Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
Here is my simple solution.
I do the same thing. When I had a LY motorhome, I made a monopod out of galvanized plumbing pipe with a 10-inch square wood "table top". I would lean this against the side of the motorhome and hoist a 5-gallon blue can of water on it. I had changed the cheapo plastic valve for a brass one with a hose thread on it, and I let gravity fill the tank.

Now that I have a 32-foot Excella, I just got a 4-foot step ladder and I'll hoist the 5-gallon blue water jug on it.

I'll be boondocking at Quartzsite (again) where I have to buy the water (5-cents a gallon for well water), and transport it back to the BLM area on Plomosa Road where I'll be camped. I make it a point to always have the 5-gallon jug with me, so I can always top up my water supply.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a 14 gallon container which I carry in the back of the TV. Two trips to the water source will fill the holding tank. I siphon the water into the trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Last year I switched from the jug toting and storing thing to the 45 gallon bladder and pump method. I LOVE IT! Don't know why I never did it before!

No lifting and stores much more easily than even a single 6 gal jug, let alone two.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
We also use the 45 gal. water bladder and a drill pump. The drill pump is small, lightweight, inexpensive (approx $20) and powered by our cordless drill. Keeps us from worrying about additional batteries and/or another motor to maintain. Have found the drill pump very easy to use since we don't have to plug it into a 12v socket.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I've thought about this, but haven't gotten as "high tech" as some of you. I'm using the "keep it simple, stupid" method ... (my wife always recommends that I use that sort of method!) No transfer pump, batteries to run down, etc. I just use gravity and patience.

I rely upon the blue Aquatainers ... but I just bought a hose barb that screws into the cap where the spigot usually goes. Attach a small food-grade vinyl hose, put the "jug" on tailgate or picnic table, etc., run the hos a little way down the water inlelt's fill tube, and go have a beer. Few minutes later, the water's in the tank and all is good once again.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #46
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I ended up getting a Moeller Scepter jerry-can like arrangement but haven't used it yet:

Amazon.com: Moeller Scepter Water Can (5-Gallon): Sports & Outdoors

I think the spout will make this work out OK without a table or pump.
Once again we were camped last fall for 7 weekends at the location where there is no vehicle accessible on-site water. Probably the last year for us but we'll see.

The Moeller Scepter can works very well. With its shape, the vent, and the flexible spout, it can be poured rapidly into the freshwater fill port without the use of pumps, or hoses. It empties fast enough that I don't feel like I need a table there to use it. The disadvantages are that it's not collapsible and it sits high enough that it won't fit under some low-to-the-ground spigots.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Woodland Park , Colorado
Many thanks!

Thanks all for your time in these responses. To be more clear, we are essentially trying to avoid drinking from the AS fresh water tank. In 10 years between 2 Airstreams, we have found the fresh tanks to have a plastic taste as well as a 'musty' taste in our older trailer. We do sanitize annually. We are not running out of water and our source is a routinely tested private well. We are brainstorming 'on board' containers for drinking water and continuing to use AS fresh for dishes, showers, etc. Thanks again!
movin-in is offline   Reply With Quote