Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
I can't imagine you would need AC in the Grand Tetons. We often camp in-and-around the Tetons and Y'stone, northern ID, and never have needed AC, day or night. It is COLD at night, begins cooling down as the sun goes down, and we don't use the furnace, either. We open all the trailer windows at night, pile on the comforters (as recommended above), tuck a blanket around the dog and we're very comfortable.

Awnings all around can really help during the day, but be careful and never leave your awnings out unattended: wind in the mountains comes up very suddenly and gusts can be very strong, even among trees.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelly , Wyoming
Help a newbie...generator?

Righ on Vivian!, you sound like our kind of Boondocker with the no furnace, more comforters way of thinking! It was 41*f at the Gros Ventre campground last night (Aug. 19) and today's high is forecast to be all if 71*f.

We've had two awnings destroyed by the sudden winds you report. Not going to replace the last one. You can be just sitting there enjoying the a shade and wham it's over the top, on the off side' after pulling its brackets out of the Rv...😁 if nothing else it'll sure scare the heck outta you and your neighbors!!!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
Righ on Vivian!, you sound like our kind of Boondocker with the no furnace, more comforters way of thinking! It was 41*f at the Gros Ventre campground last night (Aug. 19) and today's high is forecast to be all if 71*f.

We've had two awnings destroyed by the sudden winds you report. Not going to replace the last one. You can be just sitting there enjoying the a shade and wham it's over the top, on the off side' after pulling its brackets out of the Rv...😁 if nothing else it'll sure scare the heck outta you and your neighbors!!
Hi Bob, we've never lost an awning (yet, heh heh) but we usually run a nylon strap over the awning and tie it off to two huge, heavy pre-cast concrete pylons on either side of the awning. They're a pain in the patoot to carry in the truck, but we feel our big awning is safer with those in place. We also roll up our awnings at night or if we leave the trailer in case a quick storm blows up.

We would just as soon not have the heck scared out of us or our neighbors!

Aren't comforters great? And they don't have to be expensive: ours come from thrift stores--just bought a high-quality king-size down comforter for $4 (it was in the dogbed bin because it was dirty!!!), had it dry cleaned ($25, came out spotless). Now I will cut it in half and bind the raw edges, creating two high-quality twin down comforters for ~$15 apiece for our twin beds in the various A/Ss! You can't beat them thrifts!

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelly , Wyoming
Help a newbie.. generator?

Like some folks shouldn't drink beer, well, I shouldn't own an awning, or even be near one!

I'm off to the turnover shop first chance I get!👍👊✊ I have bought dog quilts and such there and one time got a beautiful hand made afghan (sp?) for $2.00. Someone was probably going over a parent's estate and just couldn't be bothered with it. Been there, done that! I didn't even know it until I got home and my wife saw it!

Hope your not in Jackson Hole right now as we've been deluged with rain all month long and some fresh snow on the Grand Tetons. The good news, as you know, is that Septembers are usually so fantastic here. Whoops, I should post such stuff to the IN👀
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just an update on my use of the 4,000 watt generator w/electric start I purchased from Northern Tool.

Mounted in the bed of my pick up truck which has a hard tonneau, hinged at the front, I ran this with the tonneau open, the generator with a hard rubber mat, wrapped across the top, allowing good airflow at both ends.

Results: From 10 feet away, the noise was very much like the 3000 watt Honda units with the sound proofing….

I will be constructing a more sophisticated sound deadening cover, and this will no doubt be very quiet. Note: the generator was about $600. I am impressed so far, after about two tanks of fuel. This unit starts instantly when the key is turned. The only drawback may be no remote start, but even this could be rigged up I suspect.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post

Results: From 10 feet away, the noise was very much like the 3000 watt Honda units with the sound proofing….

Sounds like a score; that would be interesting to hear.
There are two Honda 3000 units: the iS which is quieter at near full output than the Eu2000i is at idle ...and the 3000 Handi which is much louder.