Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This is an old thread but thought I could give some of you a heads up on a product I stumbled on and it's a good price. I went to Amazon website and looked at a square blue 7 gal. water tote container. They had them listed for $21.--. I didn't purchase it and figured I'd look at Walmart. The exact same blue container is $7.--.
This is the Relience Aqua-Tainer w/hideaway spigot on off tap. Model #9410.
I'll use and old fold up cart from luggage to hull it around if I need it on wheels. I actually bought two of the blue containers at that price. I think it's possible to stack them too. Reliance company is out of Canada and warranties the product for 5 years. That is from cracking, leaks or puncture under normal use.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Yep I got one of those too. I got a short length of food-quality plastic tubing from the local hardware store, snug fit into the spigot to run to the filler port. No funnel required!

steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Good idea. I'll get some tubing tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #32
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I ended up getting a Moeller Scepter jerry-can like arrangement but haven't used it yet: Moeller Scepter Water Can (5-Gallon): Sports & Outdoors

I think the spout will make this work out OK without a table or pump.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #33
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
When I fill my water containers with reverse osmosis water the store has on hand, spray bottles of hydrogen peroxide solution for disinfecting the container. A shot of water, and a squirt of peroxide, and rinse out your container.

I don't know all the scientific details but I think hydrogen peroxide is a better choice than Clorox (chlorine).
Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Seems to me that peroxide would leave a bitter taste, but I guess you rinse it all off, correct?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I must have missed the rinsing part that you mentioned in the earlier post.
I guess I had a brain fart. Never mind.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
The Reliance Aquatainers are an excellent product. We actually own 6 and can then carry enough water (42 gallons) to refill the tank on our Sport twice for longer adventures! I use Purogene in each container to prevent any contamination.
Hibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If we know we can get water in the campground we take a 6 gal container (empty) attached to a luggage cart to bring water to the AS... then we use the old "lift the container and pour into a funnel" method...very low tech... We tried using the tube attachment that came with the jug, but we ended up losing more water on the ground than we put in! I found an inexpensive 90 degree plastic oil funnel at camping world...It has a large funnel opening...I cut off the small 90 degree section at the exit end...the remaining portion fits into the water port and the funnel stays in place on its need to hold it...which has made my life ever so much easier!

If water is not available — and we aren't parking next to Louis & Sergio and their 45 gal bladder — we take two of the 7 gal square blue containers full and conserve usage where we can. This give us enough water for about 5 or 6 days if we are careful.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #38
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I've filled water tanks from plastic 55 gallon water barrels... the hot ticket is a 12 V pump & two RV potable water hoses. Wait for a bit and you're done.

The 7 gallon containers work well - and I like to use the pump w/ them as well....

- Bart
Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #39
30' 1999 Excella
Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Here's another thread (started by yours-truly)... we still use the 50-gallon bladder with transfer pump to this day, although if we just need to extend a bit longer (i.e., one extra day) we'll use a couple of 5-gallon jugs.

Note the key difference in what's being discussed here.

If you want to refill your fresh water tank, you need something that pours eaily with a free-flowing nozzle. That's different from a container with a spigot that lays on its side and can be used to fill another container (or glass). These aren't practical for refilling your tank, unless you use a transfer pump.
Hey, its the only way to be sure!
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Tin Diesel,
If you were refering to the product mentioned earlier, Relience Aqua -Tainer, it can fill the A/S tank either by spigot or by using a funnel in water fill on the stream and pouring the waterfrom the hole in the top of the Aqua Tainer. Or, a pump could be used with it too, if needed.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
Here is my simple solution.
I do the same thing. When I had a LY motorhome, I made a monopod out of galvanized plumbing pipe with a 10-inch square wood "table top". I would lean this against the side of the motorhome and hoist a 5-gallon blue can of water on it. I had changed the cheapo plastic valve for a brass one with a hose thread on it, and I let gravity fill the tank.

Now that I have a 32-foot Excella, I just got a 4-foot step ladder and I'll hoist the 5-gallon blue water jug on it.

I'll be boondocking at Quartzsite (again) where I have to buy the water (5-cents a gallon for well water), and transport it back to the BLM area on Plomosa Road where I'll be camped. I make it a point to always have the 5-gallon jug with me, so I can always top up my water supply.
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a 14 gallon container which I carry in the back of the TV. Two trips to the water source will fill the holding tank. I siphon the water into the trailer.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote