Old 08-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
green boondockin'

Feeling in a very environmentally correct mood,I ask the question,does anyone boondock green? Of course a generator is a no no. But what else can I do to camp green and save the planet?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't know if you're going to "save the planet", or anything else for that matter, but if you want to go green, go solar. The solar panels will keep your batteries charged and that will power your trailer, all except the microwave and the air conditioner.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I would argue that boondocking in general is very green. It is low impact, water use is usually reduced as is power usage. In fact, I would dispute the idea that generator usage is inconsistent with being green. When you are running off 12V, you tend to watch how much power you are using. Using all the power I want, a 5 gallon tank of gas goes for weeks. Water lasts me a week.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Don't know if you're going to "save the planet", or anything else for that matter, but if you want to go green, go solar. The solar panels will keep your batteries charged and that will power your trailer, all except the microwave and the air conditioner.
I agree with SteveH....solar is the way to go! Our trailer has one permanently mounted panel on the roof and one that can be moved around, for times when the AS is parked in the shade. We removed the two batteries that came with our trailer and replaced them with 4 AGM batteries (liquid-free). We seldom need to worry about our electrical use, as long as there is sun during the day....including HDTV use and internet!

When I was growing up, I recall boondocking in my parents' SOB, and they had a gas light with a mantle for light! I think LED conversions would also save on electrical use these days.

Cheers

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Don't get hung up on the Green nonsense. It is a farce and at this point nothing more than a marketing ploy. If the green-weenies were honest, they would tell you that anything you travel in less than a three cylinder Geo(Chevy) Metro (which I do when I a not camping) is environmentally incorrect. Please don't be conned into anything.
Camp on.
Of course, anything you can do to simplify you camping experience will enhance your enjoyment!

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Green Boondocking!

Thank you for posting your questions and interest in "going green". Yes there is a lot of hype, but there is also a lot you can do. I agree that boondocking is conservative by nature, but solar power, composting toilets, biodegradable soaps, and many other waste reducing measures can all help lessen our impact on our campsites and on the environment. To see more about what we have tried to do, visit out website at www.ecodiscoverytour.com

Best,

FLYNCLD
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Green Wennies unite, Darth Vader lives.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my opinion is that if you want to boondock GREEN you should just camp in your driveway or yard. With all the fuel used to get anywhere, going camping in the first place, [I get 11.5 MPG] you are far from being GREEN. This reminds me of a co-worker, many years ago, who would buy and eat, a full box of chocolate donuts and drink a "diet" Pepsi. Tow your trailer to the camp sight with a bicycle, that's GREEN.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I knew the term "green" would cause some controversy.I do in fact boondock in the backyard many times during the year.Still tied down to a time consuming form of employment, the 100'x175' backyard serves me well as a boondock.The question remains,when I am out and about and the '63 Safari rolls to a stop,what can I do to avoid waste.Solar power answers alot of questions.Using a small generator and conserving fuel over an extended stay is admirable as well.Posing the question how can I boondock green shows me where Airstreamers heads are at.Judging from the replies,it is a good place.Going into the deep end of the pool now, the green question is not so much about fuel as it is about water.The idea of a compost toilet sounds like a pain in the ass.Dump stations in hind sight also make me pucker.I would be happy as you know what to avoid the whole scenario.With 'destain' ,I would suggest a 'waterless movement'.Knowing full well the prospect will cock a few heads,I see no other choice.How else can the 10 mpg money pit be equalized?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Actually, the toilet in an AS uses much less water (if used properly) than those in our homes (which use 2-3.5 gals of water per flush depending on the type)...since there is really no "flush" per se...so using the toidy in the AS is greener than using the one at home! Go figure. We have a fairly small fresh water tank, so we really work to conserve water when we are dry camping.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
You will always use water in the AS for handwashing, dishwashing, bathing etc. A composting toilet would be an unnecessary conservation measure if the gray water was used to evacuate the toilet. There are already sepearte tanks for gray and black water. All you would need to do is tap the gray tank and plumb it with a 2nd on-demand pump to the toilet supply. You could retain the potable water supply to the toilet in case you had no gray water for use. This could easily be done at the factory or during a major renovation.

As an architect, we know that the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) program developed by the USGBC has promoted gray water reuse as a conservation measure in our built environment. To learn more about green buildings visit: www.usgbc.org
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Good points all. Airstreamers do care,as if there were ever a doubt.Camp on, my bauxite buddies,and GO in peace.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Stream'n IS green, it's the house with no wheels thats a problem.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Our gray water tank is always the first tank to fill. I have thought that using gray water to flush would help with both saving fresh water and lessening the load on the gray water tank.

I have found that some of my water-saving habits in the Airstream are beginning to find their way into my home!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU