on wheels to the selected camping spot. Sounds good in theory anyway. We'll see. Might try to test it out on the Barlow Trail before the snow flies on the mountain. The north end is pretty smooth for a back country path, but it's still got a little of everything to deal with. Mud, sand, dirt, gravel.

Boondocking is fun, in an Airstream!
Hi

One way to deal with the "load up" process is to leave a certain amount of stuff in the trailer. Milk and eggs obviously aren't going to be on that list Various tools and spare parts certainly are. Basic kitchen stuff seems to be easier to duplicate than to haul back and forth. If linens go back in the trailer once washed, one less thing to haul out at departure time.

=====

There are two "easy" ways to go for backwoods communications. FRS VHF radios are the slam dunk here. They are cheap and have reasonable range. Operation is simple. They are push to talk. The vastly more expensive approach are satellite based devices. Garmin InReach is one example. With both of them there are specific situations where they aren't going to work, best to read up on that part.

Lots of fun !!

Bob